Please Help: Unable to Root because Debugging mode will not work in PC mode.

LordShadowz

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've done some searching and don't see my issue posted anywhere. So Im going to see if you wonderful people can help me.

I have The Droid X with 2.2 OTA update.

I'm using Windows 7 Starter 32 bit OS.

I'm attampting to do the one click doroot method. I have the Java SDK installed, I have the Android SDK installed and the api packages for android 2.2, 2. and the other versions all installed.

I have my pc's anti virus turned off.

When I connect my Droid X, with debugging mode on, it connects fine with the motoconnect software activating and the PC recognizing the droid x in USB mass storage, charging only mode, and Windows Media Syn mode. Debugging mode works perfectly with the aforementioned modes.

However,

If I have debug mode turned on and connect using PC mode, the device disconnects from the PC and the Motoconnect software shuts down, and in device manager it says unknown device connected MB8810. I attempted to download the USB drivers and when I do them it says "Unable to install this driver because a more updated version is already installed.

If I disable debugging mode, in PC mode, the Motoconnect software turns on and my pc connects to the Droid X and shows it as a Droid X and will even list my new text messages and missed calls hehe.

If I turn on debugging mode in PC mode again, BAM, everything shuts off and it goes back to saying unknown device..

So I cannot root my phone because it requires PC Mode in Debugging mode.. And as I said the second I turn on debugging it says its an unknown device.

Any ideas on how to remedy this ?

Thanks in advance !
Billy

OP
L

LordShadowz

Reaction score
i had similar issue. i did mine in charge only mode

LOLO thats funny, It worked ! It says it needed to be in PC mode. Spent hours trying to figure out the freaken problem.

I put it in charge only and walla it worked. I am rooted lol.. So pissed.

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Its usually a driver issue with your PC not recognizing the debugging mode. Like stated above, it'll work in other modes as well.
But one way I fixed the issues was to uninstall all the Motorola drivers from my computer (uninstalled/ran program as Administrator) then the very next time I connected my phone in PC mode, I let it reinstall the drivers and it worked again.