Just got the razr ....a few things I've noticed

OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
Off topic, but how did you get those screenshots. Are you rooted??
I have the same question....but also and more importantly......how the heck are you getting that much battery life? Can you PLEASE post up all of your settings and smart actions so i can try to get my battery life better

Icyhot1966

Reaction score
I went ahead and rooted. Now wondering which app is best for screenshots.

OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
cool well hopefully the guy that posted that screen shot posts up all his settings and smart actions

OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
So i am sitting next to my gf who has the razr.... her battery is At 39% and mine is at 29%. They have been off the charger for about the same time.....11 hrs. I have barely been on my phone today. I have smart actions that disable cell data when screen is off, I have my apps set to auto end after screen is off for 2 mins.....she has neither of the options set and her battery life is better .....but the kicker here is that he android OS was at 29% and mine is at 76%....... that seems to be killing my battery.....why is it that high. I've already deleted Pandora and Skype.....it doesn't make freaking sense.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Icyhot1966

Reaction score
Turn smart actions off and see how that works. Which program are you using to show exact battery percentages on the RAZR?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Honda you should just factory reset or delete all your apps and only load a few back at a time and monitor OS. 76% is nuts. Smart action will not save you at this time. Factory reset or uninstall everything and start from scratch. Load a few Apps at a time and run it for a full day until you find the offender.

Sent from Droid RAZR

Deron

Reaction score
I have my apps set to auto end after screen is off for 2 mins....

If I had to guess a culprit for draining your battery it's this. App killers or task killers are notorious for draining battery. Your app killer force closes the task and then the Gingerbread operating system turns it right back on. On and on they go, fighting with each other and draining your battery in the process. That is probably why your operating system is listed as a high percentage of battery use.

It is not Smart Actions that are draining your battery. I've used them and they don't drain my battery, they slow its drain. And my Operating System only uses a small percent of my battery power.

You should read some articles on App Killers or task killers and why they are not necessary for Android 2.2 or higher operating systems. A well designed app stays in memory (so as to quickly come back when you want to re-use it), but does not use battery power or tax the phone's resources when laying idle in the background. I suspect the phone uses overall less battery by keeping apps idle in the background. Killing these apps/tasks cause more battery drain since the operating system now has to reopen any apps from scratch and find available RAM to stick it in.

My advice is to not use task killers. Let Android do what it is designed to do. Stop getting in its way and you'll find your phone runs better and battery lasts longer. Apps laying idle don't ruin battery life. Bright screens, constant Facebook updates, 4g, and leaving WiFi on when not needed are things that ruin battery life.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/1...-life-as-expected-they-most-certainly-do-not/

http://androidspin.com/2010/05/25/why-you-dont-need-a-task-killer-app-with-android/

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dkaczmar

Reaction score
Ok guys and girls I need some serious advice. I have been reading threads and researching for days now and can't seem to come up with a definitive answer. I am the current owner of a Droid Bionic. I am suffering the famous "data connection loss" as most of you have heard about. With the update from Motorola I continue to lose data connectivity. I have decided to replace the phone and am in a tough spot. I really like the Razr but am extremely fearful that I may suffer the same fate as the Bionic. I read intermittent threads of Razr owners having the same issues. Doesn't seem as prevelent but if the problem is a combination of phone and network, maybe my area (Western New York) is at a higher risk. Also, I must admit Motorola has scared me with the way they are handling this. My next choice just came on the market today (Nexus) Although ICS seems cool, I know Razr will eventually get it. My concern is the data connection and speeds. I take recorded statements on my phone and email them to my office. (3-6 mb's) I also take photos and email them (12-15 at a time). I need a phone powerful enough to do this quickly. If I have data connection drops (as I do currently) this hinders my work. PLEAE HELP??

OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
OK so my phone is at 75% and its been off the charger for 3 hrs. I have sent 2 texts and the rest of the time its been just chilling next to me. I checked what's using the battery and OS is at 90%. I don't understand it. I deleted Pandora and Skype and I have only sent two texts. Could smart actions be causing this maybe?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
OK so my phone is at 75% and its been off the charger for 3 hrs. I have sent 2 texts and the rest of the time its been just chilling next to me. I checked what's using the battery and OS is at 90%. I don't understand it. I deleted Pandora and Skype and I have only sent two texts. Could smart actions be causing this maybe?

Did you factory reset? Did you delete ALL your apps? What apps are still installed? You have to give us a better picture.

What I'm trying to do is totally eliminate a rogue application. If we can do that then you can return the handset. If we can find the application that is causing the handset to stay busy we can get rid of it.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Ok guys and girls I need some serious advice. I have been reading threads and researching for days now and can't seem to come up with a definitive answer. I am the current owner of a Droid Bionic. I am suffering the famous "data connection loss" as most of you have heard about. With the update from Motorola I continue to lose data connectivity. I have decided to replace the phone and am in a tough spot. I really like the Razr but am extremely fearful that I may suffer the same fate as the Bionic. I read intermittent threads of Razr owners having the same issues. Doesn't seem as prevelent but if the problem is a combination of phone and network, maybe my area (Western New York) is at a higher risk. Also, I must admit Motorola has scared me with the way they are handling this. My next choice just came on the market today (Nexus) Although ICS seems cool, I know Razr will eventually get it. My concern is the data connection and speeds. I take recorded statements on my phone and email them to my office. (3-6 mb's) I also take photos and email them (12-15 at a time). I need a phone powerful enough to do this quickly. If I have data connection drops (as I do currently) this hinders my work. PLEAE HELP??
I can only speak for myself but the handoff between 4G and 3G has been perfect on the RAZR. I rarely lose data and when I do it's very brief. My Droid lost data at times as well so it's normal. Whats not normal though is constant data drops. The RAZR is excellent in regards to keeping signal/data.

I would hold off on the Nexus right now. It is going through a lot of growing pains and there is not s definitive answer if the connectivity issues are software related, hardware related or a combination of both. Wait for that whole thing to work itself out (if it ever does)

Zandar

Reaction score
I can only speak for myself but the handoff between 4G and 3G has been perfect on the RAZR. I rarely lose data and when I do it's very brief. My Droid lost data at times as well so it's normal. Whats not normal though is constant data drops. The RAZR is excellent in regards to keeping signal/data.

I would hold off on the Nexus right now. It is going through a lot of growing pains and there is not s definitive answer if the connectivity issues are software related, hardware related or a combination of both. Wait for that whole thing to work itself out (if it ever does)
A little bird told me there's a fix for the data drop issue coming out very, very soon. That said, I personally haven't had an issue with data drop other than one time (cycled Airplane Mode and it was all better).

OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
No I haven't done a factory reset. I guess that is the next step. I downloaded watchdog but nothing really seems to me hogging the battery. I will pay more attention and see what apps are keeping the OS busy.

OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
I also just got rid of all my apps that i had in stock task manager to close after 2 mins of screen being off....gonna see if not having this running helps at all

OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
So I did a factory reset. Installed some apps. Noticed my OS usage was lower and then I downloaded some more apps and OS jumped up to 75%. I was so lost. We'll I have the Phillips fidelio speaker dock and I downloaded the fidelio app along with the songbird app and I think those two apps were the culprits. I deleted them and OS went back down and battery life increased. Just sucks that I have this 200 dollar nice speaker dock and can't use it that much in fear of the stupid apps you have to download to use it killing my battery .....even when I'm not using it. Gay.