Razr Maxx Webtop Trackpad now blank

jroc42

Reaction score
FIXED! Razr Maxx Webtop Trackpad now blank

I'm using my Razr Maxx with the Motorola travel connector for running webtop. I've used it several times and for quite awhile yesterday and it has worked fine till now.

Today I plugged it in and started webtop. Webtop starts, I see the screen, but the phone screen which should become the trackpad, is now completely blank as though the screen is turned off. Consequently I cannot use it at all. Any ideas what may have caused this and how I foucld fix it? I did reboot already. I haven't rooted, not using any flashed rom or anything nonstandard.

update: I've found a workaround for this. Changing time settings so they are not set by network and then rebooting should fix this. This is documented here: Known Issues - Android Development

bclipscomb

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing. When I push the button to turn the screen back on, all I get is the lock screen. I can view my picture gallery and use the mirror function, but when I switch the dock mode to webtop my screen goes blank.

bclipscomb

Reaction score
I have spoken with VW twice about this and both time I was told that they would look into this and get back to me. The closest thing I got was a message to call Motorola directly about this issue. I am going to do this today. I will let you know what I find out.

OP
J

jroc42

Reaction score
No - I called motorola and they think the travel dock is faulty but I haven't sent it back yet.

surfpirate

Reaction score
No - I called motorola and they think the travel dock is faulty but I haven't sent it back yet.

I don't think its your travel dock. It's an issue likely with Motorola.

I have both the docking station and the webtop adaptor,
and webtop isn't working with either .... same issue .... the screen goes blank.

On a side note, I have the Otterbox defender case, which renders both the docking station
and the webtop adaptor unusable unless I remove the case and go to a naked phone.

I'm looking to pick up a short (5") Micro USB male/female cable to put in between both
devices so that I can enable webtop to work without removing the Otterbox case.

But .... until Verizon and/or Motorola fix this (apparent) bug in webtop .....

bclipscomb

Reaction score
I received a new HD Dock from Motorola yesterday. When I tried it the same thing was happening. Webtop shows up, but screen on phone goes blank. They said that they thought it was the phone. I am taking it to VW today. My biggest problem is that this phone is only a month and a half old and if there is something wrong they are going to try and give me a refurb phone. My phone still has plastic cover on back, it spends all of its time in an otterbox case.

OP
J

jroc42

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure its a software problem. I've tried another dock finally (an HD dock) and it has the same problem. Before you take your phone back and exchange it I would do a hard reset. You have to start over but its better than getting a refurb phone.

I'm not going to reset to fix this issue since I'm afraid whatever caused it will just happen again. I now have the full dock with USB keyboard and mouse which is *a lot* more usable anyway, for the way I want to use it at least.

OP
J

jroc42

Reaction score
Fixed!!!

I found a fix for this today!

I had noticed today, that after using webtop a system process "evbridge" was using 100% of one cpu core. Searching on this, I found this article: Known Issues - Android Development

He provides a fix through console (requires root) but I fixed this just by changing the time/date settings on my phone, as that will automatically rewrite /etc/localtime. What I did was uncheck the box to get time settings from network, then changed the timezone. Then I changed it back. Now webtop works properly and evbridge isn't thrashing my cpus. It does seem though, that I cannot turn on the network time settings or the problem will recur. Still this is a smaller thing to me.

jbmaxx

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thank you!!
At first I tried webtop with my HD dock and the phone just went to black screen. Then I bought the webtop adapter, thinking it may have been the dock, but it did the same. I had found other posts on this problem and they all seemed to end with misdiagnosis, refurbed or factory reset phones or a replaced dock. I unchecked auto time changed tz, rebooted and controls were there on the phone! then i changed it back and it still works. :)

Still have to play with it more but I like that the browser has the 2 finger scroll and 3 finger forward / back I got so used to on my laptop! One weird thing happened already, the trackpad stopped working. Not the clicks, just the movement. as I was messing with i found that if I held the phone portrait and opened the keyboard so it had the little trackpad at the top and it started working again and I finished what I was doing, after reboot it works again.. I work with electronics, and I see these odd, unrelated fixes sometimes, but tz? smh..

all in all webtop controls now work on my unrooted maxx, :hail: