Procedure for replacing surface glass on Razr phones

Lscman

Reaction score
I found a few youtube videos showing how to remove broken surface glass and old glue, but none of them explain how to glue the bare $12 Chinese replacement glass onto the old digitizer and LCD assembly. The replacement glass for certain models of razr come with no glue or tape. They expect the buyer to deal with that issue.....

Some glass comes with double sided tape affixed to it which is nice, but unfortunately not for the maxx hd. The XT926 screen glass kits I've found (price typically between $10 to $20) only come with bare replacement glass with no glue nor tape.

Can anyone here explain how to properly glue the replacement surface glass onto the old LCD and digitizer assembly? I saw a couple folks claim they used double sided tape a couple mm's wide around the frame perimeter and didn't glue the whole glass surface down to the LCD assembly, as Motorola did on the original. Does this work OK? Other folks mentioned using UV glue but what the heck is that and how do you apply it?

Please don't tell me about the $120 Motorola factory repair and their habit of selling the whole LCD assembly for $220. The factory repair options are well-documented. I prefer to repair my own phones if it can be done a lot cheaper.

PS: I realize the Chinese knock-off glass is not ideal and will not compare to gorilla, but it should not be OK with a screen protector on it from a safety and surface feel standpoint.

thanks for any insight on how to glue new glass on after the old glass and glue is removed

FastKatt

Reaction score
Not to derail your topic, but you all ready broke a Gorilla Glass Screen... Maybe cheaper isn't better?

You should be able to find a cell phone repair shop, that will glue the glass on, for you, for a slight fee. You're bringing in most of the parts, they just need the glue.

Sent from my Eclipsed RazrMaxx

OP
L

Lscman

Reaction score
Not to derail your topic, but you all ready broke a Gorilla Glass Screen... Maybe cheaper isn't better?

You should be able to find a cell phone repair shop, that will glue the glass on, for you, for a slight fee. You're bringing in most of the parts, they just need the glue.

Sent from my Eclipsed RazrMaxx

lol....no, I didn't break the gorilla glass. This is a used phone with busted glass bought off ebay as-is for $80. My plan is to fix it for $20. I don't want to pay $120 to $220 for better glass.

I am not familiar with slight labor fees, aside from a 10yo kid next door with a push mower and snow shovel.

Luckily, I found custom cut adhesive templates on ebay for the chinese top glass, selling for all Motorola models under $5. The trick was searching on adhesive, instead of glue or tape...only took me a day lol. The

thanks for sharing your thoughts though!