Official myLock thread - we don't like the lockscreen

M

Matth3w

I see your comment on the market page. I'm going to give it a try. I'm pretty anal about lag coming out of lock (I even have my sleep profile set to 250-550) so not sure if I will stick with it, but it's worth a try. And if my buddy Martin tells me it's good, it's at least worth a download.

M

Matth3w

So far, I really like it. Sometimes I can see where the lock screen appears for a milisecond but not terrible. No more so than swiping the damn screen.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So far, I really like it. Sometimes I can see where the lock screen appears for a milisecond but not terrible. No more so than swiping the damn screen.
That 'flicker' is normal. It's improved so much since Alpha 1 (I've got every .apk the developer has released here in the thread on my PC if you're curious LOL. 6 total I think?)

Sometimes I see it, sometimes I don't, but like you said, it's no worse than the swipe to unlock and I don't have to swipe :) There's also a myLockLite version on the developers webpage linked in the first post. It's a lil different but I think the developer is planning on integrating some of the functionality of the Lite version into alpha C to create a final release :)

It's not perfect... yet. But you know how development goes. It's a process :)

M

Matth3w

What's the difference? Hell the program I got from the Market seems simplistic as hell, not sure what the lite version would be lol

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What's the difference? Hell the program I got from the Market seems simplistic as hell, not sure what the lite version would be lol
Actually the version from the Market is the best I've had running. I've had the alpha C from the dev's website and it wasn't stable like this one is... not sure what changed .... but H e L L yea!

M

Matth3w

Oddly enough, this was one of my HUGE complaints about the G1 when I had it. I ranted and raved and got no where and got nothing but flamed.

My point at the time was - I don't need someone to tell me when to lock my phone.

This has gone part of the way to solving the problem by making it easier to unlock.

I still feel that if I don't want the screen to lock at all, but not stay on, I should be able to. In other words, when I am at home, unless I specifically lock the phone, I should just be able to touch it and it come back on.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oddly enough, this was one of my HUGE complaints about the G1 when I had it. I ranted and raved and got no where and got nothing but flamed.

My point at the time was - I don't need someone to tell me when to lock my phone.

This has gone part of the way to solving the problem by making it easier to unlock.

I still feel that if I don't want the screen to lock at all, but not stay on, I should be able to. In other words, when I am at home, unless I specifically lock the phone, I should just be able to touch it and it come back on.
"Shake to Wake" is going to be a feature of this app. It's a step toward that :)

M

Matth3w

Yeah but then if you move while it is in your pocket, won't it wake?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah but then if you move while it is in your pocket, won't it wake?
I didn't say I'd use it personally :) But I think he's planning on using toggles to switch between modes. Not sure tho. Don't wanna put words in his mouth :)

M

Matth3w

Now that wouldn't be bad. If you are just sitting around the house use a widget or something and turn on shake to wake, so by the time you pick up the phone it would be woken.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Screen time out setting keeps clearing out. Not sure what's going on.

Edit: Screen will not time out with persistent mode not enabled. I'm trying in persistent mode now.

I had this problem myself. I was tinkering with my theme in the phone, so I probably reset it 4 or 5 times over the course of an hour. Eventually it decided to stick, and I fortunately haven't had the problem since. It definitely could have been something I was doing though, as I was poking around in my phone's naughty areas (aka the system folder).

I had quite a few problems with A3 0204. First, I guess I should say, I am using a custom 2.01 ROM (AdamZ's Smoked Glass 4.1 currently) which I have overclocked (950max 250 min). I believe the 250mhz causes problems for myLock A3. I haven't tried A1, but in A2, I have none of these issues.

First when I tap the unlock button sometimes the screen won't come on, only the 4 phone buttons (back, menu, home, search). I can lock and unlock again, and it works on the second try. But if I hit one of the lit up buttons, specifically the home button, it enables the screen and takes me back to my phone. For some reason, this seems to disable myLock. Meaning the next unlock will have to be a slide to unlock. If I hit the camera button, the same thing happens, unlocks the 4 phone buttons but doesn't enable the screen. If I hit the home button, after I hit the camera button, I get my home screen, but myLock pulls a disappearing act. The icon in the notification bar, says "lock screen is disabled" but it lies.

Second problem, the screen times out way too fast sometimes. The screen times out in about 3 seconds or so sometimes. It used to happen with Alpha1 or Alpha2c when I would unlock, then not hit something right away, which is fine. But this happens even if I am hitting things sometimes. As an example, I had to update a couple programs in market, I clicked on notifications, then the updates available icon. Market loads up, and I click on one of the ones I needed to update to see it's description page. Between the time I clicked on it, and it loaded up (should have been less than 5 seconds), the screen timed out. I had this happen with the 2.1 Weather and News Widget too, when I was reading a news article.

In settings there is no option selected for screen timeout, after the installation of this, which I assume is what is attributed to this. If I change it to a time seems to fix it, but sometimes the option gets flushed somehow. I haven't figured out if it is because I am resetting myLock (due to the disabling problem above).

Third, this one is minor, I am not a fan of the notification icon. Not the art of it, I just don't feel there is a need for a myLock icon up there. Alpha1 didn't have one, and Alpha2c had an option to disable it if I remember right. My notification bar can become quite busy sometimes, especially if I am away from my phone for a while, the less that is up there the better. I like to quickly glance up there and see if I have texts, e-mails, missed calls, voice mails, the important stuff. I definitely can live with an icon though if it is necessary.

I am back to Alpha 2c, as it still runs great and I have no issues. I don't run a task manager, I also don't use any apps that mess with screen settings, like keepscreen or screebl. Obviously this all could have just been coincidence, and I was doing something wrong elsewhere, which is probably the case since I am often times a moron.

I am really glad this app has hit the market. This app is still one of my top5 favorite apps.

M

Matth3w

The one I just downloaded from the market you can disable the icon.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
The one I just downloaded from the market you can disable the icon.

Yeah my post was basically stating my possible issues with Alpha3 0204, which I think is the most recent alpha that has been released via his website. It is the most recent one I have tried at least. As far as I could figure out, I couldn't get the icon to go away. Really I am nitpicking at that, as there are much more important things that could be done with the app.

I don't want to scare people away from trying it, so don't think my post is negative at all. Alpha 2c, which is the one in the market is by far the quickest and best in my experience As I said, this is easily in my top5 favorite apps I have.

I see now that Alpha 3 0213 was just released on their site, I am gonna toy with it tomorrow, or later today rather. See if I can get it to play nice. I have plans to play with some other ROMs and apps I have been meaning to get around to messing with as well. I will report back with my findings of it.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the update on your experience with 0204. I'm sure petjakob will like it.
I've rooted, running BB OC'd @950mhz/250min with no issues.

0204 wasn't stable for me... and I got so excited to see myLock in the Market I installed that version yesterday.

I'll probably give 0213 a shot since I've been trying to help out the developer since jump street.

Good write up btw cupfulloflol