Qualcomm details next-gen 2.5GHz Snapdragon processors

densetsu86

Reaction score
Completely off topic, but does anyone actually believe the crap the companies say? Processors announcement just a couple months before they drop to manufacturers? Yet Intel and AMD take 2 years almost. Not to mention, it's taken over 18months to get dual core chips in handsets and they're not even being predominantly used yet. The X2 dropped in May and it had a chipset manufactured in Q1 2010. No way will we see this in a released (not announced) phone prior to Q1 2013.

This feels like the mobile phone version of the mhz myth.

Well if you take a look at the pick their are 4classes they got set up. Class 4 is where its actually at 2.5ghz and dual/quad. I'd say this articual is a little misleading. Class 1-2 will mostly be the first to come out by 2012 and the latter half will be closer to 2013 or in 2013. Cause if you read class 4 it says nextgen handsets. So gonna be a while before we actually see the 2.5ghz.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

combatmedic870

Reaction score
^Maybe! I dont know tho, with the cpu heat and battery issues maybe not. What's funny is that the current android os barley even needs dual core. The second core does limited mop up at best these days! So unless ICS is a real system hog, a 1 ghz dual core phone should actually run it just fine.

I agree. i think the droid bionic/htc vigor/droid prime will do me just fine! heck im really temped by the bionic, but im in no hurry! ill see what else comes out this year.

I dont think were are going to be seeing a quad core 2.5ghz in a phone. I for see that in a tablet. There is no reason to have it in a phone. i dont even see a 2.5 single core in a phone. i see all of the above going in tablets! well besides the gpu's. them will make in into phones.

sb1831

Reaction score
Well if you take a look at the pick their are 4classes they got set up. Class 4 is where its actually at 2.5ghz and dual/quad. I'd say this articual is a little misleading. Class 1-2 will mostly be the first to come out by 2012 and the latter half will be closer to 2013 or in 2013. Cause if you read class 4 it says nextgen handsets. So gonna be a while before we actually see the 2.5ghz.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

I didn't actually click the link because I'm lazy at times, but I was just going by the OP wrote. Upon further review, and reading the article at pocket-lint, the end of year figure quote is apparently from Paul Jacobs Qualcom CEO. If that's true and not a misquote, then I'm calling BS on this. Chipset don't miracle themselves into consumer ready handsets in 4 months. The timing is all sorts of wrong to think that a manufacturer could put a new chipset in a phone and have something ready for mass production in less than 6 months. I would hope and pray that a manufacturer wouldn't do such a thing to prevent another Xoom/LTE debacle.

Regardless I still think that the whole 2.5GHz in a phone, is just the mobile phone MHz Myth. People are already caught up in the crap with the difference between the Bionic and the SGII 1v1.2GHz processing speed without ANY empirical evidence to say how the phone would run on a CDMA network let alone LTE.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
By the time they are done beefing up these processors they are going to be bigger then my DX and I mean the processor alone.

Smart phones went from big to small and are now getting bigger. If need be I will just start wearing MC Hammer pants, you could fit a whole laptop in those bad boys :)

kparks

Reaction score
And the Prime is already obsolete.

Why do people keep saying this lol everyphone you ever get is obsolete its just a matter of planning what's good enough for you and thinking about what will be out when u can upgrade waiting months for a phone is stupid cuz right when it comes out the will be something right around the corner that will blow it away...

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums