Quit / Turn Off Music

TuffGong

Reaction score
I agree their needs to be a easier way to stop it from playing

on mine to stop it if it has timed out (which it dose sometimes) or if I had had another app open while it's playing, i have to

hit the power button on the top
slide the unlock
slide up the widget screen to display all the widgets
scroll down to the music player widget
hit the music player widget
hit the song that's playing to bring up music player
hit the pause button.

that's a lot of steps just to stop it from playing a song.

You could just slide up your Apps screen and tap Music.

daddyd302

Reaction score
There needs to be a stop button. I don't want to pause it, I want it to stop and close, not run in the background, and use my memory and battery. I shouldn't have to kill the app to turn it off completely.

JLB09

Reaction score
There needs to be a stop button. I don't want to pause it, I want it to stop and close, not run in the background, and use my memory and battery. I shouldn't have to kill the app to turn it off completely.

If this is what is still happening when I pause it, I agree.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

this isnt a blackberry you dont need to worry about apps running in the background.

when the song is paused its the same as if you had a stop button.

same as an IPOD there is no stop button all you have is play/pause then forward and rewind.

thaJack

Reaction score

Just like with your iPod, there is no stop button, and it doesn't need to have one. You don't need to worry about it running in the background and consuming memory and/or battery.

If memory gets low, the OS will take care of freeing some up for you.

Now that we've got that settled, I'm off to complain somewhere about my manual transmission car not having "park."

right

Reaction score
droid music app

Pausing the music and pulling out the head phones isn't what I'm looking to do. I want to turn the music app completely off because pausing it still depletes my battery. It's weird - I can't turn it off without completely powering off my phone. grrrr
I'm calling tech support . . .

right

Reaction score

Just like with your iPod, there is no stop button, and it doesn't need to have one. You don't need to worry about it running in the background and consuming memory and/or battery.

If memory gets low, the OS will take care of freeing some up for you.

Now that we've got that settled, I'm off to complain somewhere about my manual transmission car not having "park."
HA HA
Yes, but would you put your car in park and then walk away with it still running? lol Apparently that's what you have to do on the droid tho. Unless you want to install a task manager that allows you to end a specific task.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Pausing the music and pulling out the head phones isn't what I'm looking to do. I want to turn the music app completely off because pausing it still depletes my battery. It's weird - I can't turn it off without completely powering off my phone. grrrr

i highly doubt the music player is killing your battery..... i use it all the time and i just back out of it and it has no affect on my battery life.

goto settings > about phone > battery use to see what is really hurting your battery.

right

Reaction score

i highly doubt the music player is killing your battery..... i use it all the time and i just back out of it and it has no affect on my battery life.

goto settings > about phone > battery use to see what is really hurting your battery.
Thanks. I think I need to stop being so type A about it and stop focusing on the 'off' switch

jimnutt

Reaction score
One of the nicest things about android is that you can see what is actually impacting your battery life instead of just guessing and making assumptions. When the music player is paused it's doing nothing but waiting for an event to wake it back up. If Android runs out of memory, it picks the least recently used task, tells it to save its state and then flushes it from memory. A paused background task isn't using any CPU and it's certainly not wasting memory (unused memory is wasted memory, so Android tries to keep almost all the memory in use at any given time), it's just sitting there waiting to be called on again.

It's kind of like small kitchen appliances, I like to leave them on the countertop where I can use them quickly (in memory). They aren't turned on, so they aren't using power. If I need more counter space, I can take, say the toaster oven, and put it on the shelf under the counter. But then, when I need the toaster oven again, I have to take the time to pull it out and set it up. My wife prefers to have the countertop completely clear and only pull the appliances out when she needs them. But this takes her longer because she has to spend the time and effort to pull the appliance out when needed and put it away when she's done. So, if you can't stand the "clutter", by all means use a task killer and keep the countertop clear, but your phone is going to do more work getting the appliances out and putting them away when done.

thegipper

Reaction score
@jimnutt - That is a truly brilliant analogy!

Funny how we were all so trained before the droid to obsess over memory usage.