Please help (sound profiles)...

clunker

Reaction score
Thanks!

I'm serious about the 10 bucks, though its not much for the work. If it works I'll also rate the heck out of it in the market and pump it up on the forums. Good luck.

OP
M

Matth3w

Night Ringer Pro with all contacts selected is about the best I have come up with so far, and it doesn't seem to work all the time.

OP
M

Matth3w

I don't want this to be a rant (the usual thing everyone says before a rant). It is great that you are offering to pay, so many people state that "someone should have written this by now for free", which I find mystifying. "I wish someone would write this or free" is a statement I understand, I don't get where the "should" comes from. So, kudos to you for offering payment up front!

That beign said, I don't want to offend, but $50 from one person would not get it done, most likely. If you haven't written applications its a reasonable assumption that an app that does a few simple things is easy to write. All too often it takes a lot more time that one would think. I know this sounds like whining, but I've been a programmer for a long time, no one ever understands how much goes into it, so I get requests all the time to bang out some feature quickly.

I think it would have to take many hours to write this kind of app. You need to do whatever it is that widgitizes the application, each widget has make the API calls to set all the different sounds as desired, you need a dialog for people to choose what the desired settings are for each profile. And of course there are lots of apps out there that people install with their own sound settings, you'd need some way to access those (probably a standard method for it but you'd have to research and program it). Then it has to be tested, including the install, uninstall, making manual changes to the settings and then applying settings via the widgets and vice versa, after each step you'd have to make the phone make each type of sound to insure the setting were actually set as intended. Each time you fine a bug, you try a fix and retest, then when its fixed you start the tests over from the beginning to make sure the fix did not break anything else. Find another bug at that point, go around the cycle again, and so on.

THAT being said, if I was a phone app developer I'd be willing to spend a lot of time developing this widget, because I want it too! It would make my life easier. I think posting to a developers forum and then drumming up supportive posts would show developers that there is a market with many interested individuals. There are a million WinMo apps that do this, I have to believe Android will catch up.

And, I'll throw in another $10 on top of the $50, maybe if we get enough pledges together someone will give it a shot!
I understand that 50 bucks isn't a lot. But obviously I can't afford to pay a developer 1000 bucks to do it. Well, I could, but I won't.

Here is my reasoning though:

1) I am not asking for rights to the program, which I would have with a developer program. On other words, I am paying AND relinquishing the rights to the program. If I paid a developer to make the program, they would get the money but I would have the rights to it and be allowed to sell it on the marketplace, thereby making some of my money back. In this case they could easily sell it on the market for 1-2 bucks because it would be the ONLY simple program that did EXACTLY this. Think of all of the Blackberry and tons of other phone converts that miss this very feature.

2) There is also a chance that someone out there has the know-how, interest, and boredom, and time to do this anyhow...so here is a chance to NOT be a professional but still make some money while doing some project for school or just for practice. If the roles were reversed, I would do it for free. It's just the way I am...if I had the know how and this program didn't exist, I would want to do it just to see if I could.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
I don't want this to be a rant (the usual thing everyone says before a rant). It is great that you are offering to pay, so many people state that "someone should have written this by now for free", which I find mystifying. "I wish someone would write this or free" is a statement I understand, I don't get where the "should" comes from. So, kudos to you for offering payment up front!

That beign said, I don't want to offend, but $50 from one person would not get it done, most likely. If you haven't written applications its a reasonable assumption that an app that does a few simple things is easy to write. All too often it takes a lot more time that one would think. I know this sounds like whining, but I've been a programmer for a long time, no one ever understands how much goes into it, so I get requests all the time to bang out some feature quickly.

I think it would have to take many hours to write this kind of app. You need to do whatever it is that widgitizes the application, each widget has make the API calls to set all the different sounds as desired, you need a dialog for people to choose what the desired settings are for each profile. And of course there are lots of apps out there that people install with their own sound settings, you'd need some way to access those (probably a standard method for it but you'd have to research and program it). Then it has to be tested, including the install, uninstall, making manual changes to the settings and then applying settings via the widgets and vice versa, after each step you'd have to make the phone make each type of sound to insure the setting were actually set as intended. Each time you fine a bug, you try a fix and retest, then when its fixed you start the tests over from the beginning to make sure the fix did not break anything else. Find another bug at that point, go around the cycle again, and so on.

THAT being said, if I was a phone app developer I'd be willing to spend a lot of time developing this widget, because I want it too! It would make my life easier. I think posting to a developers forum and then drumming up supportive posts would show developers that there is a market with many interested individuals. There are a million WinMo apps that do this, I have to believe Android will catch up.

And, I'll throw in another $10 on top of the $50, maybe if we get enough pledges together someone will give it a shot!
I understand that 50 bucks isn't a lot. But obviously I can't afford to pay a developer 1000 bucks to do it. Well, I could, but I won't.

Here is my reasoning though:

1) I am not asking for rights to the program, which I would have with a developer program. On other words, I am paying AND relinquishing the rights to the program. If I paid a developer to make the program, they would get the money but I would have the rights to it and be allowed to sell it on the marketplace, thereby making some of my money back. In this case they could easily sell it on the market for 1-2 bucks because it would be the ONLY simple program that did EXACTLY this. Think of all of the Blackberry and tons of other phone converts that miss this very feature.

2) There is also a chance that someone out there has the know-how, interest, and boredom, and time to do this anyhow...so here is a chance to NOT be a professional but still make some money while doing some project for school or just for practice. If the roles were reversed, I would do it for free. It's just the way I am...if I had the know how and this program didn't exist, I would want to do it just to see if I could.

I spent a good six hours with the program yesterday, pouring over code, I've gotten a tiny bit closer to understanding, but still a bit from pulling this off.... But I'm not giving up.

I will make this, even if someone gets it done before me. I am now determined!

Rettocs

Reaction score
Quick Profiles is the closest thing to what you want, the only thing wrong is no widgets. I would like someone to make this type of app too, but until then, I have fallen in love with QP.

OP
M

Matth3w

Quick Profiles is the closest thing to what you want, the only thing wrong is no widgets. I would like someone to make this type of app too, but until then, I have fallen in love with QP.
Actually, the closest program is called Night Ringer Pro, but it still falls short. Completely ignoring a widget idea, this program doesn't do what I want, I've already tried it and the other version out. I'll repost what I said from another thread:

---

To get Quick Profiles to work where it sets everything to vibrate, you have to have the notifications set to vibrate at all times through their applications.

So in other words, if you're like me, and want to have everything either ring only, vibrate only, and alarm/phone only (3 settings), this won't work. I don't want my phone vibrating AND ringing. If it's sitting on the desk next to me or on the couch next to me, I don't want it to vibrate AND ring. No reason.

With ringer mode set on vibrate, and notification volume set to 0%, your notifications will be completely silent and the LED will blink...UNLESS you have the notifications set to vibrate at all times via their respective programs.

---

Night ringer does exactly what I want except the following problems...on night mode it silences everything but emergency contacts from calling you. So to get calls as part of the night option (if you want calls and alarm only to come through) you need to select your entire contact list (which is why you need the Pro version, because the regular only allows you to select two contacts)....which, by the way, does not have a select all option, so you have to manually click each one. However, say someone from an unknown number that isn't in your contact list calls you...it won't ring.

Also, Night Ringer forces More Icons Widget to close almost every time you change profiles. And it says it forces close, but the actual icons don't stop functioning or disappear so I'm not sure what exactly is force closing, so it's just an extra click.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
I found an app called Volume Widget on the market.

It *almost* worked. It didn't have an option for vibrate on notifications and alarms.

From what I can tell that's the problem with ALL of these widgets/apps. Maybe there is a limitation in overriding the control unless you are rooted: similar to the screen capture applications.

I attempted to backup several of these apps so I can mail it to myself and open them up to look at them, but it won't allow me to back them up :(

I'm not giving up yet, still trying to figure this out!

OP
M

Matth3w

It *almost* worked. It didn't have an option for vibrate on notifications and alarms.

From what I can tell that's the problem with ALL of these widgets/apps. Maybe there is a limitation in overriding the control unless you are rooted: similar to the screen capture applications.

I attempted to backup several of these apps so I can mail it to myself and open them up to look at them, but it won't allow me to back them up :(

No , it is an oversight with the development of the program.

Locale can control those notifications and that doesn't require root.

nerdbox08

Reaction score

No , it is an oversight with the development of the program.

Locale can control those notifications and that doesn't require root.

Well, if I can find one of these apps I can open, I might be able to get past it.

Purgatory

Reaction score
Who lives a life where they have a specified time where they do EVERYTHING?

I completely agree, and if I had the time, I would create it... after learning how to write for android. But between the upcoming wedding, having a 5 year old, and just moving into a house, i don't have time to do anything right now. I was just looking for something to do the same thing, and after finding nothing in the marketplace, I came to the logical solution, look on the forums. I have found nothing so far, but from what you all are asking for on this forum, this is the type of program I want. so what if I am home at 10 pm, I don't want to have it go in sleep mode if I am having people over! I will keep watching this thread and see what people have to say, thanks for the help guys.

OP
M

Matth3w

I wish you would make it, although I have pretty much come to terms with it by now. I use Quick Profiles and ChompSMS and that does about 99% what I want it to do. The real issue is the vibrate function because QP won't let you individually control the notifications even though we know it can be done because they do it in Locale. Chomp has a setting "vibrate only when ringer is set to vibrate" so that takes care of that...but GMail when QP is on vibrate is silent because I don't want to set it to vibrate ALL the time. If my phone is on ring I don't need a vibrate from GMail.

Purgatory

Reaction score
To anyone listening, I believe all we are looking for is a widget that will turn off everything individually as we see fit, but once we click on it again, it will put everything back to the way we had it. All we need is a damn sleep mode we control!

OP
M

Matth3w

Sleep mode you can pretty much control with Quick Profiles.

All I am looking for is basically something that can have EVERYTHING set to vibrate without having to have it vibrate ALL the time.