Third Party Company Provides 'PlayOn' Service - Netflix Streaming and more to Android

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;5n7ki-XfTv0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n7ki-XfTv0&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Since Netflix is hampered from offering their streaming video services over Android by persnickety movie execs and their DRM 'hitmen', third party services are our only way to have access to good streaming video. A company called MediaMall Technologies aims to help Android users with that. Their service is called 'PlayOn'. It offers a subscription based, third-party workaround to get streaming Netflix, Hulu, ESPN 3, Fox, Comedy Central, Spike, CNN, PBS and others. It requires a Windows PC which allows you to stream popular video content from your home computer to a TV, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or... our favorite Android device. With an Android device you can set it up via Wi-Fi, 3G or 4G connection.

Their pricing seems pretty fair too. They offer a free two-week trial. If you like it and want to sign up it's $39.99 for the first year of service and $19.99 for each year after. They also have a really competitive $79.99 lifetime subscription available. Below is a link to the full press release.

Source: BGR via MediaMall Technologies - Full Press Release and PlayOn

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
It sounds interesting. I'd have to see if it'll work with my Sony Blu-Ray first. It's not on the list, but they say it may work.

Greg

Reaction score
I was really excited about this. But I won't be purchasing it. It's very choppy and sound is USUALLY out of sync.

I meet all the requirements. A dual core processor, and a 5.0 internet connection.

Perhaps my Moto Droid 1 is too slow?

Definately use the free 14 day trial to see if it works for you. After that it's $80 for a lifetime subscription or a flat $50 plus $20 per month. It's just not worth THAT much even if it was working properly.

Of course... this is just my opinion.

jcolt

Reaction score
JUst tried it out with a Droid X - works great on both 3G and wifi

avgilbert

Reaction score
If one of the requirements is a dual core processor, then your Droid 1 does not meet the minimum requirements, so that could be it. If that's the case, then guess I'll be waiting till my next Android phone.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
i try it last night and it worked on my D1 pretty flawlessly. Then i had some issue with my computer and LAN connection. the app couldnt find my pc which was weird but it was late at night so i just closed it up. but it work on my D1 rooted oc'ed 1ghz on gimpsource rom if this makes a difference.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
but 80 bucks (flat one time) plus, netfilx, hulu subscription can be pretty pricey since those guys are coming out with their own apps. but the flip side is you can stream your own movies also.

Greg

Reaction score
If one of the requirements is a dual core processor, then your Droid 1 does not meet the minimum requirements, so that could be it. If that's the case, then guess I'll be waiting till my next Android phone.

The duel core is not required. It's what I have(more than what's required). Also... it's a duel core PC, not a duel core phone.

It's also very iffy. One moment it finds my router, then it doesn't. One minute it finds my PC, then it doesn't. Not sure what the problem is.

My droid isn't rooted or overclocked. I'm sure that would help a lot, but had too many issues when trying to root, so I gave up a long time ago.

Zargon

Reaction score
It's ok, but playback is a little choppy on my D1.

nmos

Reaction score
Does it re-encode the video on the fly and if so is the bit rate selectable?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

WishRyder

Reaction score
I used the playon trial on my HTPC a while back. Even on my home network with two powerful PCs, I wasn't happy enough with it to purchase it.

Right now, between my Slingbox and my Orb Media streaming (through the website, not the terrible terrible app), I have enough free media alternatives to satisfy me.

pyschohenry

Reaction score
I have used it with my D1, works great over WiFi, works pretty good over 3G. Over wifi had high quality resolution, over 3G was about DVD quality. Netflix worked pretty well.

I also streamed my own movies, and that work pretty well too.

WishRyder

Reaction score
I stand corrected...

I used the playon trial on my HTPC a while back. Even on my home network with two powerful PCs, I wasn't happy enough with it to purchase it.

Right now, between my Slingbox and my Orb Media streaming (through the website, not the terrible terrible app), I have enough free media alternatives to satisfy me.

To reply to myself, PlayOn sure has improved since I used it last year on my HTPC. It works great on my D1, and the best part, it works great on my Google TV as well.

So, I broke down and bought a lifetime membership. Another piece of my tax return goes to a good cause :)