Power button not functional after recent update. Anyone else getting this?

wbobeirne

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I was holding off on the most recent OTA update for a few days, because I always needed my phone at the ready when the alert popped up. I guess it finally updated at some point, because now it's showing at the latest version. Just this evening, my power button has stopped functioning. The phone is fine, and the button seems fine since I can do the power button + volume down reboot, but it just won't wake / sleep the screen or bring up the power menu when I hold it down. I've done a factory reset (And unfortunately lost a lot of data, due to a bad backup :/) and initially it worked for a few minutes? But then it quickly stopped working again. Subsequent factory resets have had the button not work from the start. I'm pulling my hair out over this one, because my phone is perfectly fine aside from having to plug it in to bring the screen on. Oh, how I miss the physical home button...

Anyone else having this issue? Anyone have solutions?

JayWB

Reaction score
Same here!

I am also experiencing this issue. This started soon after I accepted the Android update to 4.1.2. The phone was great until then. Now I find the power button unresponsive as often as 4 times a day. Its frustrating when I see the indicator light flashing but no amount of pressing the button allows me to access my phone. Each time I must reboot. This may not be directly related, but this morning the power button was again unresponsive. Upon rebooting and turning on the phone I find the language had been set to Danish. Go figure! I am having serious buyer's remorse. This will most likely be my first and last Droid (Motorola) phone.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
To both of you, since factory data reset didn't fix it, I'd take it to a phone center site and site them. They'll likely suggest a replacement. Alternatively, you can dial *611 and discuss with technical support. Again, they are likely to replace immediately.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

OP
W

wbobeirne

Reaction score
Got a temporary workaround, Awesome On/Off was the only app that worked for providing an alternate way of waking up the phone without a power button. It's still wildly inconvenient, but at least I'm not totally screwed.

Going to try and work with Verizon on this one, but I have a sneaking suspicion I'm juuuust out of warranty.