Replacing a Razr Maxx screen with one from a Razr... possible?

derpy

Reaction score
My trusty Maxx finally had it and decided to try and rage against the side of a table before taking a 4ft tumble to the wood floor and *smack* it face down. The screen no longer lights up, and there is clearly a crack there. A little bit of light comes through some of the cracks, but that's all.

I have some parts from an old Droid Razr including a working screen and digitizer in housing. At first glance it seems like it would fit, but before I tear my Maxx apart, can anyone here tell me if this screen would even work in my Razr Maxx? The phones are basically the same spec with a few minor differences. I believe they both use super AMOLED screens (please correct me if I'm wrong) but I don't know if that qHD technology listed on the Maxx would be a problem with the Razr's screen.

Thank you!

YellowJacket

Reaction score
The only difference between the Razr and the Razr Maxx are the battery, the back cover, and the motorola emblem over the earpiece. All the other internal hardware is identical.

David

OP
derpy

derpy

Reaction score
Awesome. I'll give it a try sometime this week and report back. Just in case anyone else wants to know.

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
As stated, it should work, as long as it's the original razr and original maxx, not the hd version of either

We are the Droid!!
You will be assimilated!!
Resistance is futile!!

OP
derpy

derpy

Reaction score
I just finished the transplant and everything is working great! The screen I had was from a blue razr, but like you guys said, none of that mattered. So for anyone else wondering, you absolutely can replace a Maxx screen with one from a Razr. dancedroid

LakeMountD

Reaction score
I just finished the transplant and everything is working great! The screen I had was from a blue razr, but like you guys said, none of that mattered. So for anyone else wondering, you absolutely can replace a Maxx screen with one from a Razr. dancedroid

Interesting. So I broke my Razr maxx and I wanted to put the battery and back cover into my wife's regular razr. I noticed the battery is held in differently in the Maxx, does this make a difference transplanting it over to the regular razr?

pistacio

Reaction score
Interesting. So I broke my Razr maxx and I wanted to put the battery and back cover into my wife's regular razr. I noticed the battery is held in differently in the Maxx, does this make a difference transplanting it over to the regular razr?

Yes, absolutely! You will need the aluminum battery frame from the maxx to replace the one in the razr along with the back cover and Sim card flap.

Advice, use a razor blade to CAREFULLY wedge the camera plate cover off (to access screw underneath it). These break and peel very easily. Or just buy one for cheap on eBay.

Sent from my DROID RAZR w/MAXX conversion using Tapatalk 2