Prevent/disable OTA ICS ??

Disgusted

Reaction score
I've read through a few threads and have yet to determine if its possible to prevent my currently working GB MAXX from annoyingly prompting me every day to upgrade to ICS.

Is this possible ?

I do NOT want to go to ICS. My phone works just fine now. It does what I need it to do and, more importantly, I know how to do it.

I do NOT want the headaches and learning curve associated with the ICS (debacle).

My wife mistakenly allowed the ICS upgrade on her phone (regular RAZR) and now she's very frustrated. Everything from her battery life dropping off to the diminished visibility of the status bar info.... & she doesn't do half the things I do.

I can only image the hours of forum browsing, tech support calls, reloading apps, learning new methods, and other 'post upgrade cleanup' that I will have to inve$t following the ICS upgrade.

So, is there any way to permanently stop the prompts and/or prevent my working GB from being fubar'd by Verizon, Motorola, Google or whoever...?

TIA

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
You'll need to be rooted and use Titanium Backup to freeze the updater.apk app on the phone. You'll then need to clear the cache (which can be done by booting into recovery) to make sure that the downloaded update has been removed.

OP
D

Disgusted

Reaction score
You'll need to be rooted and use Titanium Backup to freeze the updater.apk app on the phone. You'll then need to clear the cache (which can be done by booting into recovery) to make sure that the downloaded update has been removed.

Thanks !

Only prob now is that I've never rooted a phone. I understand the concept as I've built/rebuilt dozens of PCs/servers using various O/S's from various sources on various media, etc... I was hoping there was a way while retaining the OEM O/S so I wouldn't have to learn/perform the whole phone root thing....

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks !

Only prob now is that I've never rooted a phone. I understand the concept as I've built/rebuilt dozens of PCs/servers using various O/S's from various sources on various media, etc... I was hoping there was a way while retaining the OEM O/S so I wouldn't have to learn/perform the whole phone root thing....

It is quite easy to root. I just did it and was shocked how easy it was. Thanks to Matt L Groff's and MattyP's help and instructions, these are the steps I followed to root my RAZR Maxx. Proceed with caution, read through all of the steps before you begin and you should be able to successfully root your phone... with the ability to easily unroot it when necessary:

On your pc, download Matt L Groff’s Droid Razr Utility. It can be found at:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/216562-droid-razr-utility-1-8-a.html or

http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/3399-droid-razr-utility-181-windows-for-verizon-droid-razrmaxx-only

• Once downloaded, you will need to extract it to a folder on your PC.
  • Open the folder you extracted this file to.
  • In the Drivers(REQUIRED) folder, install the correct Motorola driver for your pc.
  • Make sure your phone is at least 50% battery before you begin.
  • Plug your phone into your computer usb using the usb cable that came with the phone.
  • From your phone’s status bar drop down, open the notification with the usb symbol and choose to connect as a media device (NOT as Mass Storage).
  • On your pc, in the folder you extracted the file to; find the "DroidRazrUtility.bat"file. Run that and choose option #2.Your phone will reboot itself twice during this process. When this is complete, follow the instructions in this utility window to get back to the Utility’s main menu.
  • From this utility, install bootstrap or safestrap BUT DO NOT INSTALL BOTH. Your phone will not reboot for that.
  • Go back to the Utility’s main menu and Install Voodoo Root Keeper. No reboots for that either.
  • On your phone, open Voodoo Root Keeper. Check to make sure you are rooted (if all the boxes are checked in Voodoo Root Keeper you are officially rooted).

Last edited:

SallyC

Reaction score
Thanks for the instructions, TisMyDroid. I'm not rooted, nor about to do it, but I'm interested in the process. One question - what's the difference between bootstrap and safestrap? Just wondering if there's a preferred one to install.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks for the instructions, TisMyDroid. I'm not rooted, nor about to do it, but I'm interested in the process. One question - what's the difference between bootstrap and safestrap? Just wondering if there's a preferred one to install.

All I know, the absolutely only thing I know, regarding safestrap and bootstrap is that you cannot install both and...

that MattyP prefers Bootstrap and because I was following his instructions, it is the one I went with. :icon_eek:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Lol! Thanks Sally for the kudos. It means a lot coming from you!

I was like you... very hesitant to root especially because my phone has been flawless. But I finally decided to because I was sick of programs and apps that I don't use but couldn't disable, taking up my phone's resources and burning my battery.

It really has been nice and it is basically the tap of a finger to unroot if I ever need to. Never was this easy with my og droid.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
If you are interested in installing a ROM I think you are going to want to go with Safestrap because most of the ROMs say they are only able to install with SafeStrap.

I myself use Bootstrap as well since I am not interested in ROMs but want a good back up and peace of mind to tinker.

SallyC

Reaction score
I can't imagine not being admin on my pc and network but I've been leery to jump in with my phone because it runs great and I don't have an issue with things like battery life. So I don't have any real positive push to do it. But more influential has been the negative, of seeing how many people write in with problems either initially or in subsequent upgrades.

I can see that most all of them are because people did things they shouldn't have - like delete instead of freeze apps. Or so I've read. I love my phone and wouldn't want to make the same mistake these folks did because I didn't know what I was doing would cause problems. I'm sure they didn't know either which is obviously the problem: you don't know what you don't know.

So I'm still just learning about all this and appreciate the info.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I use Bootstrap, and as Tis said, you cannot install both. Safestrap is used for ROM's and the like, and I have never flashed a ROM, I root to be able to freeze bloatware and of course, a little tethering here and there since I am on the road alot (Like tomorrow LOL)

Rooting these days is amazingly easy, considering when I first rooted my Droid 2 a couple years ago I had to actually transfer the files to my phone manually, and enter long strings of commands in a terminal emulator ... I was scared to death that first time, I didn't want my phone to be an expensive paper weight LOL :icon_eek:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks Sydman for that answer! There are not many roms for razr anyway, correct? Another question... What if I did decide to want to install a rom. Would I unroot, the re-root using the utility but install safestrap instead of bootstrap? Could it possibly be that easy?

Sally, I totally agree with what you said. It almost seems like rooting is now so easy, that people don't appreciate the problems they could have if they do something they shouldn't. My best advice for anyone who wants to root, is do not do anything to modify your phone until you thoroughly read up on it and know it is safe... even if it is only to freeze some bloatware. Before freezing any apps, I made sure they were safe to freeze.

My next piece of advice would be to document every root change you make to your device... moving a file out of root, changing the directory path of a file, deleting a file... document it all. So if you need to change it back, you know what you need to change it back to.

Know what is irreversible and don't do it if it is unless you thoroughly know what you are doing.

Okay, that is my infinite wisdom for the day, lol!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Tis, to get rid of Bootstrap completely I believe you would have to use the Fastboot files to get the stock recovery back and remove all traces of Bootstrap. Unless that has changed since I used it last, just to be sure before installing Safestrap.

As for the ROMS there are a good number of them for GB, and they have a few for ICS now. They have them listed out in the hacks sections by what version they are to be installed on. Again I have not shown an interest in ROMS due to there usually being things that don't work, and the fact that I am a little sketched out by Safestrap.

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
Tis and Sally,

I am in a similar boat. I am rooted and did not root in order to run a different rom each day of the week. I just wanted a bit more control over my phone. I do not have the dev experience that many of the gifted folks have (Samurai and MattyP come to mind) but a basic understanding of the computer world. I read several threads and rooted when I felt comfortable. It was pretty east given all the great help on this site. I also updated to ICS (also very easy). So far, I am pretty happy where I am and while I have no real desire to flash additional roms (at least not yet!) I like the idea that I can if I want to.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks sydman! That seems a bit risky for my blood. I think I will be very happy where I am at. There is more than enough customization with this phone to keep me happy. Funny, the main reason why I rooted my og droid was to rom it, then to clock it, then to try out the best kernels. Thank god those days are over.