PSX4Droid => General Discussion

trev186

Reaction score
PSX4droid Version 2 is out

I bought it mainly to support Zodttd since he is the only one who even makes a PSX emulator for us to enjoy.

From what I understand he is re-writing the emulator and it will be more compatible in the future than the orginal version we all have now is.

At this time though it is less compatible and does not have the DIV Counter tweak. I have not tested much on it but things are slower than 1.7 in a lot of games and Parasite Eve 2 no longer works.

I heard a rumor (will verify at home) That Metal Gear Solid may work in this version...which would be reason enough to pay the extra $2.00

I just paid the extra $2.00 to support him in hopes of the N64 emulator coming out soon

Version 2 is not as good as version 1 and is not a good replacement. maybe in the future but not now.

swrap

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has addressed this... but I downloaded the xenogears rom and it was two .rar folders for each disc... yet when I de-compress the disc 1... It creates a folder with two files in it... a .mdf and a .mds file... yet when I de-compress the second disc, it creates a .img file, a .sub, and a .ccd file. I put the .img file on my phone and the game works... until I get to the new game and I click it and it proceeds to say "Insert Disc 1".... how do I get around this?

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
I didn't even realize a v2 was out until I read v1 Market reviews while reinstalling PSX4Droid (new ROM). I saw 10 "1 star" ratings in a row and was shocked; after seeing what has happened, I too changed my 4 stars to 1.

Essentially, v1 was a paid beta, so the dev could get the hang of coding a PS emulator for Linux. ZodTTD expects me to pay again, and for a (currently) less capable product? No grandfathering in for v1 early supporters? There is still room for improvement in v1, but it will no longer receive fixes/updates because the developer has determined it's inferior enough to warrant a complete rewrite? I don't recall seeing the word "beta" in v1's description. If I purchase v2, will there eventually be a v3 whose saves states are also not backwards compatible? How do I know that won't happen?

In my eyes, "he is the only one who bothered to bring the PSX emulator to Android" should not shield him from equitable criticism. If other developers charged you twice for one product, citing similar reasons, would you find it acceptable?

Donating money to him is a nice gesture, especially in hopes of supporting his future efforts; without a doubt, it helps the Android community thrive. But paying for the app itself is the appropriate compensation he gets for developing the app; he should have raised the price of the original PSX4Droid to support his development, rather than charging legacy users a second time because he chose to rewrite the emulator framework.

I wish ZodTTD would have followed how Notch (of Minecraft fame) develops his software while continuing to generate user loyalty: early supporters receive all future updates for free, and the price rises over time to reflect the development status of the software. We are not being charged $2 extra for a better version of PSX4Droid; we are being charged $2 because the dev made a mistake with v1.

Dhsu

Reaction score
Just bought v2. I liked what I saw with 1.7 Lite and figured I couldn't go wrong for $2. In general seeing a little less speed, in exchange for fewer glitches overall. The Wild ARMS image I couldn't get to start in 1.7 actually runs now. :)

Personally $2 is nothing, but I can see how people might get hung up on the principle of paying for updates. On the other hand, a lot of people have automatic updates on, and I'd imagine they would be even angrier when they find out they can't use their save states anymore. Lose-lose it seems like.

dredger

Reaction score
It is more about principal than money. I mean $2 is nothing really, but when you have been following Zods development and are among the first to support his droid app it just sucks. I bought psx on like day 3 of release, as soon as the market issue was fixed, knowing it wouldn't be perfect but supporting his development anyways. Then we spend months waiting for an update, thinking he took the money and ran. Finally an update comes that helps the emu but still it runs like a beta build. Now he puts out a new version and expects more money?! We paid $6 for an unfinished product that was never fixed and we did it in good faith expecting the bugs to be fixed.

This type of marketing wouldn't fly outside the market, so why let it go inside? We wouldn't buy a ps3 game that stopped working 20mins into it and then PURCHASE a fix from the dev. Yet that is what is expected here.

Unless Zod offers the update for free to V1 purchasers I am done with this developer. It may sound cheesy but its not like I am missing much, I barely used V1 at all, I was waiting patiently for Zod to optimize his emu. As it stands Zod took the money of V1 users and split, leaving a half finished product. He really is a genius, you don't ever here of devs charging to beta test their products until now.

Done with Zod.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

dredger

Reaction score
No I believe that the save formats are different so they can't be used from V1 to V2 or vice versa.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

trev186

Reaction score
I didn't even realize a v2 was out until I read v1 Market reviews while reinstalling PSX4Droid (new ROM). I saw 10 "1 star" ratings in a row and was shocked; after seeing what has happened, I too changed my 4 stars to 1.

Essentially, v1 was a paid beta, so the dev could get the hang of coding a PS emulator for Linux. ZodTTD expects me to pay again, and for a (currently) less capable product? No grandfathering in for v1 early supporters? There is still room for improvement in v1, but it will no longer receive fixes/updates because the developer has determined it's inferior enough to warrant a complete rewrite? I don't recall seeing the word "beta" in v1's description. If I purchase v2, will there eventually be a v3 whose saves states are also not backwards compatible? How do I know that won't happen?

In my eyes, "he is the only one who bothered to bring the PSX emulator to Android" should not shield him from equitable criticism. If other developers charged you twice for one product, citing similar reasons, would you find it acceptable?

Donating money to him is a nice gesture, especially in hopes of supporting his future efforts; without a doubt, it helps the Android community thrive. But paying for the app itself is the appropriate compensation he gets for developing the app; he should have raised the price of the original PSX4Droid to support his development, rather than charging legacy users a second time because he chose to rewrite the emulator framework.

I wish ZodTTD would have followed how Notch (of Minecraft fame) develops his software while continuing to generate user loyalty: early supporters receive all future updates for free, and the price rises over time to reflect the development status of the software. We are not being charged $2 extra for a better version of PSX4Droid; we are being charged $2 because the dev made a mistake with v1.

I understand the idea but is it really such a hassle to give the guy $2.00 more? Lots of issues come up with this sort of emulator and takes more work to maintain. For example the only way he can make FF8 run perfect it to make the vast majority of other games run slower. I recommended he release another version that works just with FF8 dont know if he will or if it will be paid or free but right now FF8 is a bit tough to play on the phone

In other news see the below for my complete update of 1.7 vs V2

Compatibility list comparing 1.7 vs 2.0 (sometimes using 1.1 ) Assume the default bios file (unless I mention otherwise). All my games are EBOOT versions (except for 1). I will mention any tweaks used. I am a Nexus 1 on 2.2

Let is be said if you use save states from old different versions of this app they are more prone to fail. Load from a memory card when trying new things.

Alone in the Dark-One Eyed Jack's Revenge: Works at full speed in 1.7 may need to toggle div counter tweak on/off

Alone in the Dark the New Nightmare: Runs in 2.0 and not in 1.7

Alundra: Works in Both 1.7 and 2.0

Arc the Lad 1-3: Both versions are fine

Azure Dreams: Works the same as 1.5 except sound is better

Baulder's Gate: Works in Both 1.7 and 2.0

Beyond the Beyond: Works in Both 1.7 and 2.0

Brave Fencer Musashi: 1.7 Runs 100% 2.0 Runs 100% as well now

Breath of Fire 3: Runs fine in both 1.7 and 2.0

Breath of Fire 4: USE WITH 2.0 ! 1.7 has some problems which require you to swap between save states and such to get past intro. 2.0 works 100% no freezing at ledge or in menus.

Bushido Blade 1 and 2: 2.0 both work about 90% in version 1.7 and 2

Castlevania SOFTN:1.7 is about 90% speed 2.0 is about 90% speed

Civilization 2: 1.7 and 2.0 are both fine

Command and Conquer: 1.7 and 2.0 are both fine

Dino Crisis 1 and 2: 1.7 boots to black screen, V2 starts both 1 and 2 just fine (voices stutter a little bit). 1.1 also runs 1 and 2.

Dragon Valor: 1.7 and 2.0 are fine

Dragon Warrior 7: 1.7 does not work to start a new game, 2.0 Lets you enter a name but then cannot go any further.

Driver 1 and 2: 1.7 and 2.0 both work

Dune 2000: 1.7 and 2,0 both work

Ehrgeiz: 1.7 too slow to be worth playing, 2.0 is about 75% still a little too slow to enjoy.

Einhander: 1.7 and 2.0 both work

Eternal Eyes: Works in both 1.7 and 2.0

Fear Effect 1: Runs in 1.7 at 100% speed but sound sometimes bugs out and goes super fast still playable. 2.0 will not load this game.

Fear Effect 2: Runs in 1.7 100% sound again sometimes is fast. 2.0 screen is black but you can hear sound

Final Fantasy 7: 1.7 runs this just fine. 2.0 No longer freezes at first battle.

Final Fantasy 8: 2.0 and 1.7 have no noticeable differences in the beginning .Runs fastest in 1.1 on the over world map which is were problems lie...You can play 1.1 up until Disc 2 when you gain control of the Garden. After this the garden will not move on land. At this point you must swap to a more recent version (1.7 will run through the end but you could use v2 so you do not have to uninstall 1.1). The Garden will move but it will be hard to see unless you press start a lot. This may seem crazy but you can actually finish disc 2 FAST I beat FF8 on my phone and spent 20 mins on the world map driving the garden. Once you reach Esthar in Disc 3 this is not a problem Raganarok will fly just fine so you are ok.Chocobos are your friends.

Final Fantasy 9: 2.0 plays just fine now. 1.7 will play the game just fine with about 1 freeze point per disc (always when sprites are moving on CG scenes) This can be skipped by playing that part on a PC.

Final Fantasy Tactics: 1.7 Runs perfect, 2.0

Front Mission 3: Zodttd claims this works in version 2. I have not had much luck though. Both 1.7 and 2.0 cannot run this yet. I am asking Zodttd how he got it to work. Name screen will not display text so you cant see what your doing

Grandia: No problems in 1.7 or 2.0

Gran Turismo: Works the same in 1.7 and 2.0 very fun

Gran Turismo 2: Works the same in 1.7 and 2.0 very fun

Hoshigami-Ruining the Blue Earth: Works and no one has heard of this game so why do I even bother :p

Hot Shots Golf: 1.7 is 100% 2.0 is 100% as well

Jade Cocoon: 1.7 has no problems, 2.0 Seems fine so far.

Legend of Dragoon: 1.7 works, 2.0 plays fine

Legend of Legaia: 1.7 You can get this game to work. Email me @ [email protected] In 2.0 the game is much slower and not worth it. game freezes when learning first arts move. Once learned you can play on. May need to learn some new arts moves on a PC the first time and be weary of using some special attacks. Though it is very playable. Worth it if you love this game as much as me and do not have time to play it at home.

Lunar 1: perfect on 1.7, 2.0 you move like too fast to keep up

Lunar 2: perfect on 1.7, 2.0 you move like too fast to keep up

Mech Warrior 2 31st Century Combat: Works the same in 1.7 and 2.0 very fun

Medal of Honor 1: 1.7 has no problems, 2.0 Seems fine so far.

Medal of Honor 2: 1.7 has no problems, 2.0 Seems fine so far.

Metal Gear Solid : UPDATE. Version 2 just got an update today. The game is now playable. The voices are gone for the time being but everything else is ok once you check the SPU TWEAK.
* The Best version of Metal Gear Solid is the integral version. Turn on English subtitles and it is great. No need for SPU Tweak and also faster with less graphical glitches

Metal Slug X: 1.7 and 2.0 are no go

Myst: no luck in 1.7 or 2.0

Parasite Eve 1: 1.7 runs 100%, 2.0 works just fine

Parasite Eve 2: 1.7 It will run with the Div Counter tweak on. 2.0 it will not run

Rayman: Will not run in 2.0 or 1.7 because CDDA is not supported

Rayman 2: Runs about 90% speed in 1.7, 2.0 works about the same as 1.7

Resident Evil 1: 1.7 and 2.0 are both fine

Resident Evil 2: 1.7 and 2.0 are both fine

Resident Evil 3: 1.7 and 2.0 are both fine

Riven: Seems fine in 1.7 and 2.0

Silent Hill: 1.7 and 2.0 are both fine

Soviet Strike: Not yet tested in 2.0

Star Ocean 2: 1.7 works and 2.0 works

Suikoden 1: 1.7 works and 2.0 runs good

Suikoden 2: 1.7 runs and 2.0 runs

Tales of Destiny: 1.7 is perfect, 2.0 runs fine

Tales of Destiny 2: 1.7 runs great, 2.0 runs fine

Tekken 3: 1.7 is about 50% speed, 2.0 is about 75% but has a horrible stuttering sound effect

Tenchu: 1.7 and 2.0 are fine

Thousand Arms: 1.7 and 2.0 both do not work Black screen at start and no text showing up in boxes. and ground is black

Tomb Raider: Not yet tested in 2.0

Tomb Raider 2: Not yet tested in 2.0

Tomb Raider 3:1.7 and 2.0 are both fine

Tomb Raider 4-5: 1.7 and 2.0 are both fine

Twisted Metal 2: Runs 100% in both 1.7 and 2.0 recommend you alter the controls though

Twisted Metal 4: Runs 100% in both 1.7 and 2.0 runs about 90%

Vagrant Story: 1.7 loaded and played perfectly, 2.0 has not given me any issues either

Valkryie Profile: 1.7 had no issues with freezing, 2.0 crashes when talking to Frei (hate testing this game stupid intro is 10 mins plus to get through)

Vandal Hearts 1 and 2:1.7 and 2.0 seem fine

Vanguard Bandits: 1.7 and 2.0 are both fine

Warcraft 2: Works in 1.7 but not in 2.0

Wild Arms: 1.7 is 100%, seems ok in 2.0

Wild Arms 2: 1.7 is 100%, seems ok in 2.0

Wing Commander 3: 1.7 and 2.0 both work

Wing Commander 4: 1.7 and 2.0 both work

X-Com UFO Defense: Works in 1.7 and 2.0

Xenogears: 1.7 works great, 2.0 runs fine

Dhsu

Reaction score
I'm actually getting a really annoying glitch in Final Fantasy Tactics where at the end of almost every box of dialog I'll hear this weird long sound, like a stone door slowly opening or something. It's kind of frustrating because otherwise it plays really well.

Last edited:

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
I understand the idea but is it really such a hassle to give the guy $2.00 more?
I don't mean to cause offense, but the second half of your sentence shows precisely why you don't understand my point. I'm an adult who makes good money. $2.00 is nothing to me.

ZodTTD realized he couldn't fix all the compatibility issues without remaking the emulator. The way you see it, V2 is a "better" or "improved" emulator; the way I see it, V1 was flawed and inefficient from the start and Zod realized this after several months. I made a thread back in August voicing my concerns, and everyone tried to assuage my fears. I was convinced, but as it turns out, they were wrong.

I got a recall notice for my car for a faulty power window switch; they didn't charge me for a fix. They eat the cost because they made the mistake. Imagine if the automaker downplayed the inferiority of the flawed part, and instead claimed, "new and improved version! Fixes the flaws of the previous part! Only $9.95!"

Would you say, "It's only 10 bucks, that's cheap for car repair! Besides, engineering/manufacturing the new part is hard work, we should pay them for it!" That doesn't hold water with me.

This is capitalism, I get it. But in the interest of consumer loyalty, and just plain not making early adopters feel like they got ripped off, V1 purchasers should've gotten V2 for free.

Mayze

Reaction score
He's gotten plenty of $upport for his faulty original. Look how many times it was downloaded. Multiply that by $5 a pop and you will see he's made plenty enough for support.

He's trying to rip people off with charging for another version that is just as bad if not worse than the original.

rafaellvamos

Reaction score
I am looking for some site providing some free ebooks for learning Android development as a beginners, can anyone please suggest me some of valuable links for the same

h4ckd

Reaction score
I am looking for some site providing some free ebooks for learning Android development as a beginners, can anyone please suggest me some of valuable links for the same

I have the O'Reilly Android Developer ebook app
I uploaded it for you here: Android Dev 1.0.11.apk
just install and enjoy
this will get you started on learning the basics, and advanced stuff as well