Please help (sound profiles)...

M

Matth3w

...will pay $50 for someone to make this app, or will pay you $10 via PayPal to point me to the app that already does it...

Here's the deal...I want to be able to link to a shortcut for three different settings...like how we have a widget to turn off system settings, I want to be able to change my sound profile. I want three different profiles:

- Sound off except for alarm and ringer (no notifications)
- Sound on for everything (for when I sit around the house)
- Vibrate for everything (for anytime I leave the house)

Don't say locale. Locale ****ing blows. I have (had) it. It takes at least 15 minutes to update my location and only works half the time as it is. I'll be home for up to 30 minutes before it updates my profile...or I'll be driving out in town for 15-20 minutes before it switches to vibrate. It also rarely turns my WiFi back on when I get home. I end up having to do everything manually as it is.

And I don't really want it to go by time. I just want to maybe one or two click at the most and have an option for those settings.

Sorry, I am just really frustrated that the phone doesn't have the ability to silence everything but the ringer and alarm out of the box. Just about every other phone out there has that ability, even ones that are free with a contract. :(

It's my only peeve/dislike about the droid.

I know this forum can help!

nerdbox08

Reaction score
...will pay $50 for someone to make this app, or will pay you $10 via PayPal to point me to the app that already does it...

Here's the deal...I want to be able to link to a shortcut for three different settings...like how we have a widget to turn off system settings, I want to be able to change my sound profile. I want three different profiles:

Don't say locale. Locale ****ing blows. I have (had) it. It takes at least 15 minutes to update my location and only works half the time as it is. I'll be home for up to 30 minutes before it updates my profile...or I'll be driving out in town for 15-20 minutes before it switches to vibrate. It also rarely turns my WiFi back on when I get home. I end up having to do everything manually as it is.

And I don't really want it to go by time. I just want to maybe one or two click at the most and have an option for those settings.

Sorry, I am just really frustrated that the phone doesn't have the ability to silence everything but the ringer and alarm out of the box. Just about every other phone out there has that ability, even ones that are free with a contract. :(

If you go into settings you can select an option called Silent mode that will still play media and alarms, but it won't play the ringer or any notifications. I know that's not a complete solution for the one problem, but it might be ... mildly helpful.

Just out of curiosity, do you want these things to happen automatically or would be using a widget to select your 'profiles' be okay?

OP
M

Matth3w

No I am perfectly ok using a widget to select those settings. It seems much more reliable to me than relying on a GPS signal and stuff. The idea of locale is great, but in reality, at least for me, it doesn't work for **** because it doesn't update quick enough. So that real sleek looking black widget where with one click you turn on/off WiFi, GPS, etc...if that was something where with one click I could change sound profiles, I would cream myself.

I know that it could be developed because Locale can change all of those settings. So if you have access to the settings, it could easily be done.

I wish I knew how to program my own app, I would do it myself next week.

I typed in "how to create an app for droid" and "create an app for droid" in Google and found nothing.

djh074

Reaction score
"setting profiles" lite, works great for me! has a 1x1 widget for easy switching. its in the market. hope that helps.

Last edited:

rjax

Reaction score
Assuming you're OK manually changing profiles with one click from your home screen, check out Profiles or Quick Profiles on the Market. I can vouch for Profiles personally, but many others seem to prefer Quick Profiles.

nerdbox08

Reaction score

Okay, I found Quick Profiles. It seems to do what you want it do. You make profiles, you go into it then select the profile you want.

Thing is, no widget, so you'll have to drag the icon from the drawer onto your homescreen for easy access. But you just click the profile you want active and voila!

I went into preferences and set it to show in my status bar when I change it, just to give confirmation that it indeed change.

I didn't play too much with it, but try it out and let me know :)

OP
M

Matth3w

I'm working on the suggestions...I would really love a sleek looking app that looks like the system wifi on-off etc...one click widget, 4x1, right there on the screen...but anything else that will work I'll be happy with.

BRB

rjax

Reaction score
You might also try Toggle Settings -- it has even more options, though I've always found it a little bloated.

I think the problem you're going to run into for all of these might be with respect to notifications and vibration -- that usually is controlled by the apps themselves, and not the system. For instance, I'm not sure if there's an app will change whether Gmail will vibrate or not vibrate when you get a new e-mail.

OP
M

Matth3w

"setting profiles" lite, works great for me! has a 1x1 widget for easy switching. its in the market. hope that helps.
This is pretty crappy for a couple of reasons:

1) When you select a profile it doesn't automatically close, so you have to back out of it.

2) You cannot set a profile to vibrate for both incoming calls and notifications unless I am missing something.

So when I set my profile for when I leave the house, it will vibrate if someone calls but not if they send me a text, email, tweet, or any other notification.

OP
M

Matth3w

You might also try Toggle Settings -- it has even more options, though I've always found it a little bloated.

I think the problem you're going to run into for all of these might be with respect to notifications and vibration -- that usually is controlled by the apps themselves, and not the system. For instance, I'm not sure if there's an app will change whether Gmail will vibrate or not vibrate when you get a new e-mail.
If the phone is set to vibrate it will vibrate when you get a new email.

nerdbox08

Reaction score

If the phone is set to vibrate it will vibrate when you get a new email.

I can't find an option for Profiles in Toggle Settings, can you?

OP
M

Matth3w

I haven't looked at Toggle Settings yet. Trying it now.

OP
M

Matth3w

Toggle Settings has way too much crap. Not really what I'm looking for.

OP
M

Matth3w

Assuming you're OK manually changing profiles with one click from your home screen, check out Profiles or Quick Profiles on the Market. I can vouch for Profiles personally, but many others seem to prefer Quick Profiles.
Also garbage. I bought the pro version, and you can't just change the entire phone to vibrate. Oh wait that was Settings Profiler Pro.

OP
M

Matth3w

Another one that doesn't work.

Why are there no options in ANY program just to make the phone vibrate? The entire goddamned phone?

If you use the Beautiful Widgets program, they have a Vibrate Button Widget. Same with Toggle Ring or whatever, has the phone set to vibrate. When you select that, EVERYTHING is vibrate.

Why do none of these other programs have this option?