Quick questions...

OP
digipoo

digipoo

Reaction score
I hate using the built in one. I have to go into setting then applications then I have to wait for the list to populate and the such. As for the live wallpaper issue, I used them on the droid X and it had a significant impact on my battery life. When I was using it, my battery would last maybe 5 hours of heavy use. Without it I am up to 7 hours while doing all the same things as when I had the live wallpaper.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
1- The stock battery life on the device seems to vary from person to person but with the extended battery there isn't any problems?

I think battery use overall is an issue though the extended battery may help because of its magical extending properties.

2- To extend battery life I should:

*Change the radio to CDMA only through the settings menu or take out teh SIM card

I've tried this as well as removing the SIM card. Each time I ended the day with the same battery level. Though YMMV, I would keep an eye on the battery thread as I try to test each of the things folks tell us. You may discover that you don't have the battery problem anyway.

*Use Wi-Fi when I download if it is available and when not in use turn it off since Wi-Fi idle uses more juice than 3G idle.

I've heard reports that battery power use by WIFI is much better than earlier versions, will test it later this week.

*Not to use live wall papers

I would bet that this would save a little. They all seem pretty cheesy anyway.

*Use airplane mode when in an area with really bad or no reception

If you can afford to, though there is an app I've listed in the battery thread that may help. I think it was named shutup battery saver, but my memory is not like it use to be.

*Disable background data

I'm sure this will work but if you need it then why. There are settings that might help if you think background data is an issue.

*Use a task manager and/or a start-up manager

I agree with others here that the task manager's may not be worth the potential troubles. There is an app in the drawer already called tasks that you can use to kill the odd occasional task that doesn't play well. If you do find an app that you have to kill then you should avoid using that app again. As everyone says, the OS does a good job of cleaning out unneeded apps, though if it doesn't need the memory, it may not clean the junk out as much.

There are two apps that have been reported to be an issue. I haven't tested Google+ but there have been reports that it drinks heavily. I have tested Vtok. It misbehaves bad enough for me to call it malware. It will sit there and drink your battery all day if you don't kill it yourself.

3- For the extended battery, the battery door for the stock battery will work but will cause a "bump" in the door. This is the only wave to use the extended battery with the shell and holster being sold by Verizon.

I don't tend to use Verizon's holsters or shells. The size difference in size is enough to apparently cause a very slight bulge when using the original back. That may not be good for the battery, and indeed stuffing it into a case that is similarly restrictive may not be good. I found a pouch that I had originally used with my d1 was loose enough to work, and I found a Case Logic case at Wallmart that fits. Neither are all that satisfiable, but they work with an extended battery and extended battery back.

I think there is likely some app that is causing the battery problem, or some setting in the radio. But guessing is driving me up a wall so I'm testing each setting people suggest to see what is most effective. One thing you need to know right away is to not expect full battery strength for the first five days. Although I've seen at least one report to the contrary, my experience points to the system needing to build a battery profile and that may take several days and at least one full charge from a full discharge--something you shouldn't allow to happen all that often.

I would run it stock for the first week in order to prove that any problems you have are not related to apps you load. Then I would load apps slowly so you can identify offenders. If you're new to Android, read the reviews in the market and avoid the low rated apps--at least until you are ready to accept some potential problems.

OP
digipoo

digipoo

Reaction score
I have had the Droid X since it was launched on July 16th (?) last year and have never had battery troubles until GB hit. Hence my skepticism and worry about the battery life. Before GB I could easily go 36 hours of light usage on the stock battery. Now I'm lucky to get 19 hours on light usage.