Verizon Razr Hotspot problem solved.

truebluebpb

Reaction score
Problem: Could not connect my Win 7 HP laptop (8 mos. old) to the hotspot. (Working on problem since December.) Tried techs at Verizon, Motorola, HP, forums, paid techs online to no avail. In my own deductions, I figured the problem was with laptop since Hotspot connected with my Vista laptop, Kindle and iPod with no trouble. THE POSITIVE RESULT IS: I DOWNLOADED AND INSTALLED AN UPDATED DRIVER FOR MY LAPTOP Ralink RT5390 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter. Surprise!!! It works with no problem. Glad I didn't cancel my unlimited Hotspot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForum.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
good job congrats on fixing i am sure this will come in handy for others . like me :biggrin:my wife has been having problem connecting phone to laptop .. everything else works ok .. will try that .. thanks

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
That could be why some ppl have issues with hotspot and some don't. Might be an issue on the other end and not the phone.

I know I never had problems connecting to my blu ray player or a Co worker's kindle.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Problem: Could not connect my Win 7 HP laptop (8 mos. old) to the hotspot. (Working on problem since December.) Tried techs at Verizon, Motorola, HP, forums, paid techs online to no avail. In my own deductions, I figured the problem was with laptop since Hotspot connected with my Vista laptop, Kindle and iPod with no trouble. THE POSITIVE RESULT IS: I DOWNLOADED AND INSTALLED AN UPDATED DRIVER FOR MY LAPTOP Ralink RT5390 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter. Surprise!!! It works with no problem. Glad I didn't cancel my unlimited Hotspot.

An all too obvious problem many suffer with, and bang their heads on the wall while trying to troubleshoot. Great investigative and troubleshooting work. I'm just sorry it took you 3 months to resolve it. We need to keep this information prominent in the forum. This problem comes from poor programming by the manufacturers of the devices *(in your case the manufacturer of the WIFI chip - Ralink)*, but fortunately for you they provided a fix in their updated driver.

UPDATE YOUR WINDOWS OR MAC DRIVERS!! This can't be stressed strongly enough. Older drivers can wreak havvoc on your PC and as in the example above lead you to believe the OTHER device is the cause when all along it was the laptop.

Great post.

Gleason81

Reaction score

Not trying to burst your bubble but there's a free app called FoxFi that does the same as your paid VZW paid-for app. Be patient though, it takes 1-2 minutes to connect...this is where most just say..."hey, it doesn't work"...be patient...takes longer to connect....but 100% free...no strings attached....NO ROOT NEEDED!!!!!!

marlonvps

Reaction score
This happens to me all the time, I have asked Verizon about it, and keep getting the run around. The hotspot keeps working, the data connection seems to drop.

OP
truebluebpb

truebluebpb

Reaction score
Addendum: another reason I suspected my computer was the problem connecting to Verizon Hotspot is I downloaded PDAnet and the tethering worked fine but I couldn't connect to FoxFi. My Vista laptop, Kindle, and iPod Touch connected to FoxFi. My wifi adapter update in my Win7 laptop was the solution.

maryMAZ

Reaction score
tethering iPad or laptop with FoxFi

I have successfully downloaded Foxfi but neither my laptop nor my iPad are picking up the signal. Is there a setting I need to change on these devices? On my old phone (Droid Incredible), I successfully used PDA.net on my laptop, but my laptop does not recognize my new phone (Samsung Droid).

OP
truebluebpb

truebluebpb

Reaction score
I am no expert but....
I would be sure your computer recognizes your phone. Seems important first step.
For me, after I updated my laptop Wi-Fi adapter driver on my laptop, I didn't do anything special but immediately could connect to Verizon Hotspot and FoxFi with no trouble. Have full-bar connection to each of them.

OP
truebluebpb

truebluebpb

Reaction score
Back to ground zero. I thought my problem was solved connecting my laptop to Hotspot by updating the laptop wifi adaptor driver. It really did work and connect. But that same win7 HP laptop said a wifi adaptor update was available so I updated. Now I can't connect to my Hotspot but can with my Vista Dell laptop. Just like before. I'm not giving up. Perserverence is my word for today.

kxcombs

Reaction score
Help!!!

so ive been having the same issue but the update didnt help. I have a lenovo with the same wifi adapter on windows 7 but every time i try to connect to my razr's hotspot it tells me "unable to connect". i can connect with an xbox360, a mac and all other phones i come in to contact with. im actually tier 2 support for the big guy (cant say their name or ill get fired) and there is absolutely nothing in our information to fix this problem. i know it has to be on the adapter side but i cant get any f'n help from microsoft, they jus say its on the manufacturers side. u sound like a pretty knowledgeable person and i could use any tip or idea that u might have. some steps ive already taken on the pc side is unistall/reinstall, changed the ip and dns settings to manually connect, added the mac address to my razr to look specifically for it and nothing is helping. again if u have any suggestions lemme kno

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
so ive been having the same issue but the update didnt help. I have a lenovo with the same wifi adapter on windows 7 but every time i try to connect to my razr's hotspot it tells me "unable to connect". i can connect with an xbox360, a mac and all other phones i come in to contact with. im actually tier 2 support for the big guy (cant say their name or ill get fired) and there is absolutely nothing in our information to fix this problem. i know it has to be on the adapter side but i cant get any f'n help from microsoft, they jus say its on the manufacturers side. u sound like a pretty knowledgeable person and i could use any tip or idea that u might have. some steps ive already taken on the pc side is unistall/reinstall, changed the ip and dns settings to manually connect, added the mac address to my razr to look specifically for it and nothing is helping. again if u have any suggestions lemme kno

Could you tell me if you are using the build-in Verizon HotSpot client or another that you downloaded such as Foxfi?

OP
truebluebpb

truebluebpb

Reaction score
I am right now running my Win7 laptop from my Verizon moble hotspot. One thing I am is determined. You have read about my problems connecting Verizon Hotspot (and FoxFi) to my Win7 laptop. I've determined the problem is with Windows 7 and not Verizon Hotspot since I could connect my Dell Vista laptop, Kindle, and iPod Touch to both Verizon Hotspot and FoxFi. SO HERE'S MY MOST RECENT SOLUTION. Yesterday, Monday, I put my Dell Vista laptop (connected thru VZW Hotspot) directly next to my Win7 HP laptop to go thru comparisons. I went thru each group in Internet Options and compared. What I give you now is in Internet Options, what was different and what I changed it to: Connections: LAN Settings: unchecked automatically detect settings. Next under Advanced: checked with mark: accelerated graphics; go to intranet site for a single word; use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections; use SSL2.0. THEN unchecked use TLS 1.0. NEXT I compared the Wireless Network Connection Properties of the Wi-Fi cards in the two computers. I discovered that Client for Microsoft Networks was in the Vista Dell but missing on my Win7 laptop. I searched how to install this missing line in my Win7 properties. Go to the Wi-Fi card properties: click "Install"; click "Client"; click "Add". Today, my Win7 laptop is connecting to my Verizon mobile Hotspot. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will work tomorrow. I needed to let you all know that I logged these differences between Vista and Win7 and put into this note exactly what I changed. Worked for me. Hope the idea works for some of you. Just keep logs of what you changed in case you need to "undo".

OP
truebluebpb

truebluebpb

Reaction score
Just so you know, I was connected now I'm having trouble. I guess I shouldn't have uncrossed my fingers. I am determined.

OP
truebluebpb

truebluebpb

Reaction score
My problem is not solved. Disappointed.