RAZR MAXX - Damaged Phone--Re-Flash?

HowD

Reaction score
Hello, all.

Tried searching but all I am finding are posts that explain how to access the internal file storage on a functioning (or at least boot-able) phone.

At this point it's somewhat after-the-fact but I'd like to learn from this experience if I may. The phone is well past warranty and...no insurance.

My wife's RAZR MAXX fell into a tub of Epsom salts and water (some free advice--be careful when answering a call while soaking one's feet). The general advice is to not power on a phone that has become wet. However, the phone was already on when it was immersed in water. It worked briefly and then the screen went blank.

The external SD card was OK and I was able to retrieve the few files that were on there. The rest were on the internal storage.

We followed the usual advice of putting the phone into a bag of rice for a day. It would not power on after that. I figured that there was water trapped in there. Knowing enough about electronics to be dangerous to said electronics, I followed instructions for opening the phone. I found some more water so I disconnected the battery, used a napkin to soak up the little puddle of water that I saw, and then left the phone open for over 24 hours let it dry some more.

The phone powered on OK (super husband to the rescue...what a relief after opening that thing up...) but the battery icon was showing a question mark (I have read other posts indicating that the question mark indicates a faulty battery). I was able to get photos, etc., off of the phone's internal storage. About a day later and the phone does not fully boot anymore.

I've tried:
1. Plug in a Motorola charger. Goes to the red "M" logo but not past there.
2. Chose "BP Tools" from the text menu that gives choices such as "Recovery." Starts up but only gets to the "eye" and then powers off and goes back to the red "M"
2. Started in Recovery mode. Wiped the cache. No difference.
3. Started in Recovery mode. Full reset (yes, that clears everything, I realize). No difference.
4. Charged overnight. No difference.

When I un-plug the charging cable I get the large battery icon with the question mark.

My question is, even though I've performed the data wipe meaning that the phone is essentially like new in terms of any stored data (at least that is my understanding), could it be a case of a corrupted file and some kind of re-flash would help? Is there a way to copy something directly to the internal storage if that would help?

My gut feeling is that this thing is now "toast" but I want to be sure I've exhausted every option. Also, had I not been able to get it to start that one time, would there be any way to physically access the internal storage? From my understanding it is not an SD card but rather a chip.

One more thing, if it's of any significance. When I plug in the power cord the LED is flashes white for about half a second.

Thanks in advance for any help!

OP
H

HowD

Reaction score
UPDATE:

Saw a YouTube video regarding how to directly charge the battery. Phone works now.

NOTE: This was a Razr Maxx, NOT the Maxx HD! Sorry!

Last edited: