Razr Hotspot issue

Kendraso

Reaction score
ok so i have a buddy with a droid razr, currently running on ics. hes on the new share everything plan from verizon, so the hotspot is free, granted yes it doesnt have a seperate data plan like the old plans do. so heres the issue, after looking around on here and the net, i cant find an answer, we can get his laptop to connect fully to the internet without any hiccups through the hotspot as long as its on open security, but wpa. when set to wpa with a password, the laptop will connect fully, but with no internet accessability. hes running on windows vista, and ive tried several things, so reboots of the both the phone and laptop, changing the settings and channels in the hotspot. still nothing. so anyone with some insight would be much appreciated, and if you need any further info on the laptop or phone, let me know.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I think your problem right there is the fact they are running Windows Vista, that OS comes in a close second as the worst thing M$ has produced with Windows ME coming up in first IMO.

I did a search online and found a few other threads where people running Vista are having the same problem, and they are not even running it through an Android. They have some trouble shooting tips out there but I am not sure if any of it would apply here.

You might have to keep it unsecured for now and just keep managed access going so others won't connect, and of course don't browse to anything sensitive.

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
Using FoxFi on my Bionic To my Dell laptop with "Vista" does the same thing!!! As soon as i try and put it into secure mode, it kinda craps out on me? So I just always leave it unsecure! If someone else tries to connect, the phone will Chirp! Nice tip and insight on that Sydman! I couldn't figure why it was doin that :hail:

OP
K

Kendraso

Reaction score
well from what i hear windows 8 will give vista a run for its money on being the worst OS evar. but thankyou, ill just have to find a cracked version of 7 to put on his laptop, funny thing is hes a local deputy sheriff lol.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Even though I have the "hacked" version of the Hotspot, it does the same thing to me on my laptop which is running XP ... I have to set it to open with no password, because if I set it to WPA it won't connect. But where I am I don't have to worry about someone snaking my connection. :)

DinkSnow

Reaction score
I have the razr and prior to upgrading to ICS had no issues with FoxFi. Now no matter from a PC (Win 7) or tablet (Motorola Zoom) I can connect to hotspot but have no internet connection. FoxFi shows the device as connected. I have uninstalled and reinstallted the app with no luck.

I also upgraded to the share plan and tried to use the native hotspot on the phone with no luck. It goes through the startup and as soon as it starts within seconds automatically shuts itself down.

Going to call Verizon for help but wanted to see if posts for help first.

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
If you re-read the posting on FoxFi in the play store, after upgrading to ICS, it says you might need to "reboot and** (rename)**" the hotspot before turning on Foxfi! You can also shoot them an email explaining exactly what its doing if that don't work!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

GrmReaper

Reaction score
This last weekend I tried using FoxFi, and had similar problems. The difference is, I tried connecting to my iPad3, iTouch, and Xbox....all of them showed an established connection, but without internet. I haven't had a problem with it since initially going to ICS, but now its all jacked up. Is anyone else having problems other than with Vista?

gtofan350

Reaction score
I don't have this problem but my girlfriends pc is running vista and what I did was find windows 7 drivers for the wireless card in her laptop. Problem solved. I'm not saying it's guaranteed to work for you but give it a shot, also in running the hacked version of motos hotspot app.