PSX4Droid Playstation Emulator Pulled From Android Market; Consipracy Theories Abound

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Psx4droidV2_thumb.jpg

In a move that has some people scratching their heads, and others suggesting conspiracies, Google has pulled the PSX4Droid PlayStation Emulator from the Android Market, citing "Content Policy violation". It does seem a little suspect considering that Sony is one of Google's mobile partners, and we are soon to get the new Sony Ericsson Xperia Play (PlayStation Phone). When questioned about the issue, Google responded with a simple, "We remove apps from Android Market that violate our policies."

It's important to note that while the developer himself believes that Sony is behind this, others in the industry point a finger at his improper GPL Licensing. Also, another PlayStation emulator, FPSe, is still on the Android Market, so that throws another "logic-wrench" in the conspiracy theory. What do you guys think?

Source: AndroidCentral

bigwilly90210

Reaction score
I call bs either way. It is awfully suspicious with the impending release of the Xperia Play that all of a sudden the most popular PSX emulator on the Market suddenly gets pulled. This plus HTC/Motorola's locked bootloaders and the Honeycomb source possibly not ever being released I'm not excited at all about the direction Google/Android is going. Not enough to jump ship, but I'm pretty sure we've seen the last of the REAL good phones like the OG Droid. *sigh*

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I personally don't care, I don't use my phone for gaming except in the most dire situations, I have a real PS3 for when I want to actually game.

Playing serious titles on my 3.7in screen is a joke to me at best.

beneharris

Reaction score
its not like psx4droid works well anyway... who knows, he probably had google pull it so he didn't have to work on it anymore and people would stop complaining

/conspiracy

that is odd though. i wonder how i will get my copy of it back, it isn't installed on my phone now, i wonder if i can get an apk of it from his website? there is gonna be a lot of angry people who can't get their paid app now

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
its not like psx4droid works well anyway... who knows, he probably had google pull it so he didn't have to work on it anymore and people would stop complaining

/conspiracy

that is odd though. i wonder how i will get my copy of it back, it isn't installed on my phone now, i wonder if i can get an apk of it from his website? there is gonna be a lot of angry people who can't get their paid app now

Are you rooted? Do you have a nandroid backup or Titanium backup?

beneharris

Reaction score
i am rooted, i'll have to check and see hiow far back my nandroid backups go, i may have one with it in there :icon_ banana:

Inverse

Reaction score
I should have downloaded it when I had the chance honestly. Though I'm sure the apk will be available online.

Kanibull

Reaction score
my guess is its because google didnt like the way he was distributing the app. seeing as whenever he released a major update he would make it a totally different app you would have to purchase again. first psx emulator he released was called psx4droid, and when there was a major update, instead of updating that app he just released another app called psx4droidv2. maybe google dont play that. or it could just be the apps sent signals to the satellites and they watched us.

frozty

Reaction score
I don't mean to really bash on any one or complain, but I honestly think the dev was trying to squeeze the money out of people. The emulator was good to me it (no problems at all) all I wanted to play RPGs on my android since its no action gaming device.

I think he was supposed to work on th N64 emu too but no word on it, I really don't think he wanted to keep on working on the android platform. Or maybe he has things to do.

frozty

Reaction score
Correction sorry I just fount out that he did finish n64oid. Nvm

UNC

Reaction score
my guess is its because google didnt like the way he was distributing the app. seeing as whenever he released a major update he would make it a totally different app you would have to purchase again. first psx emulator he released was called psx4droid, and when there was a major update, instead of updating that app he just released another app called psx4droidv2. maybe google dont play that. or it could just be the apps sent signals to the satellites and they watched us.

You're wrong, I bought it first day and the Dev makes updates for the original app to be updated to ver. 2.... you don't have to purchase it again... if you aren't sure about something, don't speak on it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Kanibull

Reaction score
ok then tell me what is the reason behind having two of the same apps out? one being called v2 and yet there were capatability problems in v2 that wasnt in v1? im just assuming you know more than me since you have stated that i was wrong.

UNC

Reaction score
ok then tell me what is the reason behind having two of the same apps out? one being called v2 and yet there were capatability problems in v2 that wasnt in v1? im just assuming you know more than me since you have stated that i was wrong.

Alright. Version 2 of the app is just updated with google checkout. A lot of people had problems downloading the first version, so when it got to 2.0 they released it as a seperate app. The people who downloaded it as version 1.x got it updated just the same though... it says "download version 2" to direct people who have not paid. Not the people that have....

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Jakeworld

Reaction score