Physically Speaking... a detailed comparison

JFMFT

Reaction score
I think a few people were a bit worried when they found out the Galaxy Nexus (LTE) was thicker than the Galaxy Nexus (GSM/HSPA+) variant. .53mm doesn't sound like much, yet some people seemed to distort the amount of thickness .53mm really is.

To ease some anxieties and to help make things a bit more clear, I spent about 20 minutes writing up a pretty basic color-coded chart comparing physical attributes (Height, Width, Depth (thickness), and Weight) of the two Galaxy Nexus variants, and a few of the most popular 4G phones on Verizon.

We all already know the internal specs like RAM, processor, storage (god I hope people realize by now that the Verizon variant really is shipping with 32GB storage and not 16GB), so I didn't bother with that stuff. Charts come in all shapes, sizes, and formats. I hope you find this one useful.

Check out my Google Docs Spreadsheet for a fun comparison: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Audp2WccKTn3dHhoajdYVWV1SW5HVlE0UjRVcDEzRUE

Some basic takeaways from this for me are:
  1. It's taller and wider than most other 4G phones, but most people don't seem to care if these measurements are not excessive (and they aren't, in my opinion, though I could see some arguing the height of the phone is a bit of an issue for one-handed use);
  2. It's thinner and lighter than most other 4G phones, and significantly so in most cases - 13% thinner than the Droid BIONIC, 32% thinner than the Thunderbolt (yikes), 30% thinner than the Rezound (wow), 21% thinner than the Droid Charge, and only 6% thicker than the Galaxy Nexus (GSM/HSPA+) variant. Times where the phone is thinner are significant amounts (20% or more), and where it's thicker are very insignificant (6%). I didn't include the RAZR because it's not really a fair comparison due to the weird camera hump (the RAZR is on the chart, however).
  3. The RAZR is the only phone to best the Galaxy Nexus (LTE) in more categories than any other phone (physically speaking), but it does so using a "thickness" gimmick (in my opinion) - the camera hump is misleading, and should be taken into account;
  4. The Galaxy Nexus seems to be superior in what are the most important categories: weight, and thickness (especially thickness).
Gotta go to work. Please be civil, lol.

doublea500

Reaction score
pretty cool spreadsheet. i think 1 data part may be wrong though. look at gnexus hspa vs lte version. the weight should not be the same for those.

as for the dimensions. i think if you like the phone in your hand and pocket then you should be ok. dimensions dont really affect my choice for a phone. i would never get the razr just because its thin.

OP
J

JFMFT

Reaction score
Well, the weight is listed at 135grams for both hspa+ and LTE models according to Google's own google.com/nexus and google.co.uk/nexus web pages. Check for yourself.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
wow, great job JFMFT! Thanks for putting this together!

ice456789

Reaction score
Apparently HTC likes their phones fat. To each his own. I like my phone to be not too thick, not too thin and I LOVE curves. I'm gonna say it, the Nexus is the Scarlette Johannsen of cell phones right down to the leaked pics.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
Apparently HTC likes their phones fat. To each his own. I like my phone to be not too thick, not too thin and I LOVE curves. I'm gonna say it, the Nexus is the Scarlette Johannsen of cell phones right down to the leaked pics.

Well put, I totally agree.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

OP
J

JFMFT

Reaction score
After owning the Thunderbolt, I will never own any phone thicker than 10mm again. Too fat. And weight is important too.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk