Google Pulls Malware From Android Market; Also, $1M Stolen This Year Due to Malware

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Dec 14, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

In two separate reports there has been some notable movement in the issue of Android malware. The first report indicates that Google has recently pulled some malware from the Android Market, called RuFraud, that was an SMS hole exploit. "Android.RuFraud poses as popular games like Angry Birds, Assassins Creed or Tetris and can affect users across Europe and Russia." It has primarily affected European markets, but shows a disturbing trend that is expected to get worse in 2012. The exploit basically tricked users into sending SMS messages to premium-rate phone lines.

The second report comes directly from the security company, Lookout Security, and also indicates that malware is on the rise and will continue to worsen in 2012. Their report shared that more than $1 Million has been stolen over 2011 because of malware fraud on Android devices. Here is their full press release:

Most of the time, it's easy to dismiss this stuff as marketing hype, especially the individual reports from security companies; however, a head-in-the-sand approach is probably not a good idea. For every tech-savvy forum user we have, there are two regular consumers that can (and have) fallen for some of these tricks. It's important for us to take this seriously and help our less than knowledgeable friends and family members avoid some of these pitfalls.

Source: Engadget and BGR
  2. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

I wish there was some way to educate people on how to use the market. With smart phones becoming more and more popular to none tech people it's easy to take advantage of them.
  3. Byakushiki

Byakushiki New Member

Simply put, there will always be blind sheep on either side of the mobile OS war that fall for stuff like this. Apple fans capitalize on these things just as much as we would if the same happened to them.
  4. redoregon

redoregon Member

Snake oil salesman predicts huge increase in healings due to snake oil

Yes, there certainly is a problem with malware, but I sure wish *independent* security outfits would do some reporting. Ever since anti-virus companies got busted writing virii and releasing them into the wild, I have serious problems taking any report coming from a company that stands to make money off the problem seriously.
  5. rowdyguy124

rowdyguy124 New Member

The scary part is that even knowledgeable tech savvy users feel safe. And it's not the case. I'm sure that most iOS users will believe 100% that since they use an Apple product that they are immune to threats. With the large iPhone and iPad market penetration they are in for a big surprise.
  6. WildcatRudy

WildcatRudy New Member

I'd love to post this on an iphone/ipad/ios forum; the fanboys always needle us because Android is "open". Malware writers love larger targets; why target thousands when you get a bigger payoff with hunndreds of thousands.

My #1 rule (and that of many of my colleagues) of I.T.: all computers are vulnerable, and never assume any are invincible. That's when the problems start. (And in this era, "computers" are now actually "devices" like smartphones which are computers on a small scale.)

Rule #2 of I.T. is that the real problem is sitting between the keyboard and the monitor. :D
  7. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

Back before Android became a hit. The iPhone had its share of vulnerabilities.
  8. Chizzele

Chizzele Team Sourcery Developer

I think that this is a good enough reason to make sure that any mobile payment solution offered to the public such as Google Wallet or ISIS is secure enough against these. I know that anything can be hacked but having your purchasing power on your phone is a good enough reason for a few extra layer of security.
  9. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

I had Lookout on my OG Droid. Every week I'd get an email telling me it caught stuff, but it wouldn't tell me what it caught. I wish I knew so I could prevent it from happening again.
  10. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Well-Known Member

The only thing that Bitdefender has found on the phone thus far has been non-market apps I've installed and are "potentially malicious." It has flagged a website or two, but nothing major as of yet. Of course the best thing is to always know where you navigate to and what you're downloading.
Search tags for this page

botnet