Play On Cloud Is A Netflix DVR For Android

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
playon-cloud-png.77505

Many Americans are ditching traditional cable services in favor of streaming services like Netflix and Hulu. The Achilles Heel for these services has been the inability to record. As long a you have a sturdy internet connection it really isn't an issue, but if you travel or are away from your unlimited home wifi connection you are left dead in the water. Netflix has recently made improvements on this front. You can now download content for later viewing as long as their licensing agreements allow, but this still leaves many episodes out.

PlayOn Cloud is a new app for Android that gives you the full DVR experience for internet streaming services on Android. The videos can be recorded with your PC and placed on the cloud for easy viewing on your Android smartphone! With the app you won't actually need a PC to store the videos like you did in the past with the PlayOn service. The only drawback is that PlayOn Cloud charges on a per recording basis. The cost is currently $.20 per recording which could easily get pretty expensive. Still it is nice to see the option exists.

via Play Store

Attachments

• playon-cloud.png
    playon-cloud.png
    216.1 KB · Views: 4,152

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I must be missing something. I don't get the point of using a cloud DVR to fix the issue of not being able to stream from the source due to spotty connection or data limits.

I guess I could see if you've got the new Hulu live or something, but Netflix will even let you download some stuff for offline viewing now.

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
I think the point is to be able to record a show to watch later while you're not at home. I don't think it's meant as a fix for poor connect unless I read it wrong. That is very possible though. :)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I read it as a cloud DVR, meaning you're still going to need the same connection to watch these DVR shows as you would to stream them in the first place.

The videos can be recorded with your PC and placed on the cloud for easy viewing on your Android smartphone!

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Add me to the confused list.
But I'm usually on that list anyway....

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

C3-PO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V20
I'm with you guys, this makes no sense, unless . . . .

The only thing I can see it being used for is getting the free trial of Netflix on a temporary email account, download everything you want to see, then canceling the service before the payment is due. Then watching everything at your leisure. Wash, rinse, repeat for the next month.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
I read it as a cloud DVR, meaning you're still going to need the same connection to watch these DVR shows as you would to stream them in the first place.
That's the exact thing I was thinking after reading the article.

Not that it matters. This will probably get shut down for legal reasons soon enough. I'll just stick to torrenting TV shows and watching them on my car's head unit during lunch break at work. :p

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You guys are right. This app seems redundant. Maybe the purpose is to download movies or shows prior to cancelling or before Netflix moves on to new content and removes stale content. In a since Netflix is already a cloud DVR. Lol