Getting movies to show up in gallery

ips

Reaction score
I just got my droid yesterday and am trying to get movies to work with it. My movies were all ripped using handbrake with the iphone/ipod touch setting. They are all in either mp4 or MPEG formats. I have tried dragging and dropping the files into a media folder I put in the DCIM folder. This resulted in the videos showing up in astro but nowhere else, starting and then saying that they will not play. What am i doing wrong that is not letting the gallery recognize my videos like it does my pictures or like my music player recognizes all my music?

Houndstooth

Reaction score
I just got my droid yesterday and am trying to get movies to work with it. My movies were all ripped using handbrake with the iphone/ipod touch setting. They are all in either mp4 or MPEG formats. I have tried dragging and dropping the files into a media folder I put in the DCIM folder. This resulted in the videos showing up in astro but nowhere else, starting and then saying that they will not play. What am i doing wrong that is not letting the gallery recognize my videos like it does my pictures or like my music player recognizes all my music?

Make a folder called videos on your SD card and put them in there

OP
ips

ips

Reaction score

Make a folder called videos on your SD card and put them in there

I called it videos first...then movies. It is in the media folder I made. I just tried it again, one movie in MPEG and one in mp4 and they showed up in astro, started playing and then said they could not play. No videos showed up in the gallery.

Houndstooth

Reaction score
Are you putting it in the DCIM folder? Don't. Just put it right on the first directory. sdcard/videos if you're using astro. not sdcard/DCIM/videos.

OP
ips

ips

Reaction score
Ill try that right now, I had read online that your suppose to put your media in the DCIM folder, though before I did that I had my videos in "videos" which was in "media"

OP
ips

ips

Reaction score
The mp4 video showed up in the gallery and played fine for 5 seconds. A message saying Cannot play video sorry, this video can not be played showed up. The mpeg video showed up in astro and did the same thing.

Houndstooth

Reaction score
Well, I'd say download a free video player and see if they will play it.
Some suggestions: Act 1 Video Player (Trial), Meridian, Cinema.

Double check and make sure you're using mp4s and not mkvs (handbrake used to rip stuff to my touch in mkv so just thought maybe should double check.

But it sounds like there's something wrong with your rips. Do you know anything about what format, resolution, etc it's ripping in? iPod Touch setting should be fine, but you never know. Are you using the newest version of handbrake?

OP
ips

ips

Reaction score
Yea I am and Ive tried both formats and just re ripped a movie and the same problem happned. Im wondering if its a problem with the phone, it doesnt seem to like to play HQ youtube videos either, they frequently quit on me.

Houndstooth

Reaction score
Ok, well I'd suggest a few more things and then I have to go to bed. First, as our friend DVDcatalyst the poster says, make sure that the videos play fine on your computer. Then, make sure you do a phone reset / battery pull. Obviously, make sure your SD card isn't mounted when you're trying to play the vids (I don't even think this is possible).

2nd, download and transfer some of the trailers posted in this thread:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/15161-droid-optimized-movie-trailers.html

See if some of those trailers work fine.

If they do, try to use the free version of DVDCatalyst the program to rip the same videos you have and see if you have better luck. There is a preset for the droid.

Tools4Movies, Official home of DVD Catalyst

Basically, just try to isolate your problem.

If the trailers and DVDCatalyst rip play fine, then it sounds like maybe a problem with Handbrake. Do a forum search for Handbrake and see what tweaks people have made to settings to get good playback from Handbrake.

If none of the trailers will play, then I guess you'll just have to wait for someone more knowledgeable to come along. Good luck!

OP
ips

ips

Reaction score
it got about 10 or so seconds in and the same message came up. So the droid optimized trailers do the same thing the rest of my videos have done.

EDIT: Youtube is having a lot of problems too, randomly stopping videos in both low quality and high quality.... its as if my droid hates videos all together.

Last edited:

fLiP SiD3

Reaction score
I have experienced the same problem your facing...........but , the consensus is that your movies have to be formatted a certain way for you to be able to play it on your droid. DVD CATALYST 3 is the program that made things so so so easy to make this work , unfortunately it is not free it is only $10 and it works GREAT. Not only that , if you have issue or questions , tech support gets back to you within a few hours. I have had NO issues figuring it out and movies look great on my droid

SILVER COUPE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G6
i used handbrake, and when done, right click on movie, then send to e drive. my movies show up in the sd card folder and play with no problem. i used the iphone settings and changed it a little so that the movie takes up the whole screen, then i save the settings and rename it droid.

Last edited:

fLiP SiD3

Reaction score
i used handbrake, and when done right click on movie, then send to e drive. my movies show up in the sd card folder and play with no problem. i used the iphone settings and changed it a little so that the movie takes up the whole screen, then i save the settings and rename it droid.

Wished it was that easy when I used handbrake........I tried exactly what you did and I got picture , but , audio was not there. I dont know if I am just an idiot or what , but , I am pretty good when it comes to computers and electronics. Handbrake , just was not cooperating with me thats for sure

D

dvdcatalyst

The iPhone/iPod Touch MP4 movies should play fine on the Droid. People have some issues with modified settings when using handbrake, but the default iPhone/Touch files should play fine, but you have to rename the m4v file extention to mp4.

From previous posts, I dont think it matters where you put the actual files.

As mentioned in a previous reply, when you have issues, always try and play the files on your computer using VLC or Quicktime. Quicktime is more picky than VLC, so I'd suggest to use that to makesure the files are encoded properly. VLC will play some corrupted files as well, so its safer to use Quicktime to test.

OP
ips

ips

Reaction score
They work in QuickTime and vocal as well as my iPod touch. Likewise said not even the Droid formatted movie previews in your thread work. YouTube. Is having trouble too