Pixel XL: First Impressions

Discussion in 'Pixel XL' started by bsweetness, Oct 20, 2016.

?

What's your first impression of your Pixel XL?

1. It's great!

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. It's good.

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. It's ok.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I'm disappointed.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. It's terrible!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dendk

dendk New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It has been awhile since I had an Android phone but took to it naturally, had been in the IOS world for the last few phone iteratiions... Absolutely love the pixel xl , have been customizing it all weekend long and can not set it down.

2. mach330

mach330 Active Member

Ratings:
    +54
    So I noticed that the nav buttons don't disappear to do full screen . It's almost always there. I noticed this on chrome and most of the apps. I wish we can make it translucent at least.

I'm real like google assistant . I had my phone in a dock in my car with screen off. I said ok Google take me home and gave me nav to go home. Sweet.

Battery is good so far. I think it's better than 6p so far on that.

3. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +754
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel 2 XL
    The navigation buttons disappear when you use a full screen app, such as a game or when watching a video in landscape. The developer has to build it into the app.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

Ratings:
    +403
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
    I played with an XL at the VZW store a few days ago. I will say this phone impressed me more than any Android device in a really long time. I was all Android until a year an a half ago. Made a switch to Apple and have been pretty happy.

But I will say if I wouldn't be throwing away a $650 trade in credit on my 6 Plus for the 7 Plus I'd be getting an XL. I'll see how things go and maybe I'll switch back with the next gen Pixel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  5. CaptainSS

CaptainSS Gold Member

Ratings:
    +558
    One of Thee most entertaining personalities (review of a phone) I've ever seen.

6. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +315
    I have mixed feelings about the Pixel. Don't get me wrong, it's great overall. But I'm not finding a good reason to get rid of my S7 over it. It's faster, yes, but it lacks true water / dust resistance. Its camera is good, but I don't believe it's better than the S7. They each have their strengths in the camera department, but nothing beats the S7's speed and accessibility. This isn't necessarily the Pixel's fault, but I also lose VoLTE, HD Voice and tethering (on AT&T...).

At the same time, it feels very premium, fits great in the hand (regular vs. XL), and is so incredibly smooth and fast.

I've only been semi-impressed with the camera. It's a bit on the dark side in most shots compared to the S7 and iPhone 7 (or maybe they're on the light side?). It's quick, but every single shot is processing in the background, so if you want to double check your photo you actually feel the slowdown of HDR+.

And I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but there is no way I'm getting 7 hours of battery life in a 15 minute charge. Honestly the fast charging on this has not been very fast at all. Yes I'm using the OEM charger and a couple of different outlets.

Over all it's a very solid device and an incredible Android UI experience... I just think it should've been $100 cheaper.

7. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Senior Member

Ratings:
    +123
    Do you feel like a lower peak screen brightness has anything to do with your perception of the shot? For instance, if you upload the same picture from both phones to a independent device like a computer, does the Pixel actually produce a darker image?

8. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +315
    I've uploaded it from both phones and it's definitely a darker image in certain situations. It's not necessarily bad, and honestly in some scenarios it could be more realistic. I think my experience has mimicked this review so far:

Sorry, Google, the Pixel's camera isn't better than the iPhone 7 or Galaxy S7

It's a great camera - for a "nexus" - but generally speaking I still don't feel it beats out the S7/i7 when taking into consideration the entire package.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mach330

mach330 Active Member

Ratings:
    +54
    so i saw this video when someone activated google assistant then swiped up to get the old google now so you can share (snapshot perhaps). Nothing happens when I swipe up on mine when I launch google assistant. I was trying to see if it can do snapshot the old way without pressing power/vol down.

10. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,696
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I THINK you swipe up before launching Google Assistant, but I could be wrong.

11. Amagine

Amagine Active Member

Ratings:
    +94
    So far for some of the units I've been able to test. I agree with this statement. While the materials science is vastly improved over the Nexus line. This iteration has too many things missing to quantify the premium price. I feel most of the improvements have been in the software. Aside from the camera, the rest of the phone is almost, dare I say it, mid- tier.

It's a great step forward. But like I said, too many options missing. Make it water/activity proof for one. I don't use wireless charging at the moment, but not having the option entirely is disappointing. Also a deal with providers to make google drive data over the air free would be a blast if I can't get expanding storage.

Search tags for this page

pixel xl forums