Official Shots Of Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
@npro1464, thanks god some one agrees with me! I am totally disappointed in what I see here, but the thought of ICS turned off from Day 1. I love Android, specifically GB, but the problem is now when I move from a phone to a tablet, I want an OS designed with a tablet in mind. When I use a phone, I want an OS designed with a phone in mind. I don't want a compromise here. Keep Honeycomb evolving and only allow future android tablets to be released with Honeycomb when they can be sold at a reasonable price. Then Evolve GB and keep it evolving with phones in mind. Not to mention the buttons look like they were ripped from iOS and altered slightly.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
@npro1464, thanks god some one agrees with me! I am totally disappointed in what I see here, but the thought of ICS turned off from Day 1. I love Android, specifically GB, but the problem is now when I move from a phone to a tablet, I want an OS designed with a tablet in mind. When I use a phone, I want an OS designed with a phone in mind. I don't want a compromise here. Keep Honeycomb evolving and only allow future android tablets to be released with Honeycomb when they can be sold at a reasonable price. Then Evolve GB and keep it evolving with phones in mind. Not to mention the buttons look like they were ripped from iOS and altered slightly.

I agree with this.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
notification bar looks nice. not to fond of the bottom bar tho considering the phones have the same buttons ON the phone, seems to take up screen space to me.

Since phones are moving away from soft or hard keys this is the way its going to be. On screen keys are the wave of the future. I'm sure there's OEM tweaks for phones already with keys, but moving forward you wont see keys on the phone much longer.

LLR00717

UNC

Reaction score
Looks freaking sweet! Finally the UI revamp we've been waiting for! Can't wait for CM8.

anewday

Reaction score
WTH, the home, back, menu and search buttons are software based now :icon_eek: I rather have it separate so it frees up room for other things on the screen. What would the benefits of having on screen buttons be?

Last edited:

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Since phones are moving away from soft or hard keys this is the way its going to be. On screen keys are the wave of the future. I'm sure there's OEM tweaks for phones already with keys, but moving forward you wont see keys on the phone much longer.

LLR00717
Just one more thing to break down on the phone too.

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
The benefits of having them on the screen is that the entire front or face of the phone can be almost all screen.
So, what is the benefit of such a move?
Quite simply, you will be able to have a larger screen without it necessarily being a larger phone. No longer will you need to have the addition of an inch or so for the hard keys. An inch doesn't sound like much, but you need to think of it in proportion to the size of the phone.
In reality, dropping that little inch means dropping what could be up to 20% of additional phone size if there were still hard keys.
There's a demand for larger screens, but also a demand that one can put their phone in their pocket. This is how both demands can be met.
Size matters and if the ladies say that's not true, they're saying it in order to not hurt someone's feelings.
Also the reality is this will in fact result in one less thing to break, as there are far more issues reported with the hard keys dying, than the screen completely failing.
This is why there's a bunch of apps out to mimic the hard keys as many people were SOL since the keys had failed and the warranty had expired.

walkin the walk while tappin the talk
danceswithbongs

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
The thing I would like to know is if you have a phone that came out before Ice Cream Sandwich will you be able to turn these off. I'm a fan of no hardware buttons, but don't want it taking up valuable screen space when I already have buttons on the device. Hopefully they'll cover this whenever they finally do the press conference.

C.o.m.m.a.n.d.e.r

Reaction score
i realize what your saying about the hard/soft keys being a thing of the past but if you notice those onscreen keys are always there meaning that inch of space you just freed from hardware keys is now takin up by another inch of space by the same keys so your not really getting the extra screen.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
i realize what your saying about the hard/soft keys being a thing of the past but if you notice those onscreen keys are always there meaning that inch of space you just freed from hardware keys is now takin up by another inch of space by the same keys so your not really getting the extra screen.

Except for watching videos the soft keys could be hidden, as ell as other times in addition to being moved. A slick move would be q quick simple gesture that triggers like a popup of 5-6 common shortcuts.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score

I'm guessing it's gonna be like Honeycomb. They disappear at certain times.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk