Palm Users Who Changed to Droid?

KurtMD

Reaction score
Overall, these apps have improved my opinion of the Driod tenfold! It's gone from a toy to an actuall business tool in one day.

Oh I do agree - it is a fine tool, needing only some time to find the right apps for the job(s). Speaking of which, I have really abandoned Outlook for my Calendar and Contacts altogether. I now sync with Google for all of that, plus my pop3 emails, which is a good backup. I hated syncing Outlook to the Palm - always issues it seemed... With Google I can access everything from any computer and the Eris... lovely! This has converted me to a (provisional) fan of Google, and certainly of Android. (And there's no fan like a convert! :))

Couldn't agree more! My MS Outlook Calendar - DONE. I only use MS Outlook and it's Contacts now for my email through which I import multiple POP accounts and sort my email into different categories quite easily. It's hard to give up a tool as useful as that. I know what you mean about the syncing issues with Outlook to Palm - hated all the little quirks that could never be nailed down and resolved.

I've tried the POP email app on the Droid but, it seemed my mail was always a few days behind. Besides, I HATE emailing on a mobile phone anyway - rather have a full size keyboard, a PC and a real monitor for that.

BTW, you can also get OI Safe (to encrypt sensitive notes), OI Voice Notes (to attach Voice memos to notes), OI Convert CSV (imports/exports notes which are in Palm CSV format), OI FileManager, and a lot of other IO Notepad extensions which apparently really do a lot for the application. AND, they're all free. Although OI Notepad doesn't sync online (to be able to add/edit notes via PC/web - which would be REALLY NICE)... MyBackup Pro apparently does back things up nicely if anything happens to the phone and you need to restore ALL data to another one. Haven't gotten it yet, though. Still need to try out OI Notepad itself for a while to see if it's going to suit my needs.

Let me know your opinion of Evernote. Can you search it's contents through Power Search?

OP
lowtech

lowtech

Reaction score
Let me know your opinion of Evernote. Can you search it's contents through Power Search?

Well... I uninstalled Evernote. I already have sufficient dragons to slay in other areas of life/work, and this app just failed too often on my Eris. It refused to copy and paste from emails (essential for me), refused to open a .PDF (basic)... it's just not worth the space on my phone. It may well be perfect for some folks - it just does not have my name on it.

I'll rest on my Power Search laurels for now...! :wink:

mightyleemoon

Reaction score
I dumped the Pre for the Droid.

Couldn't be happier.

Their catalog is for crap. No video. Etc...

So much potential...wasted in the Pre.

Big A

Reaction score
I had the same Treo 755p & I tried to import all my contacts & calendar events. Not very successful. Because I was able to export contacts via category, I had very little problem with that. I exported each category, then imported them into Apple's Address Book. Worked nice, just had to make some minor adjustments.
On Palm Desktop, you cannot export calendar categories. You can only export the entire calendar. However trying to import that into iCal, Entourage, Outlook, etc is doesn't seem to be doable....sigh. The only way I've tried that work is manually exporting each calendar event, then importing it to iCal, etc...
How were you able to sync with google?

OP
lowtech

lowtech

Reaction score
I had the same Treo 755p & I tried to import all my contacts & calendar events. Not very successful. Because I was able to export contacts via category, I had very little problem with that. I exported each category, then imported them into Apple's Address Book. Worked nice, just had to make some minor adjustments.
On Palm Desktop, you cannot export calendar categories. You can only export the entire calendar. However trying to import that into iCal, Entourage, Outlook, etc is doesn't seem to be doable....sigh. The only way I've tried that work is manually exporting each calendar event, then importing it to iCal, etc...
How were you able to sync with google?

To sync with Google I set up the Google software (on Google's site) that syncs with Outlook and told it to sync one-way, to Google, for both the calendar and my contacts. It worked OK. Then I disabled it, to keep it from messing up in either direction. I lost categories, but that was not a priority for me anyway. Once I got everything adjusted in Google on the pc, including typing the names of all my contacts in again, putting last name first, then first name, so the contact app on the Eris would sort by last name, all went well for syncing the phone. Because the phone software for contacts sucks (IMO) I use aContact. I use Calendar Companion for the same reason - both are in Market.

Yohimbe35

Reaction score
I switched from the Sprint Pre to the Droid.The only thing I don't like is not being able to look at pictures in my e-mail. I hope there is a fix one day. I got to say the Pre opened my e-mail pictures exactly as they came. Not so with the Droid. I get a blue box with a question mark in it. Not good.
But overall I got the Droid rooted and it's awesome

johnnieeve

Reaction score
Once I discovered how simple the google "Cloud" works for contacts and calendars, I decided to start fresh with google and not transfer from Palm desktop or my Treo 755P. By doing the job manually, I deleted at least 100 contacts, updated dozens more, and cleaned up 6 years of calendar entries, too. Yes, it took some time, but the results were worth the trouble.
I miss Splashdata suites, but Splash ID is available now. Looking forward to Splash Money coming over.
My experience with the Droid has been first class.

OP
lowtech

lowtech

Reaction score
Once I discovered how simple the google "Cloud" works for contacts and calendars, I decided to start fresh with google and not transfer from Palm desktop or my Treo 755P. By doing the job manually, I deleted at least 100 contacts, updated dozens more, and cleaned up 6 years of calendar entries, too. Yes, it took some time, but the results were worth the trouble.
I miss Splashdata suites, but Splash ID is available now. Looking forward to Splash Money coming over.
My experience with the Droid has been first class.

Good job! I agree - it does pay to clean house now and then... I didn't do as thorough a job as you, but I certainly did clean up the contacts dramatically.

I still miss Datebk, but they are working on that for Android too, so we'll see how that works with Google on the Eris (in my case) and other phones...!

firehousejames

Reaction score
Once I discovered how simple the google "Cloud" works for contacts and calendars, I decided to start fresh with google and not transfer from Palm desktop or my Treo 755P.

I couldn't agree more. I hated waving by to Palm but I do not regret it. The google and gmail interface has been great for me. It took awhile to customize features and apps to make a system I was used to on the Palm but I feel I'm in the Zone now. Love the Moto Droid.

droidummy

Reaction score
Only thing I miss from my palm software is the color coded month view in the calendar.
On my treo, I was able to glance at the calendar in month view and see what type of events I had coming up just by color code. Home, work, travel etc..
Is there an app that does this? All events in month view on my Eris are grey.

Otherwise, love my Eris.

Big A

Reaction score
Only thing I miss from my palm software is the color coded month view in the calendar.
On my treo, I was able to glance at the calendar in month view and see what type of events I had coming up just by color code. Home, work, travel etc..
Is there an app that does this? All events in month view on my Eris are grey.

Otherwise, love my Eris.

I switched from Droid to iPhone.
However, google calendar has color options. You would have to create a new calendar. A separate calendar for home, work, travel, etc...

I switched from Droid because I couldn't search the calendar on the phone. You can search just about everything on the phone, but not the calendar. How stupid is that? No one at Verizon or Motorola could help figure how to search the calendar on the phone. Forget about even getting a response from google. I posted a couple of different times and got a reply stating they would reply within 72 hours. Still waiting....that was 3 months ago.

Good luck & I hope this helps

droidummy

Reaction score
However, google calendar has color options. You would have to create a new calendar. A separate calendar for home, work, travel, etc...

I switched from Droid because I couldn't search the calendar on the phone. You can search just about everything on the phone, but not the calendar. How stupid is that? No one at Verizon or Motorola could help figure how to search the calendar on the phone. Forget about even getting a response from google. I posted a couple of different times and got a reply stating they would reply within 72 hours. Still waiting....that was 3 months ago.

Thanks for the response Big A,
I do use Google calender, and it syncs perfectly with my phone. I have created separate calenders for travel, home, work etc. and color coded them. I use the app, "smooth calendar" and it displays upcoming events
and shows the colors next to the event.

What I am looking for, is colors in Month view.
The Palm calendar in month view would show red, green, blue dots or boxes for all day events. and colored dashed lines for events lasting more than one day etc.

It is a really minor thing, but I found it to be really useful.
All I see is grey triangles in month view showing an event in that day.
If I'm not mistaken, iPhone calendar in month view is grey as well.

Maybe I'm missing something and someone can show me the light. Err..color.

Thanks.

Big A

Reaction score

Thanks for the response Big A,
I do use Google calender, and it syncs perfectly with my phone. I have created separate calenders for travel, home, work etc. and color coded them. I use the app, "smooth calendar" and it displays upcoming events
and shows the colors next to the event.

What I am looking for, is colors in Month view.
The Palm calendar in month view would show red, green, blue dots or boxes for all day events. and colored dashed lines for events lasting more than one day etc.

It is a really minor thing, but I found it to be really useful.
All I see is grey triangles in month view showing an event in that day.
If I'm not mistaken, iPhone calendar in month view is grey as well.

Maybe I'm missing something and someone can show me the light. Err..color.

Thanks.

I don't have any other suggestions, sorry. You're right iPhone month view does show gray. However you can still scroll the day's events and the color code is next to the event.

JimmyD

Reaction score
Damn! I can't believe I just found this thread! (...and I'm about to go to bed now!)

I'll have to catch up on this thread this week and jump in on the conversation.

I'm a huge Palm platform fanatic from way back in the Handspring days! (as you might have noticed from my sig!)

Anyways, I'll be back in here this week. Good night for now though!