RAZR Maxx screen is a bummer....

OP
TripleX

TripleX

Reaction score
I think the major part of my issue with the RAZR screen is the brightness level. It's like it needs another 25% more brightness on top of what max is. Probably something they done to conserve battery use.

Caesars

Reaction score
It was hard to make the decision, I lovvvved the Samsung screen. However the maxx screen is at most a tier down, and as I stated before the x2 screen was Just awful. When it came down to it, I wanted the extended battery built in so I wouldn't have to choose daily on extended battery no protection nexus, or beautiful broken screen - no cased nexus lol.

DROID RAZR MAXX

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I think the major part of my issue with the RAZR screen is the brightness level. It's like it needs another 25% more brightness on top of what max is. Probably something they done to conserve battery use.

If that's the case, then I'd say something is wrong with your phone. Mine is every bit as bright as my Droid X, if not brighter. In no way is the screen on the MAXX inferior to the Droid X, unless you have a problem with pentile screens.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
If that's the case, then I'd say something is wrong with your phone. Mine is every bit as bright as my Droid X, if not brighter. In no way is the screen on the MAXX inferior to the Droid X, unless you have a problem with pentile screens.

For me the X was useless outside in the daylight. As far as the Nexus in the sun, I can always see it well enough and the wallpaper that I have up makes a difference as well.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I actually like the screen on my maxx. It makes blues and reds pop. This is of course my opinion.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ahhh one of these threads again....lol

Agree with you bsweetness on alot of what you posted. I had the RAZR, G Nex and Rezound at one point. I have the RAZR and Rezound now, still have my Droid X1. What I can say about each screen: each has pros n cons. EVERY ONE is better in a couple of areas than the other....but no screen is across the board better than all. It just depends on what you prefer the most. This is the way I see it from the phones I had:

Colors, blacks I would give that to the RAZR and G Nex. Even tho the colors are considered more accurate on the Rezound and DX1...I like the pop from Amoled screens now. I didnt before...until I actually tried one...lol.
Sharpness I give that to the Rezound, DX1. Whichever one of those is the best the G Nex would be 3rd...the RAZR would be last. BUT....thats only at...closer.... than my normal viewing distance. At MY normal viewing distance....they all look so similar its a wash IMO.
Viewing angles - RAZR and G Nex.
Outside viewing - RAZR and G Nex.
Brightness, whites - Rezound or DX1 , RAZR, G Nex in that order. My RAZR was brighter, whiter, had less blue tint than my G Nex.

IMO....there is no hands down best screen, no screen is waaaay better than another. I'm not talking about specs...I'm talking about real world use. If any phone I had was supposed to have a hands down better screen than my RAZR and I didnt see it thru my eyes ....there needs to be more quality control on all these phones. Viewing angles and outdoor viewing goes hand in hand when trying to tilt the phone to avoid sunlight. And I keep hearing the Bionic has probably the best screen for viewing outdoors right now.

Of course...all this is just my opinion.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I have my Maxx set on full bright and love the screen - very vivid and no issues with pixelation...I also own a gNex and already confirmed in this thread, it too has a nice screen but I like my Maxx better. This is my preference & opinion of course...it seems as with every phone it is a love / hate relationship and you just have to find something that works for you ...

alboboy10

Reaction score
Ever watched a video on the nexus?

You watch a 720p YouTube video on an actual 720p screen. I haven't seen anything that looks better than this nexus and I played around with the rezound too.

LED>LCD.

OP
TripleX

TripleX

Reaction score
Something weird I noticed today... When I'm on the Google browser page it looks all dull and washed out. When I hit back or home to exit the browser the screen pops bright like it should be :blink: If I could get it to that brightness I would probably keep the phone. Guess I will go by the VZW store tomorrow and have them check it out.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow, did you guys not do a hands on testing before purchase?

----posted maxx'ed out----

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Something weird I noticed today... When I'm on the Google browser page it looks all dull and washed out. When I hit back or home to exit the browser the screen pops bright like it should be :blink: If I could get it to that brightness I would probably keep the phone. Guess I will go by the VZW store tomorrow and have them check it out.

My maxx does this too. I have the screen brightness set as dim as possible for extended battery life, but on certain web pages like your situation, it will brighten. Idk what the deal is. It should be interesting to to see what it might be.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
TripleX

TripleX

Reaction score
Wow, did you guys not do a hands on testing before purchase?

----posted maxx'ed out----

You make that sound easy for a phone that most stores can't even get in stock much less have one to show people :blink:

Chukee

Reaction score
You make that sound easy for a phone that most stores can't even get in stock much less have one to show people :blink:

Most corp stores have a display model so people can try it out. Also it did take a little getting used to the screen comming off of the thunderbolt but using the razr maxx in sunlight was much better than the thunderbolt and any other smartphone that i have owned. Movies show just as good on my maxx than other phones that i have owned.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I love these display quality debate threads. It always makes me laugh when folks try and argue over something that is so subjective. This is a subject that cannot be debated, because what looks good to one person may look like crap to another.

Bob - "Hey you have a RAZR? The screen on those is crap!"
Jim - "Well, I happen to LIKE my RAZR's screen. I think it looks great."
Bob - "No, trust me, it looks like crap."

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

Are you using the stock browser? If so try this:

Open the browser. Hit the Settings key. Hit More. Hit Settings. Scroll all the way down til you see Enable Battery Saving Mode. See if the box is checked. If it is uncheck it, back out or exit the browser and see if that helps.

Thats assuming you are using the stock browser.