PSX4Droid => General Discussion

bananaclawz86

Reaction score
umm...i've checked, and it looks like Chrono cross, Final Fantasy 7, RE...pretty much all capcom and squaresoft games are running great, but now all OTHER games still speed up in sound and CGI....what on earth =(

SomerenV

Reaction score
I've been reading quite some pages (about the last 20 or so) and I still have a question. I don't have an Android phone just yet (will do in a week or 3) but are GTA 1 and/or 2 playable on PSX4Droid? I've read that GTA 1 works fine, but that in GTA2 the sprites for the player and car are missing. Is that still the case with 1.7, and if so, will it possibly be fixed in further releases?

I've never been a great fan of the PSX/1, so it's namely the PC classics that I'm interested in (Driver, NFS2,3 and 4, GTA series, MotoRacer and Oddworld. And Twisted metal, not a PC classic but still quite cool). I know all games will work, except the GTA series. So, if anyone has some answers :)

And thanks to Zodttd for making this even possible! I'm following you/him on Twitter for future updates and stuff :)

trev186

Reaction score
I've been reading quite some pages (about the last 20 or so) and I still have a question. I don't have an Android phone just yet (will do in a week or 3) but are GTA 1 and/or 2 playable on PSX4Droid? I've read that GTA 1 works fine, but that in GTA2 the sprites for the player and car are missing. Is that still the case with 1.7, and if so, will it possibly be fixed in further releases?

I've never been a great fan of the PSX/1, so it's namely the PC classics that I'm interested in (Driver, NFS2,3 and 4, GTA series, MotoRacer and Oddworld. And Twisted metal, not a PC classic but still quite cool). I know all games will work, except the GTA series. So, if anyone has some answers :)

And thanks to Zodttd for making this even possible! I'm following you/him on Twitter for future updates and stuff :)

Well like you said all the other games work. I am not sure if GTA 2 works or not. I thought I saw someone post on a different forum that during 1.5 it started working. I could be wrong though.

Try it out. You can always refund within 24 hours.

I will try and test it tomorrow morning when I have time and post back later if no one else has

I recommend a Nexus 1 by the way. 2.3/3.0 will come out soon. You will get it the day it comes out. The rest of the bunch wont see it for another 3-5 months.

SomerenV

Reaction score

Well like you said all the other games work. I am not sure if GTA 2 works or not. I thought I saw someone post on a different forum that during 1.5 it started working. I could be wrong though.

I will try and test it tomorrow morning when I have time and post back later if no one else has

I recommend a Nexus 1 by the way. 2.3/3.0 will come out soon. You will get it the day it comes out. The rest of the bunch wont see it for another 3-5 months.

Well, I live in The Netherlands, so we don't got the Nexus 1, HTC G2, Droid's, etc. A shame really, because the G2 seems to be really great (New 1Ghz Snapdragon with the Adrena 205 GPU). The only two new Snapdragon phones we get here are the HTC Desire Z and HD. The Z has a small resolution and the HD is too big. The G2 is basically an updated version of the Desire we got here, so that would've been perfect. Anyways, a Nexus 1 is kinda the same as the Desire I'm planning on getting, so we're on the same line on that one ;) As for the GTA games, I'll be awaiting your reply with test results! Thanks in advance!

Malrakh

Reaction score
Xenogears

I've only played FF7 and Xenogears. I beat FF7 on psx4droid 1.1 (it seems the best, albeit with a bit of static in the music). However, I'm having major issues with Xenogears.

1.1 - Sound is acceptable, physics glitches with running up stairs and getting "stuck" in the ground in certain areas makes it unplayable.

1.5 - Sound is unbearable, gameplay is pretty speedy.

1.61 - Sound is crisp with no static but it's completely unrecognizable. It speeds up in certain areas (Battle music for example), and skips notes. Audio in the Cut-scenes is recognizable, even it's a little out of sync. It's a shame because the audio is one thing that makes this game so great. Gameplay is amazingly speedy on this update, but I'm dying without the music.

I haven't updated to 1.7, yet but I feel like this audio issue is still present. Maybe it's a problem with my settings?

I'm on the Droid Incredible in the US via Verizon. It is rooted and I'm running a custom ROM on the stock Kernel.

Was anyone else able to fix this issue with the sound?

Thnx!

Trev, I'm unable to save files on Xenogears ("Error in reading memory card" when saving)...maybe there's an issue with my copy of the game? It's an .ISO file, maybe I should convert it to a .Bin or .img? Lemme know if you have any suggestions.

Last edited:

trev186

Reaction score
I've only played FF7 and Xenogears. I beat FF7 on psx4droid 1.1 (it seems the best, albeit with a bit of static in the music). However, I'm having major issues with Xenogears.

1.1 - Sound is acceptable, physics glitches with running up stairs and getting "stuck" in the ground in certain areas makes it unplayable.

1.5 - Sound is unbearable, gameplay is pretty speedy.

1.61 - Sound is crisp with no static but it's completely unrecognizable. It speeds up in certain areas (Battle music for example), and skips notes. Audio in the Cut-scenes is recognizable, even it's a little out of sync. It's a shame because the audio is one thing that makes this game so great. Gameplay is amazingly speedy on this update, but I'm dying without the music.

I haven't updated to 1.7, yet but I feel like this audio issue is still present. Maybe it's a problem with my settings?

I'm on the Droid Incredible in the US via Verizon. It is rooted and I'm running a custom ROM on the stock Kernel.

Was anyone else able to fix this issue with the sound?

Thnx!

Trev, I'm unable to save files on Xenogears ("Error in reading memory card" when saving)...maybe there's an issue with my copy of the game? It's an .ISO file, maybe I should convert it to a .Bin or .img? Lemme know if you have any suggestions.

From the 20 mins I tested Xenogears on 1.7 the music is much better. In the game menu set the sound settings to Mono as well. There was an issue with 1.6 when it was first released which disabled the memory cards. I am guessing you have not updated to 1.6. Update to 1.7. The changes the dev made only improved compatibility and sound. I saw no games go backward from 1.6.

If your memory card is still not working try changing the type of ROM you use. Actually you should just use EBOOTs anyways...they save you a ton of space.

By the way SomerenV I have heard from a few different users of HTC Desire phones that they have issues with PSX4droid that others do not.

The only games I know they have issues with are Breath of Fire 4 and Valkyrie Profile. which you are not interested in but I thought I would give you a heads up

Last edited:

trev186

Reaction score

Well, I live in The Netherlands, so we don't got the Nexus 1, HTC G2, Droid's, etc. A shame really, because the G2 seems to be really great (New 1Ghz Snapdragon with the Adrena 205 GPU). The only two new Snapdragon phones we get here are the HTC Desire Z and HD. The Z has a small resolution and the HD is too big. The G2 is basically an updated version of the Desire we got here, so that would've been perfect. Anyways, a Nexus 1 is kinda the same as the Desire I'm planning on getting, so we're on the same line on that one ;) As for the GTA games, I'll be awaiting your reply with test results! Thanks in advance!

Yes GTA 2 works

Everything is there. The start menu fills only half the screen but once you load the game everything is fine.

I played long enough to run out see some people and then get smashed by a car (this did not happen in GTA 3.... lol)

SomerenV

Reaction score
Yes GTA 2 works

Everything is there. The start menu fills only half the screen but once you load the game everything is fine.

I played long enough to run out see some people and then get smashed by a car (this did not happen in GTA 3.... lol)
Nice to hear that it works :) And thanks for testing it out! As for the Desire, I'm still searching and checking reviews, but for the moment that phone has the biggest price/quality ratio from what I hear on different forums (atleast, when looking at phones that are being sold in NL). I'll ask around on some other forums that aren't targeted at Droid's to find out some stuff about the Desire. But thanks again for your time!

hanfeitzu02

Reaction score
This most recent update really slowed down ffvii for me. Running on Droid1 UD1 rom, clocked at 1ghz.

1.5 was nearly full speed unless I was in a really crowded battle. I never play with sound so that's no concern of mine... How do I revert back?

ibebyi

Reaction score
Also, Im sure you guys all know already, but changing the refresh rate (fps) makes noticeable changes in sound. I don't know why this is.

on 2.1 SGS (OC'ed to 1.25ghz) I get best results with refresh rate set to default

Diordna

Reaction score
This most recent update really slowed down ffvii for me. Running on Droid1 UD1 rom, clocked at 1ghz.

1.5 was nearly full speed unless I was in a really crowded battle. I never play with sound so that's no concern of mine... How do I revert back?

Idk if there is another way. But you can always google "Psx4droid 1.5 apk" and download and install. It's not bad to say since you actually bought the game so it's not pirating, just helping you enjoy the bought product you purchased ;)

trev186

Reaction score
FF7 runs full speed in 1.7 for me. The only thing that is any slower is the music it seems

Last edited:

Diordna

Reaction score
It's been about 3 months since I put a ROM on my psx4droid. So I'm real foggy with putting new ROMs on.

I see the ways of the ECM and stuff but don't remember if you can do everything from just your phone or no? Like the other emulators you can just do everything from your phone, or is that impossible with psx?

Diordna

Reaction score
Also I want to know if these is a place where someone has the .bin or .img for games already so you don't need to UNECM and other stuff. I remember months ago I thought there was someone who posted a link about that.

One more question, whats the best way to do this with a linux OS like Ubuntu if need be?