Get Droid X now, or wait for Galaxy S?

Jon Vito

Reaction score
just watch this...youtube comparison of both phones

[video=youtube;WYVk9rmNQgQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYVk9rmNQgQ"]YouTube - Samsung Galaxy S Vs Motorola Droid X Part 1[/video]

[video=youtube;nIQJ-3a96oM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIQJ-3a96oM&feature=related[/video]

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think the Samsung phones TV Out is better than the X HDMI out for the fact that u can have a mirror image of the phone on the TV.

These new Samsungs phones have an accessing memory issue that causes lag, slowness. U can see it in the clip above. And thats why the X posts higher Quadrant scores. (The slow Google Maps and Youtube loading may have been fixed by Samsung already. Anyone wanting the Samsung phones need to keep up to date with that.)

If reception is better than with previous Samsung phones I owned, and the memory issue is fixed, they may have some real winners here. Of course everyone doesnt live or work in a bad reception area to even notice of your phone has a weak antenna.

I dont wanna get into the whole Amoled vs. LCD debate, but look at the street sign on both phones. Amoled is nice for "vibrant" colors but it does have its cons...

(I qouted vibrant for a reason...lol)

These 4" Samsung phones would be the sweet spot for size IMO.

Interpol

Reaction score
I have a Droid X. Over the weekend I bought the Samsung Captivate (AT&T's version of the Galaxy S) for my wife.

I have to say, it's a really nice phone, but I wouldn't trade in my Droid X for it. It's quite stylish and very thin, but there are some design/UI tradeoffs that I don't like. My wife is nowhere close to being a power user or an Android enthusiast, so she's OK with the following:

- No LED flash.
- Samsung's TouchWiz 3.0 UI isn't great. As others have mentioned, it causes occasional lag and slowdowns on this phone despite it having a 1GHz Hummingbird CPU.
- AT&T has locked out sideloading apps on all of their Android phones. I'm guessing they did this to protect the user from installing potentially malicious software, but IMO they should at least give the end user the choice to disable sideloading or not.

Aside from that, the Super AMOLED screen is the one thing on the phone I'm truly jealous of. It's simply a great, beautiful display. Blacks are jet-black and looking at the display in a darkened room is a wonder to behold.

The other benefit the Samsung has is that it's got a whopping 16GB of onboard memory and comes with an empty SDHC card slot, so it's expandable to a total of 48GB of memory. That's phenomenal.

Overall, I would be totally satisfied with a Captivate if I had to stay with AT&T.

dweezle

Reaction score

soba1

Reaction score
The verizon version will have flash. I think you have to wait until September to get it, since August is reserved for droid 2. By then gingerbread device might only be less than 2 months away. You can wait to see whether droid x receive froyo by mid August to decide.

Yeah but just think of a September release date.
Soon to follow Black Friday, with the rumored 2ghz
Motorola phone LTE compatible. Also the rumored
Samsung Galaxy S2 waiting in the wings. Thats
why I just went for it with the X. Also after looking
at the videos the screen is bigger on the X, and
the display quality is none too shabby.
Now here is where the prefrence comes in.
If your thing is gaming then go with the Fascinate
has the edge. When it comes to overall processing
the X will stomp the Fascinate.
But let me say this when everyone goes to 2.2 it
may even things out a bit.
Ok I'm done

mslinda70

Reaction score
Panoramic, DLNA, HDMI out (im not 100% on this one) gives X the advantage. I love my X and its size is just BEASTLY I love it. I wouldnt trade it for any other phone at the moment and I have some pet peeves about it with its damn volume and youtube not syncing issue

Yes the volume issue is killing me, this beast of a phone and i can hardly hear it sometimes. My daughter has the original droid and it blows it out of the water

Flatland2D

Reaction score
hey well i have a qustion i have always liked keyboard phones well i think i mite get a dorid x but are touch screen keyboards hard because you usally press a button and it doesnt press the right one so

I thought the same thing until I tried out Swype on a Droid at the Verizon store. Now it's the only text entry method I use. It's even easy to do one handed. Watch some Youtube videos about it or just go check it out for yourself at the store.

OP
J

JustSumDude

Reaction score
Went with the X

Hey All,

Thread starter here - I decided against the Galaxy S, and instead went with the X dancedroid. The dude at the Verizon store told me it'd ship on Aug 18th. Thanks for all of your comments.

The biggest factor in this decision was ya'll; the community. :) I know the droid 1 was a great phone for enthusiasts and it looks like the droid X will be the same way. I'm looking forward to lurking the boards, getting tips, and tweaking the sh:icon_ nono:t out of this thang! Can't wait to see Froyo on it!

Cheers,
-Justin