Quick question about Roms, Themes, and extras...

Turbo_lag

Reaction score
So I get that a ROM is like a new OS. You set your Droid to Mass storage, drop the zip file into the main folder, and then you can boot to recovery (after a backup obviously) and install the rom.

My question is, I always see a bunch of other things I can download for the ROM. Theme's, Fon'ts for the themes, etc.

How do I install them? Same process? Can I do it all in 1 swing? I have read ALOT of information before posting, and it's never REALLY clear to me what I should do after I install the Rom. Should I be putting the theme.zip file somewher, and the rom.zip file somewhere else? Can I put them together?

Advise is much appreciated,
Bryan

OP
T

Turbo_lag

Reaction score
After typing that out, I figured I would just 'eff around with it. I thing I figured it out. I want to use RomManager to wipe the cache and data, boot to the clockworkmod recovery, install the ROM.zip, then install the other .zips right after that, then reboot the phone. That should apply both the ROM, Theme, and anything else I wanted to install.

Maybe I will install the ROM.zip, then reboot, then boot back to Recovery, then install the theme, seperate. So I can make sure that the Rom installed correctly...

IDK, I'm so confused. :-/

OP
T

Turbo_lag

Reaction score
Not many people hacking in the AM... :)

I'm sittin here with a theme, and a rom, and I wanna go nuts. LoL.

alonsou

Reaction score
Install the ROM, reboot, and test your phone for functionality, always do this so that you can make sure your ROM is working fine, after that you can pick your THEME and install it, same way you did with the ROM.

Some THEMES require to be install as a update.zip file, others can be install from sd card, that means that whatever you install as a update.zip must be renamed as "update.zip" for it to work properly and if its the other way you can leave it with the original file name, make sense?

OP
T

Turbo_lag

Reaction score
Install the ROM, reboot, and test your phone for functionality, always do this so that you can make sure your ROM is working fine, after that you can pick your THEME and install it, same way you did with the ROM.

Some THEMES require to be install as a update.zip file, others can be install from sd card, that means that whatever you install as a update.zip must be renamed as "update.zip" for it to work properly and if its the other way you can leave it with the original file name, make sense?

Perfect. Thanks a mil for the help. I appreciate it!!

+ 1 rep.

How do you tell which theme's need to be installed as Update.zip?

OP
T

Turbo_lag

Reaction score
Ok, I installed my theme, not much changed really, except for the lock screen. How do I add widgets, like the clock I see on EVERYONES phone, and other stuff like that? Do I have to download widgets from the Market?

I think I have determined that my widgets are controled by what home screen launcher I use. I currently use LP (Look at me using all the Droid Hack terms, LoL) but to get better apps should I switch to ADW, or Helix? (I think that's what there called)

OP
T

Turbo_lag

Reaction score
This thread is like my blog. Feel free to comment, and help where I may need it, but it's really just a thought process for me.

So the new apex ROM with Revo theme was crashing once every 5 minutes. I removed launcher pro, and the issue has since been resolved. No crashes in over 20 minutes. Still waiting to see everyones take on widgets.

OP
T

Turbo_lag

Reaction score
****. I just froze up again. Damnit. Why can nothing work perfectly, the way I want it to.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
like alonsou, i always recommend installing rom, theme, add-ons separately, with separate reboots and boots into recovery. it has always worked for me, and just seems to ensure a cleaner install. here is the process i use (keep in mind i have a D1, but the principles are the same):

1. backup your apps with TiBu (or thru Astro)
2. create a backup/nandroid of your current rom (so you have something to fall back on if you experience any serious problems flashing a new rom)
3. boot into recovery
4. wipe data/factory reset
5. wipe cache
6. install rom zip from sdcard
7. reboot
8. IMPORTANT - let market completely download all your apps, and let it complete the process before flashing any themes, kernels, whatever
9. boot into recovery
10. flash theme (if you desire something other than stock)
11. reboot
12. boot into recovery
13. flash kernel/fonts/add-ons/etc
14. reboot
15. enjoy!

the widgets you see are generally not dependent on the launcher (altho some launchers, like LP, have their own widgets). rather, they are just apps you dl from the mkt. for example, the clock you are likely seeing in many screenies is from the Beautiful Widgets app (it's a paid app in the mkt). switching launchers isn't going to give you better apps. the different launchers just have different looks to them, and have some slightly different function options.
lastly, i'm going to move your thread over to the DX Hacks section - you'll probably get a little more relevant traffic and responses to your particular inquiries. :)

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
****. I just froze up again. Damnit. Why can nothing work perfectly, the way I want it to.

You have to do a little research on what themes work with what ROM's or you will have some issues. I wanted very little to change with my ROM so I picked rubiX .03 Blurry. And it goes with 928Droid's Black Glass Theme almost flawlessly. I like his theme cause he themes Facebook And Twitter. And he makes patches for Swype and ADW Launcher. So almost everything is themed. But his does not work with all ROM's. Some make ROM's with Themes that shortly follow after a release.

Themes and patches USUALLY install the same way as everything else. Some may ask to wipe data/cache, others might not. And most everything comes with their own instruction.

Do as the above posts suggest, do a little research and all should go well.

And nothing ever works perfect, lol:)

Inkarnit

Reaction score

You have to do a little research on what themes work with what ROM's or you will have some issues. I wanted very little to change with my ROM so I picked rubiX .03 Blurry. And it goes with 928Droid's Black Glass Theme almost flawlessly. I like his theme cause he themes Facebook And Twitter. And he makes patches for Swype and ADW Launcher. So almost everything is themed. But his does not work with all ROM's. Some make ROM's with Themes that shortly follow after a release.

Themes and patches USUALLY install the same way as everything else. Some may ask to wipe data/cache, others might not. And most everything comes with their own instruction.

I disagree. RubiX Focused 1.6 followed by Black Juice for rubiX 1.6 worked perfectly. And to the OP, I'd suggest looking into that combination for a super slick phone :) You will lose all the blur nonsense, but most of what blur does can be done better with other things. As for the clock thing, it is probably Beautiful Widgets. Definitely worth spending the money on.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score

I disagree. RubiX Focused 1.6 followed by Black Juice for rubiX 1.6 worked perfectly. And to the OP, I'd suggest looking into that combination for a super slick phone :) You will lose all the blur nonsense, but most of what blur does can be done better with other things. As for the clock thing, it is probably Beautiful Widgets. Definitely worth spending the money on.

Actually you misunderstood. I was giving an example, not suggesting that's what he should do. That's why I said "do some research." I've seen your setup and it looks kick-@$$:) But he still has to research which Themes work with which ROM's.

So now he know's 2 combinations that work. See? Forums are a BEA-utiful thing;)

OP
T

Turbo_lag

Reaction score
Excellent info everyone, thanks a ton!!

I actually flashed Rubix v1.6 blurless with some theme...(I cant remember off the top of my head) and its running great now, no crashes, no issues what so ever. I got the Wonderful Widget app, as well as a few themes for ADW.Launcher, and now I think I found a combo I like alot.

I will continue to experiment tho. That Black juice theme sounded good.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Excellent info everyone, thanks a ton!!

I actually flashed Rubix v1.6 blurless with some theme...(I cant remember off the top of my head) and its running great now, no crashes, no issues what so ever. I got the Wonderful Widget app, as well as a few themes for ADW.Launcher, and now I think I found a combo I like alot.

I will continue to experiment tho. That Black juice theme sounded good.

Yea I think you would like the Black Juice Theme more than themes from ADW Launcher app. Those themes usually just change a few icons and your dock buttons. Themes for ROM's are more complete and add more to the look.

c]=[k(V)8's Droid X Tapatalk