Post Rooting Question

northeastern

Reaction score
Hello I just rooted my droid 2 and all went well but now i have a few questions.

I used titanium backup to backup all user apps and system data. is this what i need to do to make sure i have a fall back if something were to happen when installing new roms?

or should i install bootstrap (do i need to buy it from the app store) backup with that?

And finally is bootstrap required for flashing new roms?

Sorry for the dumb questions and thanks for your help

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
No dumb questions, we're all learning :)

For a /system and /data backup, you'll need Bootstrap to flash Clockworkmod Recovery and backup there (also where ROMs, themes, etc are flashed/installed). Titanium is great when you're doing factory reset between ROMs so you don't lose the data of your apps (ie progress in Angry Birds, etc) but, it won't help if something goes wrong.

If you need help with anything, let me know

This thread has been Thunder struck!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
By the way, :welcome: to DroidForums!

OP
N

northeastern

Reaction score
ok i think Im starting to get it. so it doesn't hurt to have things backed-up with titanium but if i wanted to go and restore current settings say a month from now i would go through bootstrap and restore the backup i am currently making then i would go to titanium and restore that saved data and all would be exactly back to what i have now?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
ok i think Im starting to get it. so it doesn't hurt to have things backed-up with titanium but if i wanted to go and restore current settings say a month from now i would go through bootstrap and restore the backup i am currently making then i would go to titanium and restore that saved data and all would be exactly back to what i have now?

Your backup already has your data as well. A backup has everything in it. Titanium is more for going forward. Now, if you ran a ROM for a bit and say, moved up a few levels in a game, then restored a backup, you can use TB to bring that data to your backup.

OP
N

northeastern

Reaction score
oooh ok that makes sense. so basically bootstrap is a more full backup where tb is meant to be used more often to backup smaller things like game levels and such.

If I loaded a rom with bootsrap would i think load my saved data from TB to get all my apps and such up with that rom or is that automatically done? (i think i read you need to wipe your system before installing most roms)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yes, Bootstrap flashes Clockworkmod Recovery and boots you into it to make/restore backups, flash ROMs, themes, etc, and more (in advanced option). Before flashing ROMs, a factory/data and cache wipe should be done (after a new backup of course) for best results. Then, when the new ROM has booted up (first boots can take up to 5 minutes), open TB and you'll see your apps at the bottom with a line through them. Touch the ones you want to restore, select restore, and app+data and you're done :)

OP
N

northeastern

Reaction score
i have a new question after searching on here a bit. so i have my backuo with bootsrap, but when reading the difference between rom manager and bootsrap i kept reading about clockwork recovery. what is this? do i have that covered with my backup i created in bootsrap?

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Clockwork is where you made your backup (the DOS looking screen with green text). Now if I understand correctly the clockwork on d2 bootstrap and rom manager is the same. But I also think that on the d2 you need to use d2 bootstrap and click on bootstrap and then go into rom manager and flash clockwork recovery. You could also just do it all from d2 bootstrap recovery app. Seems easier.

Sent from my rooted DROID2

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If you have Bootstrapper, ROM Manager isn't really needed. "Bootstrap Recovery" is a verb, not a noun. The actual recovery you made the backup in (if you used Bootstrapper) is Clockworkmod Recovery.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
But I also think that on the d2 you need to use d2 bootstrap and click on bootstrap and then go into rom manager and flash clockwork recovery.

Incorrect. That's what "Bootstrap Recovery" does.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction. I saw someone do that in a youtube vid. I must have just been mistaken