RAZR Returned

OP
G

ghorig

Reaction score
Why do people care to start threads like "got rid of xxx... because of xx" who rlly cares???.. u want cookies n milk or something? Why start a whole thread that results in trolling between supporters an haters of said returned device? Seen about ten of these... all pointless.. half get locked.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Why do you bother reading and commenting on these threads? I simply posted my experience with the device. I think I got a lemon and afteer seeing others not having the same issue, I now firmly believe I got a lemon. I might give the RAZR another try.

Sent from my OG Droid with a 2 yr old battery with 16 hours of moderate use, still have 15% to go, no SmartActions enabled.

OP
G

ghorig

Reaction score
I just noticed this thread on the Moto support forums.

[url]https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/62801

"[/URL]Issue #2
While looking at the battery usage on the Razr, I noticed that Android OS is using the majority of the battery this seems incorrect. I have checked my original droid and other android phones, yet I have never seem the OS use more or anywhere close to the display usage. Any info on this would be appreciated."

"For issue 2 I had the very same problem and it turned out to be improper provisioning upon first boot...to resolve the issue I did u full hard reset then set up my accounts as needed after the over the air activation process. Hope this helps!"

I was essentially seeing the same thing on my RAZR, where AndroidOS would take 49% of the battery usage.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
By deep cycling the lithium-ion battery in the Razr you are actually SHORTENING the lifespan of the battery. These batteries have no memory effect and SHOULD NOT be cycled. I quote:

"Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The smaller the depth of discharge, the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid frequent full discharges and charge more often between uses."

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

+1 Lithium Ion batteries actually prefer to be partially charged multiple times during the day rather than one long charge followed by one long drain cycle. You'd do yourself and your phone a lot of good by either taking your USB cable to work with you and plugging into your desktop, taking the TINY charging block, or investing in a spare that you carry with you, getting a car adapter, a desktop dock, or a booster pack and "topping off" your battery several times through the day.

Also, I've found that just because the phone says the battery is low early on doesn't mean it is. The phone needs to calibrate to the battery and your usage patterns which takes from several days to as long as a couple weeks before it gives relatively accurate readings. My phone complained of the battery at 15% on one particular occasion, then I got a phone call from a friend who doesn't know how to hang up. 45 minutes later the call ended and I still had 15%.

I would love to borrow the phones out there that others are complaining about battery life on, and give them a go. I'll bet it's not the phone or battery at all on most of them, but instead either the charging and usage patterns, apps or other services running for no reason, poor cellular coverage in certain areas they frequent, or features such as GPS, WIFI, 4G, or Bluetooth on for no reason and sucking the life out of them. I've been on battery for 14 hours today, made and received phone calls, surfed, played with Smart Actions and AutomateIt, listened to over two hours of streamed music off my home WIFI network at over 800Kbps FLAC, and have been on this forum for the past 2 hours, screen on the whole time in auto brightness, and my battery is reporting 70%! I just don't get it.

Now for someone who has a two year old D1 and is saying they're having battery problems with their new RAZR, I'm more inclined to believe they know how to use the phone properly and may very well have a defective unit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums