RAZR Returned

ghorig

Reaction score
My 14 days are up today. Returning the RAZR. I really liked the phone physically, but the battery life just couldn't cut it.
I tried the Smart Actions, and while they helped, I would barely get through the work day - with minimal use on the phone.
With my OG Droid, as the phone got older the battery life got worse. If that happens with the RAZR, there aren't too many options.
I figured I'd bail while I still can. Back on my OG. Waiting for the GNex and Droid 4.

It was a nice phone...

Semaj

Reaction score
Got mine last night and agree the battery is horrible. But what I find irritating is the overall typeface or font size or whatever you call way too small. I don't have young eyes anymore. Probably returning this weekend and go back to my TBolt and wait for the Nexus.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

SANhacker

Reaction score
I know what you mean about the battery life. When I first got the RAZR it was terrible. Like 10% per hour. After three weeks and a couple of deep cycles I am using like 2% per hour. What a difference. :biggrin:

Semaj

Reaction score
I know what you mean about the battery life. When I first got the RAZR it was terrible. Like 10% per hour. After three weeks and a couple of deep cycles I am using like 2% per hour. What a difference. :biggrin:

What so you mean by deep cycles?

J

JriderG

You know.... deep cycles....lol

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

dsprik

Reaction score
I believe they are talking about allowing the batt to drain all the way down then charge all the way back to 100%.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

SANhacker

Reaction score
I believe they are talking about allowing the batt to drain all the way down then charge all the way back to 100%.

LOL. Exactly. Charge to 100% and drain till power off. I've now done this three or four times and what a difference. I was skeptical at first but am now a believer. This in combination with Smart Actions have made this phone last longer than my OG battery life. Not by a little, I'm talking miles ahead.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
My 14 days are up today. Returning the RAZR. I really liked the phone physically, but the battery life just couldn't cut it.
I tried the Smart Actions, and while they helped, I would barely get through the work day - with minimal use on the phone.
With my OG Droid, as the phone got older the battery life got worse. If that happens with the RAZR, there aren't too many options.
I figured I'd bail while I still can. Back on my OG. Waiting for the GNex and Droid 4.

It was a nice phone...
Well, sorry to see you go...hope you like the Nexus or Droid 4, but I wouldn't expect much difference in battery life since they are both 4g phones.

The following rant is not direct towards you or anyone else complaining about battery life, I just have to say it and get it off my chest: I don't understand why users complain about battery life on these 4g phones. What do they expect...when asked how they have them set up and what they do with them, they respond; "watched a movie and some videos all day over 4g, streamed my music from Pandora for about 4 hours, sync with Facebook every 10 minutes, browsed the web for about an hour, read a book, made about an hour of phone calls and 100 text messsage.... and I have Bluetooth, GPS and WiFi on all the time...REALLY...GIVE ME A BREAK. I don't claim to have the perfect set up or exercise the smartest use of my phone but I turn my phone on a 630AM, process 30-40 business/personal emails, respond to 20 or so text messages, browse the web for about 20 minutes and make or receive about 1 hour of phone calls and at the end of the day (usually 1130PM) I have 75-80% of my battery left with no smart actions activated. Yes, I have WiFi turned on only when I can get it, never have Bluetooth or GPS on when not actively using them and my screen brightness turned down to 40% and screen off after 1 minute. Watching a movie, reading a book or listening to music on a cell phone is beyond my understanding...that is why they make HD TVs, great stereo equipment and bound books.

rogerthat227

Reaction score
Got mine last night and agree the battery is horrible. But what I find irritating is the overall typeface or font size or whatever you call way too small. I don't have young eyes anymore. Probably returning this weekend and go back to my TBolt and wait for the Nexus.

First about the battery...it seems there are a good number of people who just got bad phones in which the battery was defective. That being said, conditioning your battery when you first get your phone has been a HUGE help to me. Let the phone run all the way down and shut itself off, then charge it completely non-stop to 100%. Do this twice with a new phone and once every so often to remind the battery. Also, adding a few smart actions (there is an entire thread about them) has led to great leaps in battery life. With light use I'm getting 48 hours per charge and with heavy use I get about 24 hours.

As far as text size, there is an option and way to change this. In the messaging format, when at the screen where you can actually type the text msg, click the settings button on your phone (bottom left in case you were unaware) click more, and go to Resize Text. Simple as that. On browser as well, same thing...open it up, click settings button, go to more, and you can change text size and/or default zoom. Hope this helps, cause I absolutely LOVE my RAZR!

OP
G

ghorig

Reaction score
First about the battery...it seems there are a good number of people who just got bad phones in which the battery was defective. That being said, conditioning your battery when you first get your phone has been a HUGE help to me. Let the phone run all the way down and shut itself off, then charge it completely non-stop to 100%. Do this twice with a new phone and once every so often to remind the battery. Also, adding a few smart actions (there is an entire thread about them) has led to great leaps in battery life. With light use I'm getting 48 hours per charge and with heavy use I get about 24 hours.
I deep cycled the battery every time - it would run out at 4pm every day - had no choice in the matter :)
It was eating 10% an hour. No wifi, no bluetooth, no GPS. Screen off. Smart Actions enabled. Phone just laying on my desk - not being used at all - draining 10% an hour.

The guy at the booth in Costco was saying there are a number of defective batteries / phones out there and wanted me to just exchange it and try it again. I was on day 14. Didn't want to chance it. I'll wait for the GNex - I'm all about pure Google experience, but not a fan of the IPhoneish form factor on the GNex. I'll spend some time at the VZ store playing with the GNex. If I really hate the form factor that much, I'll go back to the RAZR and give that another shot - I really did like that phone.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I deep cycled the battery every time - it would run out at 4pm every day - had no choice in the matter :)
It was eating 10% an hour. No wifi, no bluetooth, no GPS. Screen off. Smart Actions enabled. Phone just laying on my desk - not being used at all - draining 10% an hour.

The guy at the booth in Costco was saying there are a number of defective batteries / phones out there and wanted me to just exchange it and try it again. I was on day 14. Didn't want to chance it. I'll wait for the GNex - I'm all about pure Google experience, but not a fan of the IPhoneish form factor on the GNex. I'll spend some time at the VZ store playing with the GNex. If I really hate the form factor that much, I'll go back to the RAZR and give that another shot - I really did like that phone.
Sorry to hear that...good luck...hope you get the phone that works for you.

shaggykid

Reaction score
You don't want to drain it empty every time. That could damage your battery. Just the first couple times and every so often as posted before

Sent from your mom's house using my Droid X

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
I just got a razr yesterday,and in one day of moderate use,ive seen the orange battery icon twice and charged twice..mine is a few weeks old i got it used,so the battery shoud be conditioned already.Im very concerned at this point...I understand about conditioning the battery,but who has time to do this? You cant replace the battery! If you run it down,you have no phone if you need to go....I work 6 days a week,and work odd jobs on my day off,with 3 kids,I cant afford to risk having a dead phone at anytime...if it was an ipod or extra device,no problem.This is my phone,and since i cant swap with battery and charging from 60% to full takes over an hour,i wont let it go below 40% unless its late and im home....Im thinking of trading for a bionic or just going back to the x2,which had much better battery life with the ext life batt...

Olmanrivah

Reaction score
Battery usage is such a user profile function. 1 guy has screen brightness turned up and is in a bad 3G area where it has to keep polling for service. The next guy lives in downtown Detroit where he gets 5 bars all the time and keeps his screen dim. The 1st guy will never be happy with any Smartphone. The 2nd can use any. :)

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Battery usage is such a user profile function. 1 guy has screen brightness turned up and is in a bad 3G area where it has to keep polling for service. The next guy lives in downtown Detroit where he gets 5 bars all the time and keeps his screen dim. The 1st guy will never be happy with any Smartphone. The 2nd can use any. :)
+1:rating10: