PDA Net And Verizon Billing...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by nicks124, Jul 27, 2010.

1. SwiftLegend

SwiftLegend Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Of course there is a chance of getting caught, but don't be stupid. Just because you CAN use something all you want DOESN'T mean you should. You can use your credit card all you want, but it's gonna come back to bite you in the arse when you can't afford the 5,000 dollar bill...
    I hope and would expect Verizon not to completely stop us from tethering. If people hear that you can tether with Verizon without problems/limitations, it could make people switch to Verizon, therefore, being a selling point.
    As for people who do abuse it, I hope Verizon catches you. You're ruining it for the rest of us. You're just giving Verizon more of a reason to create ways to stop us from tethering.

Only time I use tethering is when I'm at my house upstate. Practically in the middle of the woods, and the only internet service is at my uncles across the field. I only tether when I cba to walk with my laptop over there or when it's late and pitch dark outside. (Don't wanna have to fite off deer :p)

2. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Just curious as to how that actually works.

I understand some data types are not compatible with the Droid...But what I was trying to say is, how could VZW tell if I'm accessing CNN legitimately on my Droid vs. tethering and going to their cite on my computer? Are you saying the computer CNN would be sending me a different java type that would be a red flag? That also seems like it would be an incredibly massive amount of data to try and analyze.

#38 kodiak799, Jul 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  3. aminaked

aminaked Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it would be a lot of data to analyze. If they were to do it, they'd pick on the top bandwidth users first.

In your example with CNN, you're right that it might be impossible for VZ to determine that you're requesting the site via tethering. HOWEVER, if your phone doesn't support flash and there's a flash ad downloaded then that's an indicator of tethering. This point may be moot soon as flash is coming to phones.

The same thinking goes for any data that wouldn't make sense going to a phone. A Java applet (this is different from JavaScript), a netflix stream, a silverlight plugin...there's lots of stuff that COULD give you away.

Once again, I'm not trying to scare anyone from free tethering. I'm just talking about what VZ might be able to do.

4. smokiedabong

smokiedabong Member

Ratings:
    +14
    This is almost as good as a debate between creationists and evolutionists :laugh: . You got to love the arguments brought by people who don't know how a network protocol works or what the privacy laws are .

5. SwiftLegend

SwiftLegend Member

Ratings:
    +8
    That can be debated. I'm sure verizon knows about roms, especially 2.2 roms where flash is supported. Bet if someone did an anonymous poll on verizon employees, most of thrm have rooted droids/di/dx
    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

6. alphawave7

alphawave7 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard it suggested that the browser headers are different btw. phone and tether...but I only heard that in passing, and cannot recall where..I *think* it was Leo's TWiG or similar...

7. aminaked

aminaked Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    sure the browser on the droid probably has a different user agent string but that isn't necessarily very strong evidence of tethering as some browsers may let you change it

8. alphawave7

alphawave7 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I can and have on my Nexus One...but who's to say the footprint isn't indistinguishable...I think they're still different, and this is just one of many ways VZN could potentially detect tethering. I'm also wondering if the number of spawned connections could also be a clue....

9. Adecker

Adecker New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a friends thats a VZW rep and he is going to have his BOSS root his Droid 1.

10. AzJazz

AzJazz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, pilotcharles747 -

Actually, I was saying that rooting was required BEFORE PDANet and EasyTether. :)

But, here's another nugget: While PDANet and EasyTether are great apps (I have both), you truly can't get to the lowest level of the OS for internet tethering with either. I found this out when I tried to VPN to work through my Droid.

What I found out is that my work's VPN connections are not accessible when using PDANet or ET. Whether my work found a way to block it, or if VPN connections are just not possible, I don't know.

However, if you are rooted, you can get a free Android USB Tether app here. Or, Froyo via BBv0.4 also will allow VPN connections. I believe that both of these options work at a lower layer of the OS, which may mean that they are slightly less visible to Verizon when free tethering (though, I'm not sure on that).

(Side note, if you're not rooted: Between PDANet and EasyTether, buy ET! It's lots cheaper, just as functional as PDANet, and I found ET to be slightly faster and stabler when I compared the two a while back)

That said, I'm VERY happy that the official Froyo release for Droid doesn't have USB or WiFi tethering installed. Those of us that are rooted (or EasyTether'd) will probably be glad of this for the long haul.

AzJazz

#46 AzJazz, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  11. SixStringTheory

Ratings:
    +0
    VZW stores are about three steps down from forums. Contrary to all the "my friend works at VZW and has dinner w/ the CEO who tells him secrets" posts, very very few reps, CSRs, or even managers know any more than we do. They'll leak out some new device literature (manuals, training stuff, etc..) but otherwise are just like us board lurkers.

So don't base your opinion on what the corporation knows or does based on what anyone in a store knows or does.

They're all just as degenerate as the rest of us ;-p

#47 SixStringTheory, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  12. zamslam

zamslam New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think that in the HTTP header there's a property called something like USER_AGENT.

On my PC, going to Whats My User Agent? says:

Your User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

On the X it says blahblah Android blahblah DROIDX blah

So if they're sniffing your packets (without buying you dinner first, which would be rude) they should be able to detect a PC's browser pretty easily.

Search tags for this page
in pipe could not be opened
in pipe could not be opened pdanet

out pipe could not be opened

out pipe could not be opened err 5

outpipe could not be.opened on pdanet
pdanet android out pipe could not be opened error 5

pdanet out pipe could not be opened

pdanet outpipe could not be opened
pdanet outpipe could not opened
what happens if i use pdanet