Qualcomm 1.5 GHz Dualcore Processor Plows Everything Else Away

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Is it faster than an Intel Core i7?
Would be nice to see where it stands relative to an i7.

I face-palmed. You can't compare mobile processors to PC processors, which is why they're not interchangeable. It's like comparing a sled dogs to a team of Clydesdale's or something.

Enik

Reaction score
Would be nice to see where it stands relative to an i7

Seeing as there will never be a core i7 phone why even ask that :p

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Natey2

Reaction score
it is not faster than i7 but y do u want to compare a pc processor with a mobile one

Title said it plowed everything else away.

And if mobile phone processors are getting faster, one might be able to do more number crunching on them.
I'm more familiar with PC (Intel vs. AMD) type benchmarks, and want to know how these new dualcore phone processors compare, speed-wise, to the range of PC processors I've used, like Pentium, Core2 Duo, Quad Core, etc.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Not at all, you can't. The i7 is a thousand dollar chip just all by it's self, think about it. 3.46ghz quad core (even without turbo bost) drawing 130+w at 32nm architecture...I'd throw a number of those mobile chips you'd have to melt to reach that kind of performance to maybe, 20, or 50...a hundred? Yea...probably. lol.

bplewis24

Reaction score
Some of you are misinterpreting this information.

1) These are benchmarks of the GPU. I've got some questions into Anandtech writers about how CPU-bound the tests are, but the fact is that the benchmark is more about the GPU than the CPU. The real comparison here is the Adreno 220 vs other GPUs. It's possible the 1.5GHz clocked CPU overstates the Adreno 220's performance, but it's unclear as to how much right now.

2) The reason the iPhone4 fares worse than the iPhone3GS and the Droid is because it's resolution is higher than those phones and thus has to render more pixels per frame. The same thing happens when people compare the iPad GPU benchmarks to the Xoom, which has a higher resolution.

3) There is absolutely no fanboyism at Anandtech.com. They are about as objective as any tech reviewers can be. Many of the reviewers (Anand himself) actually own more Apple hardware than anything else. Anand's primary phone is an iPhone and his primary computer is a MacBook Pro.

4) The OS was Gingerbread 2.3.2 running on a development phone. It's not production hardware and it has no additional skins or processes which would slow the phone down. In fact, it didn't even have wireless or cellular connectivity.

If you guys read the original anandtech article you'll see that they are specifically focusing on GPU performance, and that CPU related analysis is coming later on.

Brandon

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^+1 on everything. Especially Anandtech and fanboyism. Anandtech goes into details other tech sites only dream about. I based my last 2 PC purchases on their reviews of cpu's.

Thanks to them I didnt feel the need to jump on the quad core bandwagon until this year. Been rocking a dual core machine since 2008 thanks to Anandtech. My first one too...lol.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I should say some other tech sites. There is a few more that goes into details kinda like Anandtech.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some of you definitely didn't spend time reading the article, or first set of comments on that article. Explained most of the questions and corrected most of the statements in this thread :p

Wonder how long it will take Verizon to get a variant of the EVO 3D or Pyramid and their 1.2GHz clocked version of this processor. I would snap ;) one up in a heartbeat.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Some of you definitely didn't spend time reading the article, or first set of comments on that article. Explained most of the questions and corrected most of the statements in this thread :p

Wonder how long it will take Verizon to get a variant of the EVO 3D or Pyramid and their 1.2GHz clocked version of this processor. I would snap ;) one up in a heartbeat.

Probably next year after all the other carriers have had it for a year or so :)

Sent from my Droid

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Probably next year after all the other carriers have had it for a year or so :)

Sent from my Droid

It does seem like that is how long it takes Verizon to get anything HTC related :p

Natey2

Reaction score
Would be nice to see where it stands relative to an i7.

I face-palmed. You can't compare mobile processors to PC processors, which is why they're not interchangeable. It's like comparing a sled dogs to a team of Clydesdale's or something.

"The Nexus One [Snapdragon] OC to 1.11GHz can be compared to a Pentium III at 1GHz."

- http://drolez.com/software/android/

Natey2

Reaction score
Is this dualcore Snapdragon faster than an Intel Atom (used in many low-end Netbooks)?