The Snapdragon from Qualcomm Will Have New Dual-Core Progeny on the Near Horizon

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

Ratings:
    +403
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2

I stand corrected.

2. Levenly

Levenly New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    most games on consoles don't render at 1080p... they're upscaled and fps is capped usually at 30, which is why games like GTA4 would otherwise run too poorly due to the constant framerate jumping.

but yes, i don't think that the phones will be able to render games at the exact quality of ps3 and xbox 360. perhaps player textures, but not world textures / shaders. not to mention DOV should be severely limited not only because the screen is too small, but the phones don't have much memory or processing power to keep up to even ps3/xbox 360. forget about AA and AF techniques as that would cripple the phone.

3. thesandman00

thesandman00 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, considering the Cell in the PS3 is verging on near supercomputer processing prowess, this is hard to believe to say the least. I guess it's just marketing mumbo jumbo like usual.

4. jroc

jroc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Of course it marketing mumbo jumbo. Like when the Incredible came out everyone wanted a phone that had a 1Ghz Snapdragon....Snapdragon, Snapdragon, Snapdragon....buzz word.

Everyone wanted a 1Ghz Snapdragon, yet the gpu in the 550 Mhz OMAP in the Droid 1 was better.

5. Grimster

Grimster Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    lolz, I would recommend getting an education in smart phones before posting again. The 550mhz TI OMAP cpu in the Droid 1 does NOT contain any kind of GPU. It has a seperate chip PowerVR SGX 535 gpu along side of it on the circuit board. It does NOT run at 550mhz like the CPU nor does the snapdragon run its Anderno 205 GPU at 1ghz. You cant just "make things up" and pretend they are real. I would like to thank you though for displaying this trait so now we know to dismiss anything you post from now on.

6. Grimster

Grimster Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Also, everyone was excited about the snapdragon not for its GPU but for its 1ghz CPU which blew away everything out there. Nobody cared about playing stupid 3D video games on a phone. The CPU performance at the time was holding back all smart phones and the snapdragon was a revolution.

7. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually it is a PowerVR SGX 530 which IS a GPU just like the Adreno. Oooh and for those trivia buffs out there "Adreno" is "Radeon" which is the mobile ATI GPU for SoC's.

8. jroc

jroc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +63
    I would like to thank you Darkseider for correcting this guy for me. Thank you......

First off Grimster, who said it ran at 550Mhz? I said the gpu in the Droid 1 was better than the gpu in the Incredible. I mentioned nothing about speeds.

Talking about someone needing education in smartphones before posting....LOL!!! How about you get an education in cpu's, gpu's before posting....

9. add119

add119 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +32
    Current Phone Model:
    To many look at my signature.
    That why I don't trust HtC their gpu isn't better then droid line phones. Kinda of sad that droid 1 with overclock and Gingerbread rom feel like 1gb phone. Hopefully, Motorola will make another droid 3 have google experience phone for next device. I don't like motoblur beside power vr chip getting boast from 530 to 535 on droid 2/x it doesn't feel much of an upgrade to get a droid 2.

Fyi 4g still isn't faster than Wifi

10. kptphalkon

kptphalkon Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Depends on your home internet speed.

In good coverage and low traffic my 3G can almost match my home dsl speeds (250 KB/s on 3G versus 275 KB/s on home wifi). Granted, the times i get those speeds are few and far between, but my point is that 4Gs MINIMUM speeds still beats 3Gs MAXIMUM.

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

11. Its TwiX

Its TwiX Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Qualcomm will create a small Cooling Unit Using Liquid Nitrogen, "CUULN" (Get it?) to cooldown the 3.2 GHz processor. And then sell the phone for $400 on contract for having a cool science experiment in the phone.

Now on-topic.. I think it's pretty cool that it would have the same processing power as a gaming console however I highly doubt it. It's probably one of things that it can do something the PS3 can do (graphic-wise) so it can be deemed as similar. Same things is going on with the Attrix's laptop dock. They can say it can do "more than a netbook" because it can do things the netbook can't.

Search tags for this page

landfill android qualcomm

what type of proesser does the htc thunderbolt have