2.3.5 Razr Bugs list

cfaber

Reaction score
So I've noticed the following issues with this new (rooted) Razr running 2.3.5, what issues have you been seeing? Here is what I've found in the short amount of time I've had with this phone:

Speaker phone doesn't always start
In some cases such as starting speaker phone prior to dialling, or while dialling the speaker phone will indicate that it is on (with a green hash vs a grey one), however the only audio from the phone will remain though the prior ear speaker.

A simple work around to this is to disable and re-enable it.

Speaker phone quits during a call
In some cases it's possible to have the speaker phone quit during a call. This results in audio being routed to the primary ear piece rather than though the speaker phone. I've experienced this a few times, in all cases while checking email or browsing with the primary browser.

Simply switching back to the call and re-enabling it fixes the issue

Conference calling is unreliable
If you are currently connected and talking to someone, then 'Add call', prior to ringing actually starting the 'Merge' button will appear. If selected right away the call you attempted to merge will have no audio though. They will be able to hear you and your first call but no one can hear them.

When this happens it's not possible to unmerge the call, you must hang up completely to fix it.

Additionally the dialler application can completely fail if the person who you tried to add to the call calls in. This results in the dialer completely failing and all calls being dropped. This behaviour appears to be some what random, as sometimes it closes, other times it just locks up and the call continues with the first participant.

Primary browser crashes randomly
Occasionally the primary web browser will crash without warning. This is a bit annoying but not critical as it restarts right away.

Speaker phone randomly shuts off when adjusting volume control
I received a call, and answered it, right away I enabled speaker phone. The speaker phone worked fine until I went to raise the volume. Upon hitting the volume up button the speaker phone stopped working (even though still indicating it was on) I disabled/enabled it again and it worked fine throughout the rest of the call.

Touch screen stops functioning after calling voicemail
In some cases the touch screen will stop functioning properly after calling voice mail. This can be fixed by completely shutting down and starting back up again.

Constant unlock tone / ring tone after unlocking
If the unlock tone is enabled, upon initially unlocking the phone after power up you can experience a constant alert / ring tone until the phone is locked and unlocked again. To fix this just lock/unlock or disable unlock tone.

Smart Actions: turn screen off is buggy
If you're running smart actions with the turn screen off feature it will sometimes timeout the screen within seconds of unlocking the phone. To fix this simply disable the turn screen off feature in smart actions.

Internal and External Speaker Crackle
In some cases both the internal and external speakers can crackle while using them. It's believed that this issue might be related to the enhanced output modes over-driving the speakers. This is mostly seen at 100% volume or on very bass heavy audio (deep voice, etc). Try disabling the enhanced output. If this fails to fix the issue and you are experiencing this at lower volumes it's possible that you have a blown internal or external speaker.

Event Alert tone seems to reactivate on each new email received
This may not be a bug so much as a feature but it's annoying. If you've got an event pending and you view it but not clear it from your pull down menu it will result in the event alert tone sounding each time a new email is received.

Email syncing seems some what random
One issue I've noticed is that it seems the phone doesn't always sync emails from either google or my corporate email box. I notice this beacuse when I unlock the phone all of a sudden it starts syncing, even though it was scheduled to sync every (x) minutes.

HDMI overscan scaling will randomly stop working

Once in a while while running via HDMI, the overscan scaling settings seem to just stop working. Affectively disabling overscan or enabling full overscanning. There doesn't seem to be much ryme or reason to this. The simple work around to this is to adjust the overscan settings again and it will return to normal.

HDMI audio output stops randomly

I've noticed that every soo often HDMI audio just stops working. While watching a video, or listening to music you will find that all of a sudden the audio is muted. Upon disconnection of the HDMI cable, audio is still working correctly through the external speaker, upon reconnection of the HDMI cable audio proceeds to function normally again through the HDMI cable.

Soft keyboard fails to launch

In some rare cases the software keyboard fails to launch correctly and eventually times out and must be forceably closed. Once closed in some instances the keyboard fails to reappear and requires a total reboot of the phone.

What other issues have you guys been seeing?

Last edited:

NaplesAquatics

Reaction score
Not rooted, the touch screen function stopped when calling voice mail. Repeated several times. A total shut down and restart fixed it.

Jeff

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
So I've noticed the following issues with this new (rooted) Razr running 2.3.5.

Suggestion?; If we're going to call it a bug report thread, let's clarify it as a 2.3.5 ROOTED Razr Bugs list and move it to the Droid RAZR Hacks forum instead. It's not fair to the newbies or to the people considering the phone to push problems noted on a rooted phone in their faces since they probably don't even know what root is in many cases. :blink: I'm not saying the problems you're experiencing are unique to the fact that your phone is rooted, but who knows? Until we can isolate them and identify the cause, you could be causing people to shy away from a great phone. It's like when there's news of pathogen-tainted Lettuce found in a West Coast state, and all of a sudden nobody buys lettuce in states half the country away.

Last edited:
OP
cfaber

cfaber

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, however I was running into these problems prior to rooting it as well. I just included that as additional information.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Thanks for the suggestion, however I was running into these problems prior to rooting it as well. I just included that as additional information.

No problem, I can appreciate problems with new devices and just want them to be properly conveyed under the context in which they were experienced.

:happy3:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Rooting rarely effects handsets unless you start freezing apps. Thats when you start running into problems. I haven't officially welcomed you so welcome aboard cfaber

OP
cfaber

cfaber

Reaction score
Hi Thanks,

I'm a long time hacker / engineer and finally decided to move over to android based hardware after getting royally screwed by Nokia :biggrin:

Well just ran into another bug:

I received a call, and answered it, right away I enabled speaker phone. The speaker phone worked fine until I went to raise the volume. Upon hitting the volume up button the speaker phone stopped working (even though still indicating it was on) I disabled/enabled it again and it worked fine throughout the rest of the call.

tclarktc

Reaction score
Display uses roughly 60% of battery life when brightness is at 0. Wifi sometimes requires like 3 or 4 tries to connect and drops out randomly. Not really sure if this is a bug or not but ever since I got my RAZR it has charged painstakingly slow and then last night I changed a few things around and it charged fast once. Pulled an all-nighter to study and starting charging it again about 4 AM EST and it just finished.

OP
cfaber

cfaber

Reaction score
Um.. interesting you might consider sending yours back in for warranty work. The initial full charge on mine took about two hours, after that, a nearly full charge has been around 45 minutes or so.

OP
cfaber

cfaber

Reaction score
Anyone else having problems with the keyboard locking up and freezing from time to time?

Georgeofjungle52

Reaction score
I've not had any of these problems. My problem is My Apps, in the Market,isn't there. I'm told it might be Google's problem. Other than that, the phone connects to my car unit and works like my old Razr. The og Droid wouldn't connect without fiddling. I sometimes have a problem with the screen rotation not working unless I turn the phone 180 degrees.Then it works.

Frank2211

Reaction score
mobile data widget invisble

I have a recurring problem with the data connection widget. It keeps disappearing. After three or four reboots, it is displayed eventually. If it is invisible, you cannot ad another one to the screen.

Anyone with similar problems?:blink:

Gleason81

Reaction score
So I've noticed the following issues with this new (rooted) Razr running 2.3.5, what issues have you been seeing? Here is what I've found in the short amount of time I've had with this phone:

Speaker phone doesn't always start
In some cases such as starting speaker phone prior to dialling, or while dialling the speaker phone will indicate that it is on (with a green hash vs a grey one), however the only audio from the phone will remain though the prior ear speaker.

A simple work around to this is to disable and re-enable it.

Speaker phone quits during a call
In some cases it's possible to have the speaker phone quit during a call. This results in audio being routed to the primary ear piece rather than though the speaker phone. I've experienced this a few times, in all cases while checking email or browsing with the primary browser.

Simply switching back to the call and re-enabling it fixes the issue

Conference calling is unreliable
If you are currently connected and talking to someone, then 'Add call', prior to ringing actually starting the 'Merge' button will appear. If selected right away the call you attempted to merge will have no audio though. They will be able to hear you and your first call but no one can hear them.

When this happens it's not possible to unmerge the call, you must hang up completely to fix it.

Additionally the dialler application can completely fail if the person who you tried to add to the call calls in. This results in the dialer completely failing and all calls being dropped. This behaviour appears to be some what random, as sometimes it closes, other times it just locks up and the call continues with the first participant.

Primary browser crashes randomly
Occasionally the primary web browser will crash without warning. This is a bit annoying but not critical as it restarts right away.

Touch screen stops functioning after calling voicemail
In some cases the touch screen will stop functioning properly after calling voice mail. This can be fixed by completely shutting down and starting back up again.

Constant unlock tone / ring tone after unlocking
If the unlock tone is enabled, upon initially unlocking the phone after power up you can experience a constant alert / ring tone until the phone is locked and unlocked again. To fix this just lock/unlock or disable unlock tone.

Smart Actions: turn screen off is buggy
If you're running smart actions with the turn screen off feature it will sometimes timeout the screen within seconds of unlocking the phone. To fix this simply disable the turn screen off feature in smart actions.

Internal and External Speaker Crackle
In some cases both the internal and external speakers can crackle while using them. It's believed that this issue might be related to the enhanced output modes over-driving the speakers. This is mostly seen at 100% volume or on very bass heavy audio (deep voice, etc). Try disabling the enhanced output. If this fails to fix the issue and you are experiencing this at lower volumes it's possible that you have a blown internal or external speaker.

Event Alert tone seems to reactivate on each new email received
This may not be a bug so much as a feature but it's annoying. If you've got an event pending and you view it but not clear it from your pull down menu it will result in the event alert tone sounding each time a new email is received.

Email syncing seems some what random
One issue I've noticed is that it seems the phone doesn't always sync emails from either google or my corporate email box. I notice this beacuse when I unlock the phone all of a sudden it starts syncing, even though it was scheduled to sync every (x) minutes.

What other issues have you guys been seeing?

Wow, of all the "issues" you described, can't say I have any of these issues with my RAZR...maybe you got a lemon??

Gleason81

Reaction score

I don't believe you experienced these problems before root...haven't had any of the issues you described. I'm not rooted BTW. Good luck!

gator57

Reaction score
I have had my phone from release and since then I have had the phone randomly reboot 3 or four times and it has been during a call each time. My next problem would be that accessing the internet via the hotspot there are web sites that will not load due to the amount of content on them. I have confirmed this with Verizon techs as they have gotten the information from Motorola. Still like the phone, battery is fine for me and my usage lasts all day.