How to install Maps 4.5.1 from 928Droid?

hoops8

Reaction score
I am currently running 928Droid's BGX theme. To make sure I get this right, I put the Maps 4.5.1.zip file that 928Droid just released onto the root of the sd card and use Rom Manager and the 'Install rom from sd card' option and choose the Maps 4.5.1.zip file (Do I have to use bootstrap at all or was that just for installing a theme?) This will install the Maps 4.5.1 that 928Droid released?

Also, is this the method to install anything that 928Droid releases?

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
You can use the "Install Rom from Sd Card" option in ROM Manager ( do NOT check any options when doing prompted) , OR reboot into Bootstrap Recovery and do it manually.

They both do the same thing, ROM Manager just boots into Bootstrap and installs the file automatically.

This is the same for any properly formatted "update.zip" style Theme, ROM, update, Patch, Hotfix, etc, etc.

HOWEVER, I highly recommend doing ti manually, at least until you become more knowledgable. By Booting into Bootstrap Recovery you will not only learn how to use the recovery, BUT you can also watch for errors (and inform the Dev if there are any) in the update.zip files. Using Rom manager it happens so fast you will never see them and a failed zip install can cause a lot of confusion or even worse.

For example, if you run some Roms out there that format your system area and then the rest of the install fails...using Rom Manager it will typically reboot automatically and guess what...you have no system area...Bad Mojo!! If you did the same thing manually, you could see an error, then you can restore your last good backup and reboot manually and still have a working phone :) FYI, NONE of my Themes or any update.zip I make will format your system area.

Also, anytime you have a problem and need to use recovery you will already know your way around it and not be in a "double" panic from the phone problem compounded by having no clue of how to use recovery to fix it.

FYI, my standard for using Rom Manager instead of manually using Recovery ...is when you can navigate to where you want to be in Recovery..with you eyes closed(seriously)...then and only then start the habit of using Rom Manager..AND even then, only on update zips you know are safe. I would never use it on a new update zip I haven't used before.

OP
H

hoops8

Reaction score
928 Droid, thanks for that great reply. One other question, I checked and already have an update.zip file on the root of my sd card (not sure where it can from, maybe from installing the BGX theme.) Is it ok to overwrite this file or should i put the Maps 4.5.1.zip file somewhere else on the sd card and install it from there?

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
928 Droid, thanks for that great reply. One other question, I checked and already have an update.zip file on the root of my sd card (not sure where it can from, maybe from installing the BGX theme.) Is it ok to overwrite this file or should i put the Maps 4.5.1.zip file somewhere else on the sd card and install it from there?

In the future don't rename them, it is not necessary. Then you will remember what they are. I personally have a folder named "UpdateZips" on my SD card and after I install something (I want to keep and/or use again) I move it there for future use.

Also they don't have to be in the root folder of the Sd card to install them, using either Recovery or Rom Manager option you can navigate to folders and select the zip you want to install. BUT, it is less likely to chose the wrong one if you only have the you want to install on the root of the sd card.

If you are unsure of what the update.zip is, either delete it or rename it to "unknown-update.zip" and move it to a folder like I mentioned above.

OP
H

hoops8

Reaction score
Thanks for some great suggestions. I toke your advice and created a directory on my sd card called UpdateZips and I am going to put any and all old update.zip files in there. What is crazy is I have no idea what the update.zip file is that is currently on the root of my sd card now. Could it be there from installing your BGX theme? If not, is there any way I can find out what it is? Also, can I move it to the 'UpdateZips' directory without it affecting the phone (ie causing a bootloop or something worse)? Thanks.

BTW, how do you boot into Bootstrap Recovery so I can do it manually?