RAZR LCD Replacement?

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
I browsed this forum all morning (well from 6:30-now) and have read multiple times not to replace the LCD or digitizer by itself, but both at the same time since they are stuck together with an adhesive. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried replacing just the LCD or digitizer before on the RAZR. I've replaced digitizers before, but never on a phone as thin as the Droid RAZR (obviously). To me though, it sounds similar to the HTC Evo's setup. I replaced a few digitizers on those, which are glued straight to the LCD as well as the frame.

I just won a Droid RAZR with a cracked LCD on ebay for $83, and plan on flipping it. The digitizer is in perfect shape. The previous owner sat on it; not sure how he didn't crack the entire display assembly. I know well that the general opinion on this forum is to just replace the entire display assembly, but I am going to go into the great unknown and perform (or at least attempt) a replacement of just the LCD.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The easiest way is to get the screen and the digitizer already coupled. But good luck finding a replacement. The easiest way is to get ahold of moto and have them do it, its under 200$

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
The easiest way is to get the screen and the digitizer already coupled. But good luck finding a replacement. The easiest way is to get ahold of moto and have them do it, its under 200$

I've already found an OEM replacement LCD for $50 on ebay. My plan is to put it right back on ebay after the fix, so paying Motorola $175 or whatever the cost was plus the $83 I already put into it would be pointless. I figure if I screw it up, I screw it up. Cut my losses, and find a new hobby. :dry:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I see your point. :)

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
I see your point. :)

I have confidence I can do it. I just have to wait to buy the LCD screen, which will probably be after I sell the Droid Pro I'm fixing (still waiting on the digitizer for that). If I am successful, I'll post a how to somewhere in the forum.

Sparkimus

Reaction score
You cannot replace just the digitizer or the AMOLED display panel. They are fused from the factory and trying to separate them will destroy them both, so don't waste $50 on a part you won't be able to use. The best option is to have Motorola fix it for $177, since the average consumer can't get the digi/display combo for cheaper than ~$230.

I work in a repair shop and have done quite a few RAZR's, along with many other fused panel type phones. I've tried separating them just for fun, but they are way too fragile. In fact, the RAZR display panel is super thin. Like <1mm if memory serves. I've attached a picture of the panel separated from the digitizer. I was able to get it off, but it cracked quite a bit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
You cannot replace just the digitizer or the AMOLED display panel. They are fused from the factory and trying to separate them will destroy them both, so don't waste $50 on a part you won't be able to use. The best option is to have Motorola fix it for $177, since the average consumer can't get the digi/display combo for cheaper than ~$230.

I work in a repair shop and have done quite a few RAZR's, along with many other fused panel type phones. I've tried separating them just for fun, but they are way too fragile. In fact, the RAZR display panel is super thin. Like <1mm if memory serves. I've attached a picture of the panel separated from the digitizer. I was able to get it off, but it cracked quite a bit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The lcd or the digitizer broke? If the lcd cracks any more it's not a problem, so if your digitizer was ok then that's good news for me! I'm just doing it to do it really. Like I said already, if it breaks, it goes right back on ebay as "for parts or repair."

If all newer phones are going to be like this with $230 replacement parts, it's going to put a hurting on repairmen.

Sparkimus

Reaction score
On that particular one the display panel was broken. If you want to try it out just to try it out then go for it lol. You might have better luck than I did.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
On that particular one the display panel was broken. If you want to try it out just to try it out then go for it lol. You might have better luck than I did.

I sure hope I do. I can make a good amount of money off of the phone if it works out. I would keep it, but my heart is set on a white MAXX so I'll wait until I come across one at a decent price.

Sparkimus

Reaction score
I don't think they offer the Maxx in anything other than gray/black. I have the Maxx and it's more of a gunmetal color, where the regular RAZR is almost a metallic black. Looks better IMO. The Maxx is an awesome phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
The Maxx also comes in red/black for Verizon employees. If they would of offered them to us I might have got that instead of white, since I actually like red but I still think the white ones looked the best out of what was available to consumers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
If you're willing to pay a hefty price, there are a few of the employee edition RAZRs floating around on ebay. They usually go for $500+ though, and IMHO, it's not worth spending that much money on. I'm not sure if the people who buy them justify it as an investment, or they absolutely must be different than everyone else.

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
:partsin01: The RAZR came in today, as well new digitizer for my Droid Pro (much quicker than expected). Everything was perfect when I got the Pro re assembled and powered up, except the LCD screen was dim on the left side. I took the phone back apart and double checked everything, now it won't even light up. :cus::icon_ cry: The only thing I can think of that might be messing it up is that stupid little plastic clamp over the LCD ribbon cable connector that came off during disassembly. I know for a fact I did not crack the LCD, and the ribbon cable is not ripped. Anyone know what could be the problem? I want this phone fixed and gone!!!

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
UPDATE!!!

Successfully removed the LCD from the display panel, only to discover the digitizer was cracked as well (cracks on the digitizer are in the same pattern that the (original) cracks on the LCD were).

Honestly, it feels like I've turned into Bad Luck Brian this week. This project is down the drain, my Pro is messed up, and the dog took a dump in my truck and smashed it into my cloth seats. :sad: