Prevent/disable OTA ICS ??

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I can't imagine not being admin on my pc and network but I've been leery to jump in with my phone because it runs great and I don't have an issue with things like battery life. So I don't have any real positive push to do it. But more influential has been the negative, of seeing how many people write in with problems either initially or in subsequent upgrades.

I can see that most all of them are because people did things they shouldn't have - like delete instead of freeze apps. Or so I've read. I love my phone and wouldn't want to make the same mistake these folks did because I didn't know what I was doing would cause problems. I'm sure they didn't know either which is obviously the problem: you don't know what you don't know.

So I'm still just learning about all this and appreciate the info.

That's how I feel too, also it would be a pain if something happened to my device when I was on the road... how would a go back to stock so I could prevent getting charged?? Carry a laptop you say??? Lol, not with all of the other gear I have to carry :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I feel the same way, with all the after market launchers and themes you can add I don't feel the need for a ROM. The phone is fast enough stock for me, no need to mess with something that is working fine.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I feel the same way, with all the after market launchers and themes you can add I don't feel the need for a ROM. The phone is fast enough stock for me, no need to mess with something that is working fine.

I thought you were a rooter dude??? My bad.. :)

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I thought you were a rooter dude??? My bad.. :)

Oh I am rooted, bootstrapped, frozen, and sql hacked, but that is where I usually stop. Messing with ROM's have never been my cup of tea.

I don't like things making changes to my phone for me, I enjoy doing them myself.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's how I feel too, also it would be a pain if something happened to my device when I was on the road... how would a go back to stock so I could prevent getting charged?? Carry a laptop you say??? Lol, not with all of the other gear I have to carry :)

:rofl2:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I've read through a few threads and have yet to determine if its possible to prevent my currently working GB MAXX from annoyingly prompting me every day to upgrade to ICS.

Is this possible ?

I do NOT want to go to ICS. My phone works just fine now. It does what I need it to do and, more importantly, I know how to do it.

I do NOT want the headaches and learning curve associated with the ICS (debacle).

My wife mistakenly allowed the ICS upgrade on her phone (regular RAZR) and now she's very frustrated. Everything from her battery life dropping off to the diminished visibility of the status bar info.... & she doesn't do half the things I do.

I can only image the hours of forum browsing, tech support calls, reloading apps, learning new methods, and other 'post upgrade cleanup' that I will have to inve$t following the ICS upgrade.

So, is there any way to permanently stop the prompts and/or prevent my working GB from being fubar'd by Verizon, Motorola, Google or whoever...?

TIA

Some of the things your wife could do to help her get back to a phone she enjoys are:

- It does take some time but it is well worth it and solves most everyone's problems in ICS. The time it takes to do this does end up saving lots of time in the long run. First she can backup her applications and data using MyBackup and she can backup her text messages using SMS Backup & Restore (MyBackup also backups texts but SMS B&R just does it better imho). Once she is all backed up, she should do a factory data reset. I think this works better from the recovery menu and she can do more than one successive one from recovery but it is also fixes problems doing it from privacy in the settings menu.
-a huge Battery hog with ICS is that by default the phone is set to global. Unless she plans on traveling outside of the US., she needs to put it on on LTE/CDMA. go to System Settings --> More... (under Data Usage) ---> Mobile Networks ----> Network Mode ----> Select LTE/CDMA.

Keep us posted with any questions or if you need more ideas to get you both onto a phone you are happy with.

kingmeow

Reaction score
I have been trying to avoid ICS and I do not wish to root at this time. The handful of times it reminds me of the update I just select the "Install Later" button. So far I haven't seen the reminder repeated for days. I have been reminded about 3-4 time so far.

OP
D

Disgusted

Reaction score
Some of the things your wife could do to help her get back to a phone she enjoys are:

- It does take some time but it is well worth it and solves most everyone's problems in ICS. The time it takes to do this does end up saving lots of time in the long run. First she can backup her applications and data using MyBackup and she can backup her text messages using SMS Backup & Restore (MyBackup also backups texts but SMS B&R just does it better imho). Once she is all backed up, she should do a factory data reset. I think this works better from the recovery menu and she can do more than one successive one from recovery but it is also fixes problems doing it from privacy in the settings menu.
-a huge Battery hog with ICS is that by default the phone is set to global. Unless she plans on traveling outside of the US., she needs to put it on on LTE/CDMA. go to System Settings --> More... (under Data Usage) ---> Mobile Networks ----> Network Mode ----> Select LTE/CDMA.

Keep us posted with any questions or if you need more ideas to get you both onto a phone you are happy with.

Thanks for the info on backups. I was wondering about that. I keep seeing 'reset it to factory' and thought, "um, OK...but won't that wipe out all of my contacts, settings, info, etc...!?"

It looks like MyBackup, Verizon's Backup Assistant, Google backup whatever...all backup your data online to their servers. SMS B&R looks like it'll save it to the SD card.

For her, the online options are probably OK, but there is data on my phone that I cannot send 'out to the cloud' due to privacy/security concerns.

Are there any backup apps that let non-rooted phones backup emails, SMS, contacts, apps, settings, accounts, etc....to external media ?

I can get my Contacts & pics to the SD card and then to a PC, but haven't found anyway to do the rest...

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on backups. I was wondering about that. I keep seeing 'reset it to factory' and thought, "um, OK...but won't that wipe out all of my contacts, settings, info, etc...!?"

It looks like MyBackup, Verizon's Backup Assistant, Google backup whatever...all backup your data online to their servers. SMS B&R looks like it'll save it to the SD card.

For her, the online options are probably OK, but there is data on my phone that I cannot send 'out to the cloud' due to privacy/security concerns.

Are there any backup apps that let non-rooted phones backup emails, SMS, contacts, apps, settings, accounts, etc....to external media ?

I can get my Contacts & pics to the SD card and then to a PC, but haven't found anyway to do the rest...

Hook the phone up to your laptop or PC ... create a folder on your desktop. Copy and paste what you want to save into the folder. Then after you wipe the phone, you can easily put it back the same way. :)

I have a folder on my laptop called "SD Card" and it has EVERYTHING backed up in it.

EDIT: Emails, apps and accounts, I'm not sure about. But as far as apps, yeah, the phone would have to be rooted.

Last edited:

SallyC

Reaction score

So is speed the attraction with ROMs? I've never understood what that's all about either.

This thread has turned into a wealth of info on this subject for newbies like me. Thanks to all you experienced folks for sharing!:hail:

OP
D

Disgusted

Reaction score
I have been trying to avoid ICS and I do not wish to root at this time. The handful of times it reminds me of the update I just select the "Install Later" button. So far I haven't seen the reminder repeated for days. I have been reminded about 3-4 time so far.

I've been 'reminded' every morning upon first unlock of the day for the last 5-6 days on my MAXX. My wife's non-MAXX RAZR started a week or so before mine.

I did swing by the Verizon dealer that sold us the phones today and one guy I trust (the rest were obvious Verizon/ICS fanbois and would just quote the 'company line') said eventually you won't get a choice. It will just time out and auto-install on its own as their 'reminders' get more aggressive. They typically prompt in the wee morning hours so you don't have a chance to respond in the timeout period. Although, he did say that they typically check for full battery/on charger prior to auto-installing so keep it low and don't go to bed with it plugged in!

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So is speed the attraction with ROMs? I've never understood what that's all about either.

This thread has turned into a wealth of info on this subject for newbies like me. Thanks to all you experienced folks for sharing!:hail:

I am not 100% sure since I have never flashed a ROM, but I think one of the most popular things about ROM's is that many of them have bloatware removed completely, which would more than likely speed up the OS and the phone, plus some have neat designs from screen shots I have seen, but they just never interested me. I like to know what is and isn't on my phone, and if it's there I like to have control over it. And if a phone has a feature that is advertised, I don't like finding out after the fact that it costs extra for that feature. That's why I root. :icon_ devil:

SallyC

Reaction score

You do not need to be rooted to use MyBackup Pro although you have more options if you are. From their website:

What's supported on Android:
  • Application install files (If phone has root access, this includes APK+Data and Market Links)
  • Photos
  • Music
  • Videos
  • Contacts
  • Call log
  • Browser bookmarks
  • SMS (text messages)
  • MMS (attachments in messages)
  • System Settings
  • Home screens (including HTC Sense UI)
  • Alarms
  • Dictionary
  • Calendar
  • Music playlists
  • Integrated third party applications
My email, contacts and calendar are all on Google so I don't know about backing those up with something like this.

EDIT: I meant to add, you can back up to an external SD card or online. Either way.

Last edited: