OTA update today

drice72

Reaction score
Just got a message from the wife. Her TB is downloading an update today, as I post this thread topic actually. Does anyone know what this update contains, and what effect it will have on root? I told her if she has the option NOT to install the update until I can get some info.

Thanks

OP
D

drice72

Reaction score
I have stayed rooted through two ota updates on my Bionic is why I was asking.

OP
D

drice72

Reaction score
Thanks, I still have all the files on my comp just in case.

Kabel_Guy

Reaction score
Noticed an app associations selection to quickly set app defaults under settings->applications. Don't know if that came with this update but new to me.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's generally not a good idea to accept an OTA if you're rooted.

bitsnhoes

Reaction score
Uh guys... not to be a debby downer here, but this OTA is having some weird effects on my root. I am running clockwork mod, and stock HTC sense. The OTA rolled through this morning. But it didn't start to instal until I plugged it in to a charger it seems. The the phone powered down. Then it powered up showing the software installation screen. Then the boot screen came on. And that is where it stayed. Taking out the battery will restart the device for about 3 seconds before the request to turn GPS comes on. The minute you see that screen the device powers down and the loop starts up again. I still have clockwork, and it looks like I can go revert to a backup. But I am afraid this won't fix the issue. Any ideas? If I did keep my root, what can I do to disable OTA's so this doesn't happen again?

bitsnhoes

Reaction score
*update* went ahead and restored an earlier backup. Everything was up and running fine. I kept root. Then, just out of curiosity, I manually pushed the OTA. (it is OTA .19) ( I was going from .9) The same result occurred with my phone being stuck on the boot screen. If this is happening to you: YOU DONT HAVE TO RESTORE. JUST CLEAR YOUR CACHE IN RECOVERY. My question now is, what can I do to disable all automatic OTA updates from now on? OH... AND WHERE IS MY FULLY FUNCTIONAL ICS FOR THUNDERBOLT!?!

kcluggish

Reaction score
OTA Update on 5/17/2012

I don't know what all was in the update but it certainly killed my battery life. I unplug my phone at 5:00 am and when I plug it back in at 10:00 pm I used to have anywhere from 47% to 60% battery left. I am not a heavy user. Now by 8:00 I am down to 14%.

Nyobie

Reaction score
The OTA worked on my hubbie's stock Thunderbolt. Mine is rooted and when it rebooted, it was soft bricked with the little blue android doo-hickey and yellow triangle. I yanked the battery, rebooted into Revolutionary boot menu, cleared cache, rebooted, had the same problem. I yanked the battery again, rebooted but this time I re-installed the PG05IMG.zip file that I left in the root level of the SD card and after re-installing from zip, everything became operational with no problems. I immediately ran a backup by rebooting again into the boot menu and performing a full backup which took a while, just in case... No problems since.

And to date, I still haven't found the app to freeze that would prevent the OTA push from automatically attempting to install. How annoying!

By the way, the Thunderbolt hardware doesn't have sufficient CPU power to run full ICS with the spinning menus. You'll have to upgrade to a phone with more processor power to get ICS with all its known features. If I can locate the link where I read a detailed explanation that this is why we're not seeing full ICS for the Thunderbolt, I'll come back here and post an update. I was bummed when I realized that was the case.