Old application, but can't update?

neelsonwheels

Reaction score
So just today I keep getting this message that states "The version of the application is very old. Please update from the Market to keep up with the latest features." It is constantly popping up and is very annoying.

The Market says there is nothing to update! I have started deleting old things I don't really use. I've downloaded Lookout to scan my phone, and it reports all is well. I've uninstalled Market several times. I've deleted and reinstalled Facebook. I've rebooted several times. Nothing seems to work!

Do I keep deleting things till something works? Do I do a hard reset?

What do folks suggest?

samanthat

Reaction score
i keep getting that message too. it doesnt say which app, just to go to the market and update. i updated everything that needed it and im still getting that message.

OP
N

neelsonwheels

Reaction score
@Bob I don't know the app? It doesn't say (Just like samanthat just said)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Clear market data/cache. If that doesn't fix things we'll escalate to level two. :)

This came from my brain by way of my finger and my phone. Don't ask where any of them have been. Especially the brain.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
I have had that happen to my daughter's phone. You have to reset the Market. The market has been having a lot of problems lately and I am not sure why. So to give it a swift kick in the back side seems to work. To do so go to settings > applications > manage applications > market > clear cache then clear data. It will tell you that you will be deleting some things, say okay and then once its done go back to your home screen. Then try to go into the market. You will have to agree to the terms and conditions again (no biggie) and then the market will open. If you have any updates waiting they should show now and download no prob. This also should get rid of the "xxx out of date please update" message.

OP
N

neelsonwheels

Reaction score
Yea... I've done all the clearing cache/data several times. No dice.

I have been hearing problems about the Market lately as well. I'll just chalk it up to that, and hopefully it'll clear up in a day or so. In the mean time, I'll try not to get too aggravated and do something dumb:wacko:

Kvalhion

Reaction score
I just started getting this as well. Very annoying... did some searching but this is the only thread I've seen about it so far.

I did the clear cache and clear data on the market and then went back to the Downloads and it says I have 26 updates available. Strange. Hopefully whatever app is triggering this message gets updated.

If someone knows how to resolve it for sure, please share. :)

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Welcome to the forum. I have not been having this problem and when it happened to my daughter's phone a reset of the market worked. I will ask the rest of the Rescue Squad to give this a look and see if anyone else has any suggestions.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Market is just odd like that I have set all of my apps to never auto update and sometimes they show updates and sometimes not or I have applications installed that don't show as being installed - also if I clear Market Data and Cache all of my apps will show as needing updated so that is not surprising to me...what I do find interesting is this "pop-up" message that says the version of this application is very old - I would like to know what it is you are doing exactly when you get this message and possibly a screen shot of it

OP
N

neelsonwheels

Reaction score
The culprit was PhysiKey Keyboard app.

For some reason the update wasn't appearing in the market (even after all the clearing of cache and what not). Then later this afternoon it popped up and I updated. Viola! The message was gone.

I believe it was PhysiKey as I originally installed the free version which comes with a 7-day trial. After the trial ends it reminds you with a message saying to update (it becomes very annyoing just like todays message). I bought the paid version as the app is fantastic for me. This app is the only app I've seen that has a pop-up message.

I'm now curious to know if this is the same issue for others.

Last edited:

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it worked out

Sent from my Original Droid using the Exclusive Droid Forums App (Available Free in the Market) :wink:

cpfms

Reaction score
Is the app still working for you? I tried purchasing it and it would require a force close everytime i opened an email or sms.

OP
N

neelsonwheels

Reaction score
Yes it still works great for me. What version of Android are you running? When I was using 2.1 it was FC all the time so I quite using it. When 2.2 came I around I discovered the developer removed the voice portion (voice is standard in 2.2), and now everything is just dandy.

cpfms

Reaction score
Yes it still works great for me. What version of Android are you running? When I was using 2.1 it was FC all the time so I quite using it. When 2.2 came I around I discovered the developer removed the voice portion (voice is standard in 2.2), and now everything is just dandy.

2.2 out of the box with droid 2.