Problems with Bluetooth after ICS update

GGDroid

Reaction score
RE: Ice Cream Sandwhich (ICS) update renders Blue Tooth (BT) on Droid 4's inoperable. Spent nearly the entire weekend attempting to find a fix or work around for the BT connection between my car and Droid 4 which following the ICS update rendered my BT mute--connection made, but no audio. Following nearly every forum suggestion and taking my phone into several Verizon stores, and sitting on "hold" for over 3 hours (I finally gave up), Verizon Wireless left me by saying, "sorry we can't do anything more". Unbelievable that in this day and age where safety (hands free devices) is a must (and mandatory in several states and Federal lands), I'm left with the latest and greatest Droid (4) without a working BT. Verizon, this is a basic cell phone service and function. To not have a fix is simply unacceptable. Please tell me there is a fix to this?

OP
G

GGDroid

Reaction score
The weird part to this story is .... if I turn off my BT.... start a call on my Droid 4... then in the middle of the call...go to my settings and turn on my BT... it works! But then still can't make or receive any calls (no audio) with BT on.

Last edited:

Shellster

Reaction score
Having the same problem, did you ever find a fix?

RE: Ice Cream Sandwhich (ICS) update renders Blue Tooth (BT) on Droid 4's inoperable. Spent nearly the entire weekend attempting to find a fix or work around for the BT connection between my car and Droid 4 which following the ICS update rendered my BT mute--connection made, but no audio. Following nearly every forum suggestion and taking my phone into several Verizon stores, and sitting on "hold" for over 3 hours (I finally gave up), Verizon Wireless left me by saying, "sorry we can't do anything more". Unbelievable that in this day and age where safety (hands free devices) is a must (and mandatory in several states and Federal lands), I'm left with the latest and greatest Droid (4) without a working BT. Verizon, this is a basic cell phone service and function. To not have a fix is simply unacceptable. Please tell me there is a fix to this?

OP
G

GGDroid

Reaction score
Having the same problem, did you ever find a fix?

Sadly, NO.... I went round and round and round with Verizon and the Droid... did the hard reset and ....nothing... everything else works great but the bluetooth... tried to connect to other vehicles with no luck, so I know it's the ICS update.... I went through some the forums and experimented with some of their "tricks" in the settings, but unfortunately, nothing again....
VERY pathetic that I don't get a REAL answer or direction from Verizon... basically they gave up... and I'm stuck with a phone with no bluetooth usability. If you get anywhere, I'd love to hear back...

Shellster

Reaction score
I've called Motorola and they had me do a "soft Reset" to no avail, they told me to call back if it didn't work but I haven't yet since they said the next step is the hard reset. Since people have already done that to no avail i'm not interested. Would love to hear from anyone who actually found a fix. By the way i'm driving a infiniti g35, worked fine until the ics update. I actually get sound if i am talking on my phone before i get into the car and start the car with bluetooth connected, but if i try from scratch while in the car it doesn't work.. go figure, NEED Answers!:angry:

Sadly, NO.... I went round and round and round with Verizon and the Droid... did the hard reset and ....nothing... everything else works great but the bluetooth... tried to connect to other vehicles with no luck, so I know it's the ICS update.... I went through some the forums and experimented with some of their "tricks" in the settings, but unfortunately, nothing again....
VERY pathetic that I don't get a REAL answer or direction from Verizon... basically they gave up... and I'm stuck with a phone with no bluetooth usability. If you get anywhere, I'd love to hear back...[/QUOTE]

outsid0r

Reaction score
quite honestly it maybe your devices, i can make/take calls on BT via my headset or even my cars radio... never had any problems from day 1 with ICS. Are either of you running anything but a stock ROM? im full stock except rooted with 0 BT issues

SnglGrma

Reaction score
Question?
Did you do a Factory Reset on the phone and before installing any of your apps try the blue tooth and phone?
I had loads of problems with my phone when I got the update, tried everything to fix them without the factory reset... but gave up and reset... now everything works good...
Oh!! And Dont save the settings to reload when you Factory Reset...

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Shellster

Reaction score
Thanks for the response OUtsidOr & SnglGrma, It's not the device, not running anything but stock and Motorola has admitted that there has been problems since the update. I am trying to avoid a hard reset, don't feel like instaling all my apps again, finally have the phone like i want it :). Any other suggestions before the factory reset?

quite honestly it maybe your devices, i can make/take calls on BT via my headset or even my cars radio... never had any problems from day 1 with ICS. Are either of you running anything but a stock ROM? im full stock except rooted with 0 BT issues

outsid0r

Reaction score
well if moto said its an issue maybe you can persuade them to swap u to another device, either the same or newer... it sure is worth a shot as its been told to you that it is a manufacturer defect.

SnglGrma

Reaction score
Nope, sorry... I can't imagine it being ICS defect.. but who knows with software these days... I still venture to say you have a conflict with a few apps on your phone and when you do a factory reset, delete all and do not have the phone reinstall apps after the reload. set it back up and test your blue tooth BEFORE adding any apps... if it still does not work ask for a replacement phone.

if it does, you can easily add your apps back by going to the google website play store and send one by one to your phone, testing each time to see if you find the conflicting apps. .. if so.. you saved yourself the steps in getting a replacement phone.

OP
G

GGDroid

Reaction score
Nothing more frustrating then to not be heard... So lets clarifiy to everyone. Unlike the other gentlemen, I did complete a HARD reset, a FACTORY reset, whatever you want to call it... I completed it.....AND IT DID NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM. Yes, as one writer suggested, I did NOT load any apps until I tried the BT connection... and NOTHING had changed my problem. I did NOT root my phone... as that would void my warranty with the phone. Like the other gentlemen reflected, I can start a call on the phone, then turn on the BT and it will work... but will not work to make or pick up a call after it's already on--certainly NOT a work around for a hands free device short of getting into an accident. Because the phone "works", I am not being offered a trade in from Verizon and for the first time in this Droid owner's span of owning droids, I am completely disappointed in Verizon for abandoning this problem in the ICS update... I am attempting to go down the Motorola folks path and see where that leads to...

antnip

Reaction score
I have been having the same problem and have taken the same steps as you to no avail. I am able to "connect" to my VW, but other than connecting, nothing works. I was able to access contacts, recent calls, etc and stream music via bluetooth before update and now nothing. I have a 2nd Bionic, which I repaired for someone who never picked up, and have same issue. Worked before ICS, not after.

I know this is no help, but at least you know you are not alone.

I agree that this is a joke. While all other functions are great, the bottom line is that this is a PHONE and now it no longer works as a phone as it did in my car.:angry:

SnglGrma

Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying GGDroid and Antnip... can I ask one more thing of you .... what Blue Tooth are you using? You don't have to actually tell me... but I know that when I had my Droid 2 I was able to use a Jawbone Icon ... but once I updated to my Droid 4 I HAD TO update my Blue Tooth as well to one in which handled the 4G signals.... the JawBone Icon Blue Tooth was not compatible and they told you that up front when I was researching my purchases.

Maybe.... just a thought here... you could go to a Verizon store and see if they will let you try out different blue tooth pieces to see if it is the ones you have now or it is in fact the phones...

Like the ones who state that the speakers are blown in the Droid 4's ... I have noticed the crackles will come on my phone when ever I raise my voice versus speaking in a low toned manner... I am learning all over again on how to speak on a cell phone !! LOL I know terrible right??!!

Shellster

Reaction score
I know you didn't mention me in your quote but, I am speaking of my car Bluetooth not an actual earpiece. Are you guys having the problem with A head piece or your car Bluetooth system?

Thanks for clarifying GGDroid and Antnip... can I ask one more thing of you .... what Blue Tooth are you using? You don't have to actually tell me... but I know that when I had my Droid 2 I was able to use a Jawbone Icon ... but once I updated to my Droid 4 I HAD TO update my Blue Tooth as well to one in which handled the 4G signals.... the JawBone Icon Blue Tooth was not compatible and they told you that up front when I was researching my purchases.

Maybe.... just a thought here... you could go to a Verizon store and see if they will let you try out different blue tooth pieces to see if it is the ones you have now or it is in fact the phones...

Like the ones who state that the speakers are blown in the Droid 4's ... I have noticed the crackles will come on my phone when ever I raise my voice versus speaking in a low toned manner... I am learning all over again on how to speak on a cell phone !! LOL I know terrible right??!!