“Ice Cream Sandwich” Android 4.0 Slated For October Release

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
ice_cream_sandwich_logo.jpg

With the iPhone 5 strongly rumored to drop in either September or October, it seems as though Google has loaded up their cannons to return fire at Apple with their highly anticipated Android 4.0 update, dubbed “Ice Cream Sandwich.” First announced at Google I/O 2011, there is still a great deal of mystery surrounding the next version of Android, but thanks to reports from multiple sources, we have learned that it should be showing up on devices in October. We say devices, rather than phones, because Ice Cream Sandwich will not be a phone-exclusive platform; we’ll be seeing Ice Cream Sandwich on phones, tablets, computers… who knows where else.

Redmond Pie reported on a source who, according to them, has knowledge of Google’s Ice Cream Sandwich plans. The source states that the first device, which may be either a smart phone or a tablet, will be released in October (earlier than planned) to compete with Apple’s next-generation iPhone which is strongly expected to release either in September or October.

Here are some of the features we DO know about Ice Cream Sandwich:

USB Hosting
It is understood that Android 4.0 will bring about USB Hosting which will allow you to use practically any device with the tablet ranging from an Xbox controller for games to a keyboard/mouse for surfing and other things. You will also have the ability to integrate a USB device to work specifically with an app. So a heart monitor used with a fitness app, for example.

Tracks Your Face
Android 4.0 wil have the ability to track your face so instead of you trying to move around to get into the camera, the camera will auto-focus on to you instead. It will also be handy in video conferencing because the camera will move to you when you begin speaking and then move to whoever speaks so you don’t waste time trying to move your phone or tablet every time the you want to focus it on someone in particular.

Xoom Forums via OMGDroid

gmorgan056

Reaction score
hmmm i don't know. that's only a month and a half away and we know very little about this. I hope they don't rush it and then it ends up junk.

linkboy

Reaction score
Any bets someone tries to port it to the OG Droid.

gmorgan, I doubt its being rushed. Just because it hasn't been fully announced, doesn't mean they haven't been working on it (Nintendo, for example, loves to do things like this, New Super Mario Bros wasn't know about until E309 and released that November).

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Too bad Verizon wont get a stock phone smh. And if we do, itll be on the back end of things...

Enough with this skinning and overlaying nonsense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DroidBurgundy

Reaction score
hmmm i don't know. that's only a month and a half away and we know very little about this. I hope they don't rush it and then it ends up junk.

Yeah I agree, alot rides on this. Google needs to ensure that ice cream sammich paves the way into 2012, and also needs to attempt to avoid the fragmentation and plagued proprietary GUI's and skins that have srsly hampered Android's ability to effectively overthrow iOS

steelersfan

Reaction score
Too bad Verizon wont get a stock phone smh. And if we do, itll be on the back end of things...

I thought that the nexus prime was rumered to be on all carriers and come w/ asop and no skins

D2G cm7 2.3.5

lieblax

Reaction score
steelersfan;1684190 I thought that the nexus prime was rumered to be on all carriers and come w/ asop and no skins D2G cm7 2.3.5[/QUOTE said:
I have heard that as well, which would be awesome. Still waiting for GB here though ha

darkmatter

Reaction score
I'm very much looking forward to ICS on my nook color. The software buttons will be good, almost like the nook color was made for ICS...

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

RedSectorA

Reaction score
I wonder is it a possibility that Google would penalize phone manufacturers and/or carriers for not upgrading most of their phones (old and new) to ICS in a timely manner. Just some kind of assurance that we don't have another fiasco with phones like the thunderbolt still not updated to GB. I know most manufacturers signed some pledge to support phones for 18 months but when does that go into effect and is it retroactive?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6

Verizon has a stock android phone now. The Xperia Play.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
"We say devices, rather than phones, because Ice Cream Sandwich will not be a phone-exclusive platform; we’ll be seeing Ice Cream Sandwich on phones, tablets, computers… who knows where else."

How do you do that? That's the amazing thing, not just each phone but every device.
Wow, sounds too good to be true.