Putting video on the Droid

Thefamous1

Reaction score
If I have a .mp4 movie do I add it to my Droid like music? Do I just drop the movie in the 'Removable Disk' area of my Droid when I connect it to my PC?

And when I put a video on the Droid how do I access it? I don't see a app for videos on the phone, just music.

kbrede

Reaction score
I made a directory structure on my sdcard as follows:

media/movies/

and place all my mp4s there. I don't remember exactly off the top of my head, but I think whatever you put under the "media" directory is auto located by programs on the system. There are several posts about this if you want to look into it further.

To access the files you can go through a file manager such as "Astro," or go through "media." Act 1 Video Player is the best movie player I've seen so far.
hth,
Kent

D

dvdcatalyst

If I have a .mp4 movie do I add it to my Droid like music? Do I just drop the movie in the 'Removable Disk' area of my Droid when I connect it to my PC?

And when I put a video on the Droid how do I access it? I don't see a app for videos on the phone, just music.

Transfer is pretty much the same as for music. The "Media Gallery" app on your Droid should show the file, however, it just shows an icon, not the name, so it gets a little confusing if you have more than one video on it. There are a few apps for video that do show the name. Act 1 seems to be popular, as well as the free "Video Player"

Keep in mind that not all MP4 files will play properly on the Droid. There are a couple of topics on these forums on this.

OP
T

Thefamous1

Reaction score

media/movies/

and place all my mp4s there. I don't remember exactly off the top of my head, but I think whatever you put under the "media" directory is auto located by programs on the system. There are several posts about this if you want to look into it further.

To access the files you can go through a file manager such as "Astro," or go through "media." Act 1 Video Player is the best movie player I've seen so far.
hth,
Kent

ah, thank you.

So If I make a media/music directory for example, and put all my music in there, when I open up the music app it will still recognize my music even if it's in media>music?

Right now I'm just dropping my mp3's straight onto my SD card.

kbrede

Reaction score

media/movies/

hth,
Kent

ah, thank you.

So If I make a media/music directory for example, and put all my music in there, when I open up the music app it will still recognize my music even if it's in media>music?

Right now I'm just dropping my mp3's straight onto my SD card.

Yep, it should work that way, makes it a little easier to organize your sdcard. :)
Kent

OP
T

Thefamous1

Reaction score

Transfer is pretty much the same as for music. The "Media Gallery" app on your Droid should show the file, however, it just shows an icon, not the name, so it gets a little confusing if you have more than one video on it. There are a few apps for video that do show the name. Act 1 seems to be popular, as well as the free "Video Player"

Keep in mind that not all MP4 files will play properly on the Droid. There are a couple of topics on these forums on this.

Where is the Media Gallery app? Is it on the Droid by default or do I need to download it?

The only media app I have is the default Music

kbrede

Reaction score

Where is the Media Gallery app? Is it on the Droid by default or do I need to download it?

The only media app I have is the default Music

I'm sorry, I meant "Gallery," sorry for the confusion. :(
Kent

OP
T

Thefamous1

Reaction score
Ah, so the Gallery app shows both video and images?

Also, I tried to put a movie onto my Droid and it had a wait time of 1 hour, does that seem right?

kbrede

Reaction score

Also, I tried to put a movie onto my Droid and it had a wait time of 1 hour, does that seem right?

Yep, it will show pictures and video.

How big is the movie file you're trying to put on? It must be huge. I'm no expert on this but I rip my videos with DVD Catalyst 3 before putting them on my phone. It formats to fit your screen. My movies are generally in the range of 800-900 MB. Transfer to sdcard is usually just a few minutes, 2-4 IIRC.
Kent

OP
T

Thefamous1

Reaction score

How big is the movie file you're trying to put on? It must be huge. I'm no expert on this but I rip my videos with DVD Catalyst 3 before putting them on my phone. It formats to fit your screen. My movies are generally in the range of 800-900 MB. Transfer to sdcard is usually just a few minutes, 2-4 IIRC.
Kent

It's 879MB .mp4, but I haven't formatted it or anything.

What does DVD Catalyst 3 do?

kbrede

Reaction score

Kent

It's 879MB .mp4, but I haven't formatted it or anything.

What does DVD Catalyst 3 do?

I'm not sure why it's taking so long to move your file over.

DVD Catalyst 3 rips your movies from DVD and formats them specifically for small screens. It comes with three pre-sets for Motorola Droid.

Tools4Movies, Official home of DVD Catalyst

There are other options, free ones.

See this thread for more info.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/2168-what-movies-your-droid.html
Kent

OP
T

Thefamous1

Reaction score
I'll mess around with it and try to figure out what's wrong.

One more question though, is there a place to download videos/tv shows/movies (like the apple store) directly to your phone?

kbrede

Reaction score
I'll mess around with it and try to figure out what's wrong.

One more question though, is there a place to download videos/tv shows/movies (like the apple store) directly to your phone?

I'm not aware of one, but I haven't actually looked either. :) Maybe someone else will chime in if they know for sure.
Kent

mikespe

Reaction score
I created a folder called "Videos" in the root directory of the SD card and the video is seen by the Droid. I used the free version of DVD Catalyst to convert my mpeg to mp4...using the iPhone setting...worked great! I plan on putting all my guitar instructional videos on there! Perfect if I'm on the go!

OP
T

Thefamous1

Reaction score
I created a folder called "Videos" in the root directory of the SD card and the video is seen by the Droid. I used the free version of DVD Catalyst to convert my mpeg to mp4...using the iPhone setting...worked great! I plan on putting all my guitar instructional videos on there! Perfect if I'm on the go!

Did you set the resolution to 720x480?