RAZR Maxx screen is a bummer....

TripleX

Reaction score
Just got a Razr Maxx last week and I'm really bummed out by the display quality :frown: The phone is mega fast and very snappy but I just can't get past the screen... My old DX makes this thing look pitiful. Guess I'm going to take it back :icon_ cry:

ToeJamm

Reaction score
I hope that's unique to your phone. My Razr is coming next week and I am also coming from the DX. Have others noted problems with the screen?

OP
TripleX

TripleX

Reaction score
I'm sure it's not unique to my phone, Maybe I'm just being very picky about this... I just can't make myself like it. I find it very subpar to my DX display. The DX display is very bright and vibrant, all websites, pictures, icons, etc... are very sharp. This RAZR display just doesn't compare for me.

OP
TripleX

TripleX

Reaction score
My girlfriends comment was..." That screen is Pathetic! " she has a HTC Incredible and the display on it is way better also.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
You might want to look at the Rezound or GNex as they both have 720p displays.

OP
TripleX

TripleX

Reaction score
I'm going to check out the GNex sometime this week. I will probably just end up staying with the DX until the next round of phones are released.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I love the display coming from a charge, incredible b4 that and an og Droid to start. My son has the rezound and I don't notice much difference in display quality except when in bright sunlight...my Razr you can see perfectly fine, whereas his rezound you can't see the display at all in the sun. I'm going to have to test his and my phone out with the same pic on display and see what I notice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums

Caesars

Reaction score
I loved my Samsung screen however coming directly from a DROID x2 screen, my maxx looks like a mullion bucks lol

DROID RAZR MAXX

OP
TripleX

TripleX

Reaction score
Do the DX and DX2 have different screens ?

alboboy10

Reaction score
Yea that's my gripe with Motorola as well. Their screens are not that great. The razr screen is pretty bad in my opinion I tried it and although I was dead set on the nexus the razr screen helped me go with the nexus.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
My guess is the dx and dx2 have the same screen. If anything, dx2 should be better. I think you may have gotten a bad phone. My screen is scores above my incredible, better than my Droid charge, little difference if any to my sons rezound (except in the sun). I would go to a Verizon store and compare the Razr, rezound and nexus. Keep in mind that the nexus display is superior but I have read many threads where ppl were very happy switching from the nexus to the Razr bc the phone signal and data signals were so poor on the nexus.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Just got a Razr Maxx last week and I'm really bummed out by the display quality :frown: The phone is mega fast and very snappy but I just can't get past the screen... My old DX makes this thing look pitiful. Guess I'm going to take it back :icon_ cry:

If the screen on your RAZR MAXX looks worse than the screen on your Droid X, then there's something wrong with your phone or perhaps pentile screens aren't for you.

I also have a Galaxy Nexus, and its screen is definitely better than the MAXX. But the MAXX doesn't pale in comparison. It can hold its own rather well. And the benefits of the MAXX over the Nexus cause me not to notice it because it is a decent screen (and more readable in sunlight than the screen on the Galaxy Nexus). It's certainly miles ahead of the Droid X (which I had for 8 months).

The other explanation could be that your eyes don't take kindly to pentile screens. If that's the case, you won't like the Nexus either as it's also pentile. Some people have major problems with pentile screens. Most don't. I have uncorrected 20/15 vision, and they don't bother me in the slightest unless for some reason I put the screen within a few inches of my eyes. The screen on the Rezound isn't pentile, so you may want to look at that one.

Yes, the Droid X2 has a qHD screen that is noticeably better than the Droid X. The RAZR MAXX also has a qHD screen, but it's a Super AMOLED Advanced panel that shows a noticeable improvement over the X2. So again, if the screen on your MAXX looks worse to you than the Droid X, there either has to be something wrong with your phone, or you're one of the few who have eyes that don't like pentile screens.

Keep in mind that the nexus display is superior but I have read many threads where ppl were very happy switching from the nexus to the Razr bc the phone signal and data signals were so poor on the nexus.

I'm definitely one of these people. The Nexus is a great device, just not the greatest phone. The MAXX has much better reception all around (voice, data, GPS, WiFi, etc.) plus the fantastic battery. I really loved the Nexus, but if I couldn't actually use it due to constantly poor reception (in areas where other Verizon smarthphones have really good reception) or a draining battery, it really wasn't of any use to me. In my opinion, the MAXX is just a better all around device. The Rezound is a solid choice as well. It doesn't have the greatest battery life, but several people report it having reception as good as if not better than the MAXX (for many it seems to hold a LTE connection better, but I haven't had any issues maintaining a connection on my MAXX). Between that and a great screen, the Rezound would be my second choice behind the MAXX after having used the Nexus for a couple months.

alboboy10

Reaction score
The maxx better in the sun than the nexus? Lol negative. I've seen the two side by side and the nexus is great.

The nexus screen is WAYYYYY better than the maxx one

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Yes, they do not have the same screen the DX has a 854x480 standard screen while the DX2 has a 960x540 pentile matrix display.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The maxx better in the sun than the nexus? Lol negative. I've seen the two side by side and the nexus is great.

You can have your opinion based off seeing the two side by side, but I actually own them both and have used them extensively side by side in a variety of lighting conditions. In direct sunlight, the screen on the MAXX is definitely more visible than the Nexus. This is probably due to the fact that the MAXX screen actually has a higher maximum brightness level. The majority of people who have used both for any amount of time in those conditions have come to the same conclusion. But the fact that's more visible doesn't mean it's a better screen...

The nexus screen is WAYYYYY better than the maxx one

... because you're right that overall the Nexus definitely has a better screen than the MAXX. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would argue otherwise. Indoors, or in a heavily shaded area, there's a stark difference between the two, with the Nexus winning hands down. There's no doubt about it. It's just that it's not as visible in direct sunlight as the MAXX.