Odd Grey Screen Overlay Mysteriously Appearing

backnine29

Reaction score
ATT S7 running Nougat 7.0. A grey screen overlay started randomly appearing on my device. I can SOMETIMES slide the brightness slider back and forth to different level of brightness levels and it will go away. Then it comes back after a while. Sometimes the only way to remove it is to restart the phone. Soon thereafter it reappears. On every program screen and phone screen. I am using Basic display and auto brightness adjust is off. Does anyone know what this is and how to disable it? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Welcome to the forum.. I've not heard of issues with you described.. Does it look like a pop up? Maybe some app causing it..

Pixel 2 XL

OP
backnine29

backnine29

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.. I've not heard of issues with you described.. Does it look like a pop up? Maybe some app causing it..

Pixel 2 XL
Thanks. It is not a pop up. More like a full screen overlay. I called Samsung and the rep told me to start the phone in Safe Mode and see if the problem repeats. If so, take it an authorized repair dealer. If not, then a 3rd party application is the culprit. It did not repeat in Safe Node so I methodically uninstalled 3rd party apps and restarted each time. It seems that app Screen Burn-In Tool was the culprit.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Thanks. It is not a pop up. More like a full screen overlay. I called Samsung and the rep told me to start the phone in Safe Mode and see if the problem repeats. If so, take it an authorized repair dealer. If not, then a 3rd party application is the culprit. It did not repeat in Safe Node so I methodically uninstalled 3rd party apps and restarted each time. It seems that app Screen Burn-In Tool was the culprit.

screen burn-in was the issue. Makes sense - glad the problem was solved.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+

Great to hear it... I was thinking it was app related... Thanks for posting back results..

Pixel 2 XL