1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Third Party Company Provides 'PlayOn' Service - Netflix Streaming and more to Android

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Feb 18, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

Since Netflix is hampered from offering their streaming video services over Android by persnickety movie execs and their DRM 'hitmen', third party services are our only way to have access to good streaming video. A company called MediaMall Technologies aims to help Android users with that. Their service is called 'PlayOn'. It offers a subscription based, third-party workaround to get streaming Netflix, Hulu, ESPN 3, Fox, Comedy Central, Spike, CNN, PBS and others. It requires a Windows PC which allows you to stream popular video content from your home computer to a TV, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or... our favorite Android device. With an Android device you can set it up via Wi-Fi, 3G or 4G connection.

Their pricing seems pretty fair too. They offer a free two-week trial. If you like it and want to sign up it's $39.99 for the first year of service and $19.99 for each year after. They also have a really competitive $79.99 lifetime subscription available. Below is a link to the full press release.

Source: BGR via MediaMall Technologies - Full Press Release and PlayOn
  2. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

It sounds interesting. I'd have to see if it'll work with my Sony Blu-Ray first. It's not on the list, but they say it may work.
  3. Greg

Greg New Member

I was really excited about this. But I won't be purchasing it. It's very choppy and sound is USUALLY out of sync.

I meet all the requirements. A dual core processor, and a 5.0 internet connection.

Perhaps my Moto Droid 1 is too slow?

Definately use the free 14 day trial to see if it works for you. After that it's $80 for a lifetime subscription or a flat $50 plus $20 per month. It's just not worth THAT much even if it was working properly.

Of course... this is just my opinion.
  4. jcolt

jcolt New Member

JUst tried it out with a Droid X - works great on both 3G and wifi
  5. sillyrabbitt123

sillyrabbitt123 New Member

working awesome from my droid inc and galaxy tab
  6. avgilbert

avgilbert New Member

If one of the requirements is a dual core processor, then your Droid 1 does not meet the minimum requirements, so that could be it. If that's the case, then guess I'll be waiting till my next Android phone.
  7. ntrddragn

ntrddragn New Member

i try it last night and it worked on my D1 pretty flawlessly. Then i had some issue with my computer and LAN connection. the app couldnt find my pc which was weird but it was late at night so i just closed it up. but it work on my D1 rooted oc'ed 1ghz on gimpsource rom if this makes a difference.
  8. ntrddragn

ntrddragn New Member

but 80 bucks (flat one time) plus, netfilx, hulu subscription can be pretty pricey since those guys are coming out with their own apps. but the flip side is you can stream your own movies also.
  9. Greg

Greg New Member

The duel core is not required. It's what I have(more than what's required). Also... it's a duel core PC, not a duel core phone.

It's also very iffy. One moment it finds my router, then it doesn't. One minute it finds my PC, then it doesn't. Not sure what the problem is.

My droid isn't rooted or overclocked. I'm sure that would help a lot, but had too many issues when trying to root, so I gave up a long time ago.
  10. avgilbert

avgilbert New Member

Thanks for the clarification Greg, I completely misread that. My D1 is overclocked, so maybe I'll give it a try after all...
  11. Zargon

Zargon New Member

It's ok, but playback is a little choppy on my D1.
  12. nmos

nmos New Member

Does it re-encode the video on the fly and if so is the bit rate selectable?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  13. WishRyder

WishRyder New Member

I used the playon trial on my HTPC a while back. Even on my home network with two powerful PCs, I wasn't happy enough with it to purchase it.

Right now, between my Slingbox and my Orb Media streaming (through the website, not the terrible terrible app), I have enough free media alternatives to satisfy me.
  14. pyschohenry

pyschohenry New Member

I have used it with my D1, works great over WiFi, works pretty good over 3G. Over wifi had high quality resolution, over 3G was about DVD quality. Netflix worked pretty well.

I also streamed my own movies, and that work pretty well too.
  15. WishRyder

WishRyder New Member

I stand corrected...

To reply to myself, PlayOn sure has improved since I used it last year on my HTPC. It works great on my D1, and the best part, it works great on my Google TV as well.

So, I broke down and bought a lifetime membership. Another piece of my tax return goes to a good cause :)
  16. cnmsales

cnmsales New Member

Wishryder, go check out the tvlinks and icefilms script and get you a megavideo premium account. Pure heaven.
  17. WishRyder

WishRyder New Member

You had to go and tempt me to get a premium account. Thanks a bundle. :icon_rolleyes:

But really, thanks. :)
  18. azules9780

azules9780 New Member

So far I have gotten this to work on my D2 with a wifi connection. Xbox works too but I think it actually plays back better on my phone if that's possible lol. I cannot get it to work on my phone via 3g. If I can get this to work, count me in. I literally watched 10 minutes of a movie over wifi on my phone with only 1 short interruption because my connection speed degraded. It adjusted and played back flawlessly after that. I gotta get this to work on 3g. Give it a try guys, it seems pretty good and has potential to be pretty awesome.
  19. cnmsales

cnmsales New Member

Azules. Under mobile settings set it to manual and add the port to your router. Should take care of the 3g issue.

Also FYI to everyone. If you install Safari on your laptop then install flash for safari. Then add Android 2.2 to the User Agent String you can use m.playon.tv on your freakin laptop. Over any wifi.
  20. nicholb

nicholb New Member

I've been using PlayOn for just over a year for my in home streaming. It works great, just make sure you keep up with the updates. As the service providers (Netflix etc.) change from time to time, Playon has to release new versions to adapt. Most of the time they crack out a new version within a day. Once in a while it takes a little longer.

They released the iPhone client a few months ago and are just adding the Android one.

I have been very happy with the product. For in home streaming it has worked with every device I have. The only thing to note is some devices time out too fast for it and the device will give an error the first time you play a program. Just try again and it will work on the second time.
Search tags for this page

best 3rd party script channel for playon to get lst run movi

how does provide service to playon

run netflix android 2.1