Playing videos on Droid X

irishguy1

Reaction score
Hello - sorry if this has been answered, I did a quick search and did not see it on the forums...I am a new owner of a Droid X and was wondering what video formats the Droid X will play (i.e. WMA, MPG3/4, etc...) also what is the best way to get these videos from my PC to the phone (Vcast, access as a drive). Thanks for your assistance.

D

dvdcatalyst

Hello - sorry if this has been answered, I did a quick search and did not see it on the forums...I am a new owner of a Droid X and was wondering what video formats the Droid X will play (i.e. WMA, MPG3/4, etc...) also what is the best way to get these videos from my PC to the phone (Vcast, access as a drive). Thanks for your assistance.

Hi Irish,

There are quite a few threads on this on these forums.

By default, the X will play non-DRM MP4 files out of the box. Both H264 and MPEG4-SP will work.
There are video players in the market that enable support for additional formats such as RockPlayer, vPlayer, and supposedly VLC is coming out for Android in a few weeks.

To transfer them to yourr phone, you use the USB cable, and mount the phone as "USB Mass Storage" which makes it appear on your computer as a removable drive. It doesn't matter where you put the files, Gallery will find the MP4 files.

There are a few links in my signature that might be useful for you. To start with video, I would suggest to have a look at my trailer-thread, and download a few zip files to get a feel for it.

OP
I

irishguy1

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks DVD catalyst - one more quick question - does it work the same way with wav and mp3 files - i.e. just move via usb and mass-storage? thanks again and also appreciate the threads/links on your message.

D

dvdcatalyst

Thanks DVD catalyst - one more quick question - does it work the same way with wav and mp3 files - i.e. just move via usb and mass-storage? thanks again and also appreciate the threads/links on your message.

Sure, you are welcome,

I haven't tried wavs myself, but that shouldn't be a problem. for MP3's it will work like the videos, but then instead of Gallery, its the Music Player app.

If you use plays other than Gallery and Music Player for your media, the file-access part can work different. For some players, the files are not automatically located, and then the easiest is to use a file-browser to open the file that way.

I created a "Media" folder on my storage card, and in there a Music and a Video folder, and in there, I organized my content based on group. In the Music folder I have "Rock" and "Trance", and in the Video folder "Movies" and a few TV shows with the season number, and both Gallery and Music Player have no problem finding my files.

SWome music players don't like long file/folder names. If you have a total length of 255 characters or more for the folder path + filename

/sdcard/Media/Music/Rock/My Favorite Band's Entire Collection/My Favorite Band's First Album/01 My Favorite Band's First Song Performed Live at a Stadium 256Kbps.mp3

It is possible some of the files do not show up.

OP
I

irishguy1

Reaction score
Great - Thanks

Thanks again, appreciate it!:icon_ banana:

Gritwater

Reaction score
I convert to avi when in doubt and have a videos folder in my dicm ----> camera folder. I can access them by either opening arcmedia player (my player of choice) and selecting the movie, or through my gallery app, selecting the movie which automatically opens with arcmedia (I selected it as my default)

Sent from my Droid 2 while driving.

covertjohnny

Reaction score
Droid Live Link will stream video from a Droid...

LEA has just introduced the Droid Live Link that will stream video back to your computer using the backside camera with a special encoder software that uses the narrowest of bandwidths. Any suggestions how the general public might use this application and how well it might be received.