OTA update

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Went to settings, checked for new software, available, started download. Download froze. Was on WiFi. Download must be over 4G. Disabled WiFi. No help. Restarted phone, then download continued. Installation was spooky. So much time with a blank screen, then installing new Verizon software, then blank screen, back to installing new Verizon software, repeat two more times, wondered if I was in an unending loop. Finally! HTC screen, no, back to blank screen. OOOH, here's the HTC screen again!, and finally the phone turned on. Why can't they do all that stuff in the background and have one little progress bar that's a true indicator of when the installation will finish?:mad:

RezoundHound

Reaction score
Went to settings, checked for new software, available, started download. Download froze. Was on WiFi. Download must be over 4G. Disabled WiFi. No help. Restarted phone, then download continued. Installation was spooky. So much time with a blank screen, then installing new Verizon software, then blank screen, back to installing new Verizon software, repeat two more times, wondered if I was in an unending loop. Finally! HTC screen, no, back to blank screen. OOOH, here's the HTC screen again!, and finally the phone turned on. Why can't they do all that stuff in the background and have one little progress bar that's a true indicator of when the installation will finish?:mad:

Actually, there is a progress bar. If you pull down the Notification Bar it shows a progress bar allowing you to see the entire stage of the download. I did mine over WiFi and it worked without a hitch. I wouldn't trust 4G to do any kind of firmware update. Verizon might decide to have another 4G "outage" midstage and brick my phone.

RH

drknrgy

Reaction score
Is anyone here root/unlocked with this ota? Does it or has it effected root?
I did try to push my update last night and status bar showed that it completed but I believe during the "unpacking"
it may have failed. I got a green Droid with a red ! ?? Does anyone have any insight into this?
Also, after reading many user results it appears that the update may have slowed 4g on phone. Many test running Speedtest have showed slower than normal results after the update.
I am considering doing a factory reset and trying the ota push again but now hesitant after hearing negative results.
I am interested in hearing from those that had root/unlocked on their results and experience thus far with this OTA
Thanks!
Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

soccerdude77

Reaction score
I had root/unlocked and yes it did give me better call quality and better signal but I lost root and I can't get it back. Anyone out here have any ideas?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

cp24eva

Reaction score
I didn't have any huge problems to think of, but I'm happy that HTC is on the ball with getting things fixed. Some people are afraid that companies will neglect them as far us updates and fixes. Could this be a sign of things to come? In your opinions, do you think this update took to long to be released to customers? Like I said, I never had big issues, but I'm glad that only after a few months they pushed it.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Actually, there is a progress bar. ....RH
Yep, the notification showing the arrow moving down was working, and when I swiped down to open the notification, I saw the progress bar sitting at less than 5% and not increasing at all. Both the WiFi and 4G icons appeared at the top, so I made the assumption that the download was trying to use 4G and there was some sort of conflict. That's when I went to settings and disabled WiFi. Didn't help. Nothing was happening; 4G was inactive as was the progress bar. So I powered down, started up again, was in 4G mode since I had previously disabled WiFi, and the download completed. Didn't think that stopping a download part way would brick the phone, but shutting it down midway during an installation might.
The phone seems to be more responsive with the update. So far, so good.

EricJ311

Reaction score
The music player background noise for me at least seems better after the OTA. Anyone else getting the same thing? I've been listening to all kinds of stuff this morning trying to test it and so far it seems significantly better if not completely gone.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep, the notification showing the arrow moving down was working, and when I swiped down to open the notification, I saw the progress bar sitting at less than 5% and not increasing at all. Both the WiFi and 4G icons appeared at the top, so I made the assumption that the download was trying to use 4G and there was some sort of conflict. That's when I went to settings and disabled WiFi. Didn't help. Nothing was happening; 4G was inactive as was the progress bar. So I powered down, started up again, was in 4G mode since I had previously disabled WiFi, and the download completed. Didn't think that stopping a download part way would brick the phone, but shutting it down midway during an installation might.
The phone seems to be more responsive with the update. So far, so good.

Mine came overnight with wifi on and 4g off. Took about 15 minutes to download in dsl and another 10 minutes or so to install.
After reading nothing but positive reviews about it I went ahead and accepted it.
Other than taking my launcher and burgundy theme back to stock I haven't noticed any difference so far. There isn't but so much that can be done to improve very little incoming signal. It's raining here today so -95dbm is about normal for my area in this weather and it's fluctuating between -92 and -96 according to Signal Notification app I've got in the pull down bar
I haven't tried the music player yet

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

hoboX10

Reaction score
So I woke up and this was downloading with WiFi. It was however stuck at like 98% complete and would not finish. I restarted the phone and the download finished but now nothing else is happening. I don't think it is installing for me. What do I do?

Sent from my HTC Rezound

nelamvr6

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6
So I woke up and this was downloading with WiFi. It was however stuck at like 98% complete and would not finish. I restarted the phone and the download finished but now nothing else is happening. I don't think it is installing for me. What do I do?Sent from my HTC Rezound
Did you use the CleanTool Script? I did, and my phone exhibited the same behavior.i was finally able to get the update by doing a factory reset.

hoboX10

Reaction score
Did you use the CleanTool Script? I did, and my phone exhibited the same behavior.i was finally able to get the update by doing a factory reset.
I don't even know what CleanTool is, so most likely no I didn't use it. My phone is stock, I didn't even unlock it yet.

I really don't want to reset just to install an update.

EDIT:

Well I just let my phone sit around and came back after about an hour and it seems to have installed. I don't know why it didn't give any indication that it would do so after a long period of time. However I noticed when I came back the phone showed both the WiFi and 4G symbols in the top bar as other people have noted.

Fastbird

Reaction score
Mine downloaded this morning and appears to have installed as noted on the status screen, but I don't see any of the improvements like the 5 bars or anything. I'm rooted on the stock Rom. Any ideas?

Posted from my Rezound

EricJ311

Reaction score
I had to power cycle the phone for it to go through the rest of the install. After the download things seemed to have updated, but after the power cycle there was another screen I had to choose OK and then it went through a whole black screen with an "installing update from Verizon" or something to that effect. It took a few minutes to do that whole part. I left it plugged in and came back 10 minutes later and it was done.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I am rooted stock. Bloat is not there.

I went to settings -> Updates and was able to download the update. However I cannot get it to apply. Rebooting does nothing.

How do I force it to apply? I'm a-scared.

OP
E

esheesle

Reaction score
I am rooted stock. Bloat is not there.

I went to settings -> Updates and was able to download the update. However I cannot get it to apply. Rebooting does nothing.

How do I force it to apply? I'm a-scared.

I have a feeling debloating is causing our issues. I managed to get it to download and right as it finished downloading it beeped, but no reboot, no updating, no dialog, nothing. Anyone that ran cleantool get this to work yet?