question about droid x hardware

Shelooga

Reaction score
i guess its more of a question about lack of hardware..

i came from a droid. on good days i got away with clocking it to 1.2g. i understand it has a separate graphics processor or GPU. i have no idea what that is or the benefits of having one. as an example i ran the psx emaulator (gran turismo) on my droid and the video was choppy at best. now im using my droid x and the video is seamless.

im wondering how a GPU functions and why or why isnt there a benefit to having one? on the base level i was running a higher clocked processor with aGPU and things were slower than my non GPU droid x. as i typed that i also had an idea; since i used custom kernels on my droid (and dont have that option on my x :( ....) perhaps the lower voltage slowed down the graphics on my droid?

i dunno im just poking around online about anything to do with overclocking hte x and this question arose.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
gpu processes 2d and 3d acceleration. it's same as on standard pc, the one with dedicated graphics card will outperform same pc with integrated graphics. also when you're comparing droid vs droid x don't forget that x has twice as much ram as original droid.

cpjr

Reaction score
Having a GPU is having a processor (CPU) dedicated only to graphics.

Numbskill

Reaction score
Is there a "lagfix" type app for this GPU? I was reading some interesting threads regarding the galaxy s and its 3,000,000 triangle per second capabilities. The droid gpu is somewhere in 60,000 range... boo

The only lagfix I find is for those samsungs

stanrc

Reaction score
Thats because the Samsung Galaxy S line has one of the top mobile GPUs right now. The lag fix is a fix for the file system used for data, nothing to do with the cpu or gpu. And it mostly just pads the quadrant results.

Numbskill

Reaction score
That makes a lot of sense considering the pissing contest over quadrant results that was taking place in that thread.

I've been dying to know if anything has been done, maybe on the D1, with custom kernals that can "overclock" a gpu?

accellpo

Reaction score
That makes a lot of sense considering the pissing contest over quadrant results that was taking place in that thread.

The benchmark tests are so overrated right now. The Galaxy S series probably has the best GPU on a smartphone period. Better than the DX and the IP4. With that being said, where does it actually come into play in everyday use? To date, there aren't any games where you'd even see a difference in gaming between the DX and the Galaxy S. Check out a video of the same game running on the D2 and the Vibrant.

[video=youtube;ptYJAdNvA88]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptYJAdNvA88&feature=player_embedded[/video]

OP
Shelooga

Shelooga

Reaction score
thanks guys, picked up some info and found out i was wrong about not having a gpu.

i found using linpack and quadrant was pointless. yea, its great you can squeeze 1520 out that one time when everyone else gets 1500, but really, being fast is being fast and i'll use my phone they way i normally would all the time and will post my personal speed scores.

on a side note, i cant wait to see what ssx has in it once chevy releases it